• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

what do you think of daily klonopin use for really bad panic/GAD?

behindblueeyes

Bluelighter
So, at this point, I'm pretty fed up. I was on celexa, switched to 30mg mirtazapine and started to feel like I was losing my mind so I switched over to Zoloft last week. Was also prescribed Ativan. Took the Ativan a few times, and my anxiety is flat out through the roof. I don't know what is causing it, but it is not normal. It's a combo of panic and general anxiety that lasts all day.

Ativan didn't work (figures), so I was prescribed Klonopin. I took .5 mg of it yesterday and while it didn't stop all of my anxiety it took away my "I'm gonna lose my mind!!!" feeling fairly well. I know it's only been 9 days of Zoloft but I'm not sure if I should just wait it out but my mind state is on constant overdrive.

So in my fed-up state of mind I was thinking of just using klonopin daily to help my anxiety as it's the only thing to somewhat take the edge off. I know it's habit forming and all but if I don't plan on stopping are there any other bad consequences, besides raising the dose?

btw... My anxiety is too bad w/o any meds, I need to be on something.

Well, I'm surprised that Ativan didn't work. Ativan's anxiolytic properties, aren't necessarily stronger than Klonopin's (for some people it is), but it is more efficient in the short term. Klonopin is better for long term anxiety. But they are both very strong anxiolytics.

I think diazepam (Valium) would probably be better for you than Klonopin.

So, at this point, I'm pretty fed up. I was on celexa, switched to 30mg mirtazapine and started to feel like I was losing my mind so I switched over to Zoloft last week. Was also prescribed Ativan. Took the Ativan a few times, and my anxiety is flat out through the roof. I don't know what is causing it, but it is not normal. It's a combo of panic and general anxiety that lasts all day.

Ativan didn't work (figures), so I was prescribed Klonopin. I took .5 mg of it yesterday and while it didn't stop all of my anxiety it took away my "I'm gonna lose my mind!!!" feeling fairly well. I know it's only been 9 days of Zoloft but I'm not sure if I should just wait it out but my mind state is on constant overdrive.

So in my fed-up state of mind I was thinking of just using klonopin daily to help my anxiety as it's the only thing to somewhat take the edge off. I know it's habit forming and all but if I don't plan on stopping are there any other bad consequences, besides raising the dose?

btw... My anxiety is too bad w/o any meds, I need to be on something.

Ativan (lorazepam), as kokaino already mentioned, is actually an effective anti-anxiety drug, but that doesn't mean it will work for everybody. Klonopin (clonazepam) is just about as effective as lorazepam, but some people have better/worse reactions to either drug. I have really bad anxiety issues as well, so I can completely understand where you're coming from. I use lorazepam (Ativan) for my anxiety and it is quite effective.

You can take clonazepam daily for anxiety, there will eventually be issues with tolerance and dependence, but which is worse, having a dependence on Klonopin or having horrible anxiety? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Again, kokaino beat me to it but I wanted to mention it as well, you may want to look into trying Valium (diazepam) if you're looking at Klonopin. Valium is longer-acting and tolerance to it will develop slower than tolerance to Ativan or Klonopin will.

In the end, however, you just have to find the drug that works for you. Just beacuse Ativan didn't work for you doesn't mean that Klonopin or Valium won't work.

Good luck man!

I have panic disorder/GAD and I'll tell you that I've managed to avoid benzo's almost entirely and I am really fucking glad. A lot of people get addicted to them and, once you're at that point, they can become really hard to get off. I've heard horror stories.

As a fellow sufferer, my advice would be to take only a short course of benzo's. I got xanax when I had to go to the hospital b/c of a panic attack and it worked ok. I'm glad I was on it only for a week. Give the antidepressants a really good try, they have really helped me. Also, daily physical exercise can work wonders- it really can.

Physical addiction sucks. I'm addicted to opiates and it's a weight that constantly hangs over my head even though I've dramatically reduced my usage. You don't need that on top of panic/GAD. It's a real pain in the ass man.

Well, I'm surprised that Ativan didn't work. Ativan's anxiolytic properties, aren't necessarily stronger than Klonopin's (for some people it is), but it is more efficient in the short term. Klonopin is better for long term anxiety. But they are both very strong anxiolytics.

I think diazepam (Valium) would probably be better for you than Klonopin.

Me too. I was prescribed .5 mg. I put it under the tongue during bad panic and it did nothing... took two more and finally felt something... more or less just drowsiness, not even real relief.

Valium crossed my mind, mabye I'll ask about it at my next appt.

I have anxiety and panic and take .5mg kpin twice daily... I recently had a horrible, horrible panic attack while I was on klonopin, but according to a drug test it hadn't yet metabolized (?) although I'd taken two tabs 6 hours prior... I'm trying to get a higher dose because .5mg honestly only cuts it for so long, maybe a month at the most.

Overall though klonopin has been a big help to my anxiety and panic... Unfortunately I was an idiot and abused it recreationally so now I have a much higher tolerance than I should. For me, someone with an overactive, over-analytical (Asperger's, it's embarrassing to admit though I suppose it should be mentioned) mind, I never notice significant cognitive impairments/being in a fog - Klonopin just shuts off that filter, that part of me that freezes me up in social situations, and makes me feel calm, relaxed and as though I can deal with anyone or anything. It's honestly been a miracle drug. I just hope I can get my dosage up!

I also find that memory impairments with Klonopin are much lessened than with other benzos like Ativan or Xanax. For me taking Valium as others are suggesting wasn't as soothing in terms of anxiety/panic, just more recreational.

I suffer from GAD and occasional anxeity attacks. I take xanax. It is an invaluable tool.

.5mg does fine for when I am anxious, but it takes 1mg for calm the storm of a panic attack. It used to take a little more in the beginning.

Talk with your doc. Find what works. Do NOT abuse it. Abuse will lead to increased tolerance and increased dependence and you will be fucked if your doc cuts you of for abuse / lying to them about it.

Tip:
I suggest using the meds you NEED for real problems as needed and party with something other than what is medically necessary. I almost never party with my anxiety meds or my pain meds. But they make a nice building block to add something else to for recreation.

I myself have been on alprazolam for the past 4 years for GAD. It works well for me, but it may not work well for someone else. It all depends. But as I mentioned earlier, diazepam (Valium) I think will be ideal for you.

I have anxiety and panic and take .5mg kpin twice daily... I recently had a horrible, horrible panic attack while I was on klonopin, but according to a drug test it hadn't yet metabolized (?) although I'd taken two tabs 6 hours prior... I'm trying to get a higher dose because .5mg honestly only cuts it for so long, maybe a month at the most.

Overall though klonopin has been a big help to my anxiety and panic... Unfortunately I was an idiot and abused it recreationally so now I have a much higher tolerance than I should. For me, someone with an overactive, over-analytical (Asperger's, it's embarrassing to admit though I suppose it should be mentioned) mind, I never notice significant cognitive impairments/being in a fog - Klonopin just shuts off that filter, that part of me that freezes me up in social situations, and makes me feel calm, relaxed and as though I can deal with anyone or anything. It's honestly been a miracle drug. I just hope I can get my dosage up!

I also find that memory impairments with Klonopin are much lessened than with other benzos like Ativan or Xanax. For me taking Valium as others are suggesting wasn't as soothing in terms of anxiety/panic, just more recreational.

That's what I plan on doing... .5 twice daily, lovin the long half life :).

The tolerance thing is a bitch though. If it wasn't for that I would consider being on these things for life.

I myself have been on alprazolam for the past 4 years for GAD. It works well for me, but it may not work well for someone else. It all depends. But as I mentioned earlier, diazepam (Valium) I think will be ideal for you.

Is Valium not as strong? I'll ask about that since mabye then I'll only have to take one pill a day.

I tried Xanax, and it worked, but I hated having to pop pills all day to keep the effects going.

And also, who gets euphoric off these meds? I have never experienced euphoria or better mood off of these, just sedation, but have heard of those who do. Is that only with higher doses?

^Tolerance develops at different rates for different people, and is dependent on many interacting factors. I've noticed that if you're using benzos for recreational purposes, tolerance tends to develop faster than if you strictly use benzos for medical purposes.

As far as euphoria goes, euphoria itself is a pretty subjective term. If I'm have anxiety and/or a panic attack, and take my lorazepam, and wave of anxiety relief that follows could certainly be considered "euphoria". I consider it euphoria, anyway.

Higher doses of benzos are going to make you feel good to a certain point, and then after that you'll most likely black out (experience memory loss - including the loss of the memory that you have taken a benzodiazepine, or how much of a benzodiazepine you've taken) and then it doesn't really matter if you experience euphoria because you're completely blacked out.

Is Valium not as strong? I'll ask about that since mabye then I'll only have to take one pill a day.

I tried Xanax, and it worked, but I hated having to pop pills all day to keep the effects going.

And also, who gets euphoric off these meds? I have never experienced euphoria or better mood off of these, just sedation, but have heard of those who do. Is that only with higher doses?

Xanax works, but yes - it sucks to have to dose so many times a day. I take 1 mg 3x/day. I don't find Xanax recreational at all. Valium is not as potent as Xanax, Klonopin, or Ativan - but it is just as strong. Of the 4, Valium is closest to having a euphoric effect.

The only benzos I've ever found euphoric were temazepam and nitrazepam, both strong hypnotics that you won't get for anxiety.

From my experience, with the assumption that you're looking for a therapeutic solution that doesn't involve SSRI'S (the result in efficacy was "inconclusive." Personally I developed almost a for of spidey-sense, except inztead of being cool it reminds me that j take them daily for a reason. Bonus: less antihistamine activity that. Lorazepam. Win-win. It's ultimately up to your doctor, though, but I can confirm that I take a daily prescribed dose of kpins (up to 3mg a day is my prescription) I only end up needing maybe 1-2mg. Again, YMMV.

Taking klonopin everyday is purely a waste if you ask me. Once we get accustomed to the effects and build a level tolerance from daily stable doses, I find it ineffective to handling anxiety and panic attacks, as the effects diminish and we are tolerant to it. As any drug. My opinion

I have been on 4mgs of clonazepam (aka klonopin) for about 8 years now for debilitating anxiety. It has been a God send for me. It works within about 20 mins and peaks around 45 mins. I can quite literally feel my heart rate slow down and am able to take deep breaths. When I am anxious I breathe very shallowly and this drug definitely helps. Downside; highly addictive, if I ever have to come off these I am terrified of the withdrawal. Use as needed unless prescribed on a daily basis..that is my two cents. Good luck.

I feel if used daily verse as needed, the effectiveness is dropped almost to ineffective completely.