The productions thread - Part III!

Hey everyone! I need advice and some pointers on this! So before you listen, I have tried..."tried" to make music in the past and failed horribly... haha. I just learned a brief lesson on a minor, g minor etc etc and a little bit about music theory. I am in NO WAY that good at all... So after learning some valuable info last night I have made this thus far. It's not done, or even close to being done. Some things are a bit off, like when the buildup whoosh noise happens, there's a little bit of music playing after that before the kick starts. Anyway, please tell me what you guys think. Whether it's good, or bad, just don't be a dick and flat out say "it sucks, stay away from music" or something. I mean, if it sucks, tell me what you would recommend and what your suggestions are. I do love feedback :)

ugggh so without further adue....here is this....
https://soundcloud.com/technoroar_1/testing-the-waters/s-qSbjV

EDIT: So, I edited the above sample further, moved stuff, deleted stuff, changed stuff etc and this is what I have now,and to be honest I like this one. I don't know if this could be considered edm, or dance or what. But I feel like I'm on to something. I still would like advice, good or bad!
It isn't done yet, but I would love feedback so far...
https://soundcloud.com/technoroar_1/testing-the-waters-2/s-oNKlW

Last edited:
Hey guys, Posting this here, because I THINK it might be considered techno...I made this, and it's still in the early stages of being worked on, just kind of threw it together (very new at making music to...) I would like to get into Techno, but honestly I am not sure if this is considered techno or not...haha
I know I want to add more claps, and hi hats, like I said its not done yet. But could someone shed some light, is this techno or some other genre!? o.o

https://soundcloud.com/technoroar_1/testing-some-stuff-maybe-tech/s-rq0y5

^Please keep your productions to the production thread Kira. :)

FTR I wouldn't call that techno. Perhaps the bass could be used in a techno track, but otherwise not. You need a solid hard kick for techno and lots of looped percussion.

The "testing the waters" thing you posted has some pretty nice and very clear melodies towards the start. You should never give up but you do need to start structuring your tracks more like electronic music is usually structured.

Start with a nice solid loud kick and introduce new changes every 32 kicks. You should have claps/snares every other kick, and open/closed hi hats etc.

^Please keep your productions to the production thread Kira. :)

FTR I wouldn't call that techno. Perhaps the bass could be used in a techno track, but otherwise not. You need a solid hard kick for techno and lots of looped percussion.

The "testing the waters" thing you posted has some pretty nice and very clear melodies towards the start. You should never give up but you do need to start structuring your tracks more like electronic music is usually structured.

Start with a nice solid loud kick and introduce new changes every 32 kicks. You should have claps/snares every other kick, and open/closed hi hats etc.

Whooooops. I actually reposted that in the other thread when I woke up thinking it didn't post. Then I saw that ^ and deleted it lmao.
Thank you so much for the advice though! I didn't know about the every 32 kicks thing. I will certainly try that out. When you say a loud kick, do you mean a kick that once it hits, it buzzes or rings your ears, or just one that is loud and not very deep?

For the longest time I could not get melodies to sound good at all, so I'm making progress for sure! I just can't seem to get more of that electronic sound.

^The kick was very quiet. Get a track and listen to it, then listen to your track. It should be the same volume roughly. Techno kicks are usually quite hard/deep.

Listen to the way a track builds. You might have a kick for 32 kicks, then a few closed hats will introduce. Then a clap, and then an off beat hi hat. Other sounds will be introduced, such as bass. Leads might gradually introduced with filters/automation etc.

Try and get hold of the vst plugin kick 2. Its very easy to make very clear, loud, pro kicks.

^The kick was very quiet. Get a track and listen to it, then listen to your track. It should be the same volume roughly. Techno kicks are usually quite hard/deep.

Listen to the way a track builds. You might have a kick for 32 kicks, then a few closed hats will introduce. Then a clap, and then an off beat hi hat. Other sounds will be introduced, such as bass. Leads might gradually introduced with filters/automation etc.

Try and get hold of the vst plugin kick 2. Its very easy to make very clear, loud, pro kicks.

Oh ok. I'll have to listen to a few tracks, on my headphones I could hear it, but it was low, and in my car with my sub it seemed loud. Stuff gets me confused sometimes :p
I'm torn between wanting to make techno, or edm music. I've been looking up tutorials and thinking of things to try. I might just try learning how to create both types of music and go from there. I'll definitely look for that plugin! I only have used the 808 kick in ableton, and that's it.

keep building on what ya doing, kira. just keep researching and find the sounds that inspire you. sample from the tracks. anything to get the sound you desire. immersion is key.

Last edited:
We all know it's derivative. That's how Pharrell works. Everything that Pharrell produces is derivative of another song

Just Got My Album Published, Released on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, etc...Feedback?

You might notice some of the song titles (and the album title) are very drug-culture inside references that only people like those who lurk and post on Bluelight would get haha. Anyone who likes to get buzzed or nod out or trip, my music may be enjoyable to you. I have a new album in the works due for 2019.

Would really appreciate anyones feedback, criticism, comments, etc...listen with headphones and crank it, great for CEV's and tripping or just chilling and relaxing, all different kinds of music on this album, each song has it's own feel. Band name is Alvalanker.

SoundCloud

Last edited by a moderator:
No ads I'm afraid, though you can post your SC and let people find it for themselves.

> feedback thread

You might notice some of the song titles (and the album title) are very drug-culture inside references that only people like those who lurk and post on Bluelight would get haha. Anyone who likes to get buzzed or nod out or trip, my music may be enjoyable to you. I have a new album in the works due for 2019.

Would really appreciate anyones feedback, criticism, comments, etc...listen with headphones and crank it, great for CEV's and tripping or just chilling and relaxing, all different kinds of music on this album, each song has it's own feel. Band name is Alvalanker.

SoundCloud

I have to point this out because it's so trippy to me, but I used that exact Dragoon Kain avatar from like 2001-2007 when my name was Kyk. It was just funny to see it again.

Hey that's pretty cool! Since it's music, I imagine one of those sub forums. I'll move over there for you.

gettin better at the mix part, composition as well, first time i came up with a chord progression with a 7th and diminished ... well i didn't "come up with it" but re sauced it ya dig what i'm sayin unlockin that da vinci code etc