• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pet Peeves v. u mad?

Awful drivers plus the lack of a missile launcher on my vehicle.
I too am a grammar nazi...

The pharmacy being out of something. I mean seriously....ALL of the pharmacies in town were out of generic 30 mg Adderall IR last week, had all of the other dosages, but not that.

Trained Monkey's who work in Mobile- Phone Franchise's- If I ask you a question about the device, just tell me straight, don't go back over all the Jargon you learnt on training day- You are not being recorded and your Boss is not around; so just give me, in plain and simple English, the answer to what I requested Goddamnit!!!:!

one of my latest peeves is that my bf NEVER puts the toilet seat back down. i know its fucking dumb, but i have casually asked him nicely more than a few times to stop doing that.

I'm kinda weird about little things like that so you're not alone, fwiw. :)

Also, it annoys me when people don't acknowledge me whenever I open the door for them. No need for a "thanks", just a simple nod, or hell, a look in my direction would suffice. I'm not the doorman, pal.

I'm kinda weird about little things like that so you're not alone, fwiw. :)

Also, it annoys me when people don't acknowledge me whenever I open the door for them. No need for a "thanks", just a simple nod, or hell, a look in my direction would suffice. I'm not the doorman.

I work in the hospitality industry, and yea, this pretty much annoys the fuck outta me too.

^ Agreed. I very, very rarely come across someone who does not thank me for doing them this service. Likewise, it is rare that someone doesn't hold the door open for me when I'm close enough (and of course I thank them). Ah, Midwestern America. ;)

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an IDIOT...

And anyone driving faster than you is a MANIAC?!"

It's a wonder we get anywhere at all with all the idiots and maniacs floating around!

I know certainly nobody is driving at MY speed...

I'm not even a waitress anymore, but when people don't tip at least 15% for good service at a decent restaurant (meals normally cost upwards of $20 per person) it really kills me. It should be common courtesy!

Also, when people spell "y'all" as "ya'll." NO! Nononononono! It is YOU + ALL - OU. Contractions! That's elementary English. ><

WHY couldn't I have been born just a few hundred miles further south where they speak, read, and write a phonetically consistent freakin' language??!! English sucks butt! There is NO justification for putting our children through this torture! My (very bright in all other areas) little girl is struggling with reading. I'm beginning to suspect she may be mildly dyslexic. This stupid fucking illogical, inconsistent, shite language doesn't help her one tiny bit!

I wonder if there is any sort of movement out there in favor of keeping the spoken language as is, but reassigning spelling so that it makes some damn sense, e.g. "was" to "wuz"? If not, I wonder how I can start one?

i hate it when i have to edit song/artist/whatever info on iTunes. what the fuck iTunes.

eta: ESPECIALLY when it's a hip hop mixtape which iTunes doesn't understand that there are a million features, no, i know you can't find album art for it because it's a mixtape from a fucking GAS STATION just calm your tits iTunes and let me enter it all by hand.

Last edited:
i hate it when i have to edit song/artist/whatever info on iTunes. what the fuck iTunes.

eta: ESPECIALLY when it's a hip hop mixtape which iTunes doesn't understand that there are a million features, no, i know you can't find album art for it because it's a mixtape from a fucking GAS STATION just calm your tits iTunes and let me enter it all by hand.

This. iTunes is so annoying to me... Yet I still use it for some reason. -_-

Also, I can't stand parents who don't watch their children/let their children do whatever the heck they want while out in public. And on the subject of parents, I also hate when parents smoke around their kids/babies. Bothers the crap out of me...

I wonder if there is any sort of movement out there in favor of keeping the spoken language as is, but reassigning spelling so that it makes some damn sense, e.g. "was" to "wuz"? If not, I wonder how I can start one?

The incredibly complex and difficult English language has been around for about 1500 years and in its current form about 500.

So, I sincerely doubt it.

"For skor and seven yeerz a go, r fathrs brot forth on this contenent a nu nashun"

You see my point...

^ Actually, I Googled this after I wondered it, and it turns out that there were/are a few societies that propose spelling reform, with such high profile supporters as Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Carnagie, George Bernard Shaw, and a popular American president. FDR, I think, but I'm not positive. Next step is finding out how to join up!

^ Actually, I Googled this after I wondered it, and it turns out that there were/are a few societies that propose spelling reform, with such high profile supporters as Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Carnagie, George Bernard Shaw, and a popular American president. FDR, I think, but I'm not positive. Next step is finding out how to join up!

All of those high profile supporters are long dead, the most recent being 1950 (Shaw). I do not believe I saw any living supporters with remotely enough clout to enact such an enormous change.

I also did not see any membership bodies advocating reform.

Textspeak hurts my eyes. Can you imagine reading a whole book of it? The only time I abbreviate is when I'm out of characters. I think it just looks stupid.

Textspeak hurts my eyes. Can you imagine reading a whole book of it? The only time I abbreviate is when I'm out of characters. I think it just looks stupid.

While I agree (and adopt the same habits), we feel this way because we grew up using the language the way that we do - it has been linguistically programmed into our brains. However, if we had been taught with textspeak from the beginning, the way we spell and write things now would probably look foreign and stupid to us instead of the other way around.

Granted, I'm not really for a reform myself, as I'm one of those spelling and grammar nazis who has the linguistic patterns of the English language so ingrained that it would absolutely kill me to use something that is so "wrong." But, my Linguistics professor from last semester did teach me to at least be a bit more forgiving of those who are not as hard-set in the current rules of the English language.

Yet I still hate it when people send text messages with only one letter in them, usually "k." ><

While I agree (and adopt the same habits), we feel this way because we grew up using the language the way that we do - it has been linguistically programmed into our brains. However, if we had been taught with textspeak from the beginning, the way we spell and write things now would probably look foreign and stupid to us instead of the other way around.

Granted, I'm not really for a reform myself, as I'm one of those spelling and grammar nazis who has the linguistic patterns of the English language so ingrained that it would absolutely kill me to use something that is so "wrong." But, my Linguistics professor from last semester did teach me to at least be a bit more forgiving of those who are not as hard-set in the current rules of the English language.

Yet I still hate it when people send text messages with only one letter in them, usually "k." ><

=D

NSFW:
safe_imagephpd0fb40f4b8a4029eda8534e3639f59391w90h90urlhttp3A2F2Fwwwhappylikescom2Fp2F997.gif

All of those high profile supporters are long dead, the most recent being 1950 (Shaw). I do not believe I saw any living supporters with remotely enough clout to enact such an enormous change.
I didn't mean to insinuate that "high profile" translated to "enough clout to enact...change". A cracker-jack salesperson would be preferable, because what the measure requires is public support. I was just pleasantly surprised that those guys agreed with me!

I also did not see any membership bodies advocating reform.
Maybe this is something I can change.

Textspeak drops letters, inserts numerals, etc., and it can be painful to read. The spelling reform I'm talking about wouldn't look any more stupid than Spanish, which looks darned enlightened compared to the mishmash we wade through to convey an idea.

hipsters/punks/emos/goths/etc

makes me wanna grab my PR-24

i don't think my brother has ever once called before showing up here.

My neighbor (who's window is maybe 15 feet away) installed an air conditioning unit. It makes a high-pitched whining noise. :!