The productions thread - Part III!

pip: wicked soundscape sounds, goes perfect with gloomy weather.

nomy: seriously impressive. very euphoric, uplifting sounds. reminds me of early 2000 raves, rolling while the sun rises. fucking excellent man.

Bagseed: dig the composition and sounds. sounds a bit thin tho id say beef up the lower end.

^ glad you like the sounds. creating spacey sounds is one of my favortite aspects in making electronic music. for the bass, yeah i know. i still produce on my hi-fi speakers (which are not that bad^^), but do not own monitor speakers. maybe i will rework that track sometime.

greets :)

pip: wicked soundscape sounds, goes perfect with gloomy weather.

nomy: seriously impressive. very euphoric, uplifting sounds. reminds me of early 2000 raves, rolling while the sun rises. fucking excellent man.

Bagseed: dig the composition and sounds. sounds a bit thin tho id say beef up the lower end.

;) it is what it is...and it is not much compared to the other tracks posted...
lol

what it was was my outlet last summer for - long story / 3 days of klonopin w/d awake the whole time taking it out on that, and some other songs. "low vibe" was needed.

<3
=D

Thanks for taking the time to listen man. And thanks for the kind words.

This is my latest effort. Unfinished by worth a listen if you like Drum and Bass-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5thteH8sa50&list=UUZxmqIoVvMZzDdhrkPRaUeQ&index=1&feature=plcp

I don't really like D&B. But I like this. Good production too mate.

Heres my latest WIP -

Am not really crazy about the mixing at the end, am mainly trying to get my sounds as beefy as possible and so far am liking the depth in the kick. Bass could use some phattening still however. Then just need some really good melodies and I'll really get into mixing it down well.

http://soundcloud.com/user2983496/simplicity-5

My Soundcloud. Damn standards and lack of creativity.

Interesting stuff ya got there.The Sound of Happy stands out for me. Nice one.

If you find a solution (apart from copious drugs) to the problem of a lack of creativity, please let me know. It's a shit isn't it? For me I think the biggest killer is working alone. Last year there was some collaboration going off that I was involved in over in NEMD, and it was good before people lost interest. I find it interesting and refreshing to work on other people's ideas while they have a go at my dead ends.

The initial ideas are easy to come up with. It's developing them that's the bitch.

.....But at home, it's damn near impossible.Most of the time I end up sitting with a blank Cubase project screen infront of me for 5 hours or so...

What sort of music do you produce by the way? As much as I hate doing it, listening or using random loops and samples really seems to help me get going.

If you're into trance/house/dance stuff, check out Vengeance Essential House & V E Club samples.

I know exactly what you mean with blank Cubase screens. I came up with a chord progression I really liked the other day, and try as I might, I cannot move forward to the next phase. The more I loop it, the more the original inspiration dissapears into familiarity. Argh!

I have the Vengenance essential dance vol 3 that I reluctantly use. But mostly for the hits. Which are bloody good.

The stuff I produce is very fluid in style. I've only recently got into EDM to be honest. My background is as a guitarist, but I've been there done it. I need a new challenge now. EDM is certainly that for me. If I was forced into a description, I guess it would be ambient trance...ish :) I have a link to my latest track a few posts back.

Look forward to you next project. Good luck!

If you find a solution (apart from copious drugs) to the problem of a lack of creativity, please let me know.

When I get the musicians "writers block" it usually means I'm putting too much energy and stress into "making something good". When I open up my DAW I try and not worry about genre, vibe or really anything more in depth than the key I'm writing in and maybe the tempo. Just fucking around without real concern for the result is where my best stuff comes out, I typically end up composing a pleasing track in like 8-10 hours tops if I get into the zone.

When you get that initial cool idea, I personally find it helpful to not use my intellect to figure out how to expand on it. You'd be surprised by what your "unconscious" mind knows about music. Like people seem to ALWAYS be repeating: "If it sounds right, it is right.". Just jam out. Use rough sounds, or even presets and loops. Like a rough draft. Sometimes I'll get some kind of theme popping up in my head, something general like "jazz band in the jungle" that steers my decisions in a certain direction. Then when you get the framework down for whatever just poured out of your head, you can crack down on the real development of your sounds, the mixing and ambience of it all etc. This is just my usual process, so sorry if it just sounds like nonsense to you!

Anyway, enough rambling. I totally forgot that there was someplace to share music here on BL, I've been producing for roughly a year now and I'm finally putting out some shit I really like. Here's some of my faves! Enjoy!

They Wish to Feel Alright
Incubus - Aqueous Transmission (Erisol Remix)
Precipitation
A Wordy Adversary
Dextas' Lab (This one is the most straight up WOMP WOMP dubstep I've done recently lol)

....This is just my usual process, so sorry if it just sounds like nonsense to you!

Not nonsense at all mate. It makes perfect sense. It's just my general approach is wrong. Maybe my 'traditional' instrumentalist background is the cause I dunno. But I'm a perfectionist and find it so hard to just create a 'sketch' and then perfect it. Computer Music mag recently did an article all about writers block etc, and that all made perfect sense. But it still didn't help :) Unless I change my own approach and expectations, I'm stuck with it. The result is one track every three months, and a hell of a lot of frustration! Still. I love it just the same. I would die without my music.

I like your stuff by the way. Nice work :) Destas' Lab is kind of the direction I want to take this latest work. Somehow!

^ you use cubase? maybe you should try out Ableton Live, you can also re-wire it with cubase and use both. imo the best DAW for getting ideas to sounds, especially with the awesome clip matrix, where you can basically create some loops, midi or audio, and play them together on different channels and spontanously mute tracks, launch new clips, etc. and while jamming around like that you can record it all into the arrangement view and get a raw sketch of your track by just playing around. works even better with a siutable midi-controller. my favorite DAW really. :)

Not nonsense at all mate. It makes perfect sense. It's just my general approach is wrong. Maybe my 'traditional' instrumentalist background is the cause I dunno. But I'm a perfectionist and find it so hard to just create a 'sketch' and then perfect it. Computer Music mag recently did an article all about writers block etc, and that all made perfect sense. But it still didn't help :) Unless I change my own approach and expectations, I'm stuck with it. The result is one track every three months, and a hell of a lot of frustration! Still. I love it just the same. I would die without my music.

I like your stuff by the way. Nice work :) Destas' Lab is kind of the direction I want to take this latest work. Somehow!
Thanks! Yeah I think I actually have that issue laying around here. I love that magazine so much. All of my tracks use their drum samples :) Yeah I think it's something that has to progress naturally, when I was like first starting out I wasn't very productive in terms of finished track output. I'd spend a lot of time working on something that really doesn't make the whole track "better" in any way, like changing kick drums over and over lol.

Fuck I'm trying to find this video I watched about workflow improvement, it was put on/sponsored by DJ techtools I'm pretty sure. The guy had black rimmed glasses and a fedora type hat I think- "artsy" looking. He was a producer, on the same label as Bassnectar- at least toured with him...not sure. It was incredibly helpful. About separating you creative/writing time, arrangement, mixing session. And just general lifestyle changes to facilitate a different way of thinking "getting in the zone". One major tip that sounds strange, that has helped me out a lot, is keeping a daily journal. A nice journal that I spent cash on and wouldn't want to loose. It doesn't matter what I put in it every day just need to make it a habit. Could be a poem, a rambling, a "dear diary" type thing. But it definitely helps clear your mind and get you into a better connection with your brain and hands in a way.

Last edited: