• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

!!!Warning If You Snort Opana ER!!!

Scared Straight

Bluelighter
Opana ER contains silicified microcrystalline cellulose which is a known cause of Silicosis (Advanced Lung Disease), an incurable and irreversible condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

I have been experiencing chronic chest pain and difficulty taking deep breaths for ~ 6 months. I was a daily snorter of Opana ER (60mg/day) for the past 3 years. I am female, mid 30's, and have no medical history prior to this issue. I have never smoked in my life. No asthma...

I saw a cardiologist yesterday due to the chest pain. He did an EKG and it showed a right axis deviation. This signifies that there is pressure on the right side of my heart, the side whos primary job is to supply blood and oxygen to the lungs. He is concerned about a pulmonary embolism and I am scheduled for a CT Scan for confirmation in a couple days. That is bc I did not tell him about my Opana abuse as I am afraid he will call my pain doctor. I was in the ER 2 weeks ago due to a feeling of suffocation and chest pain.

I did an internet search and found out that another cause of a right axis deviation in EKG is chronic lung disease.

I am TERRIFIED. Completely TERRIFIED.

I heard about Silicosis 2 months ago and discontinued snorting Opana ER. It may be too late for me. I will update everyone with my medical developments as they become available. Maybe this thread will save someone else from this horrible experience.

>>>>>>>>UPDATE 5/23/11<<<<<<<<

Had my CT Scan this morning. No pulmonary embolism....but I pretty much knew that. Knowing how I have abused Opana ER in the past. They had a radiologist check the scan for the embolism before they would let me leave.

Will find out full results of lung scan within a couple days. I will post the results.

Last edited:
BTW - You can plug Opana ER and it has a much higher bioavailability than if you take it intra-nasally. It's annoying to do so and takes more time but it is safer than the alternative.

edit - I was incorrect regarding silicified microcrystalline cellulose. From a manufacturers document on the preparation of this mineral product -

Silicified Microcrystalline Cellulose is composed of intimately associated microcrystalline cellulose
and colloidal silicon dioxide particles, derived from aqueous coprocessing prior to drying the material
during manufacture. The microcrystalline cellulose component is purified, partially depolymerized
cellulose, prepared by treating alpha cellulose, obtained as a pulp from fibrous plant material, with
mineral acids. The colloidal silicon dioxide is a submicroscopic fumed silica prepared by the vaporphase hydrolysis of a silicon compound. The Residue on ignition result indicates the percentage of
colloidal silicon dioxide; the remainder is microcrystalline cellulose.

Inhaling colloidal silicon dioxide can (and would, given enough exposure) cause silicosis.

There is a lot of good discussion on this topic here (in Advanced Drug Discussion)

Last edited:
edit - I was incorrect regarding silicified microcrystalline cellulose. From a manufacturers document on the preparation of this mineral product -

Inhaling colloidal silicon dioxide can (and would, given enough exposure) cause silicosis.

There is a lot of good discussion on this topic here (in Advanced Drug Discussion)

I saw that thread. I feel that my health experiences are significant enough to warrant a new thread. I hope you won't merge this:)

I think you should reconsider not telling your doctor treating you about this OP.

For other people concerned about silicosis these threads might also be a good reference. The first has a list of inactive ingredients per pill, and the second a method of distributing the drug throughout your nasal cavities while at the same time expelling air from your lungs minimizing the particles that get down there.
Inactive Ingredients A to Z
Much more effecient intranasal

Opana ER contains silicified microcrystalline cellulose which is a known cause of Silicosis (Advanced Lung Disease), an incurable and irreversible condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

I have been experiencing chronic chest pain and difficulty taking deep breaths for ~ 6 months. I was a daily snorter of Opana ER (60mg/day) for the past 3 years.

I saw a cardiologist yesterday due to the chest pain. He did an EKG and it showed a right shift axis deviation. He is concerned about a pulmonary embolism and I am scheduled for a CT Scan for confirmation in a couple days. I did not tell him about my Opana abuse bc I am afraid he will call my pain doctor. I was in the ER 2 weeks ago due to a feeling of suffocation and chest pain.

I did an internet search and found out that another cause of a right shift deviation in EKG is chronic lung disease.

I am TERRIFIED. Completely TERRIFIED.

I heard about Silicosis 2 months ago and discontinued snorting Opana ER. It may be too late for me. I will update everyone with my medical developments as they become available. Maybe this thread will save someone else from this horrible experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and i hope everything goes well for you with your medical treatments and scans. I was just wondering because i just started using Opana IR 10mg's and i was just wondering if their are any medical issues as far as IV'ing or snorting with the Instant Release form of Oxymorphone (Opana)? I have been mostly IV'ing and i am down to my last 30 mg so i'm almost out and no clue where to get anymore so i shouldnt have a problem anyway but should i be ok? i've probably done a total of 180-200 mg's over the past 5 or 6 days mostly by IV. About 15-20 mg's at a time for a decent rush (still not near as potent as i had hoped and expected).

microcrystalline cellulose is also in roxi's and lots of other pills as well though. how come we haven't been getting other reports from people who daily snort their oxycodone pills, adderall, dilaudid, ritalin, etc.?

OP i'm sorry to hear about your condition and hope everything ends up working out for you.

microcrystalline cellulose is also in roxi's and lots of other pills as well though. how come we haven't been getting other reports from people who daily snort their oxycodone pills, adderall, dilaudid, ritalin, etc.?

OP i'm sorry to hear about your condition and hope everything ends up working out for you.

Could it be that Opana ER is using silicified microcrystalline cellulose? I'm not sure about the ingredients of the drugs you mentioned. I snorted roxi's every day for years and never felt this way. Not even close. My CT scan should reveal lung damage, if it's present.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I agree with the mod's advice that I should seriously consider revealing my Opana abuse to my doctor.

<3<3<3

If there any other use for that silicified microcrystalline cellulose other than its appliance in medicinal use? I mean that if it is for example used in some other industry, could you tell your Dr that you might have been contaminated through that way so you dont have to tell about your abuse? I mean that asbest causes same condition.

But if you tell your Dr about the abuse there is no way that he could tell your pain Dr about it as that would break the confidentiality unless you have signed in a form where you let him inform other patients treating you about medicinally significant matters.

Could it be that Opana ER is using silicified microcrystalline cellulose? I'm not sure about the ingredients of the drugs you mentioned. I snorted roxi's every day for years and never felt this way. Not even close. My CT scan should reveal lung damage, if it's present.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I agree with the mod's advice that I should seriously consider revealing my Opana abuse to my doctor.

<3<3<3

oh ok my bad i didn't catch that the first time around.

If snorting was the cause, I feel bad you have to suffer the consequences. Your admission and warning to others just may help someone else, though.

The MSDS for silicified microcrystalline cellulose does not say that inhalation is nothing to worry about. How would that correlate to the Insufflation of Opana ER?

Yeah you sound like my cousin. He passed away from it about 2 months ago =/

Wish you the best. If the worst does happen...yuoll be remembered...

He abused the 40s fro 4 years though. So maybe you have a year longer left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for posting this. It does say that it may be harmful if ingested in great quantities. It also lists the maximum limits for safe occupational exposure. They specifically say that the material is generally regarded as safe when used in an appropriate manner.

I urge everyone to read the FULL MSDS sheet and to admit to themeselves that snorting this substance is not considered a safe manner of use.

I know it's difficult to accept bc snorting Opana ER is one of the best highs one can get. I'm young (30's) and already suffering from a feeling of suffocation.

damn, hope you tell your doctor and hopefully they will be able to do something for you bro.

Thanks for posting this. It does say that it may be harmful if ingested in great quantities. It also lists the maximum limits for safe occupational exposure. They specifically say that the material is generally regarded as safe when used in an appropriate manner.

I urge everyone to read the FULL MSDS sheet and to admit to themeselves that snorting this substance is not considered a safe manner of use.

I know it's difficult to accept bc snorting Opana ER is one of the best highs one can get. I'm young (30's) and already suffering from a feeling of suffocation.

You bet man. Im always happy to help other people. Much Love