Typical punishment for 6 drug charges (4 felony / 2 misdemeanor; 1st offense)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SangerRainsford

Bluelighter
What kind of sentencing would someone generally expect for a 1st offense where someone had 5 possession charges (4 of them felonies)?

Without knowing a jurisdiction or any of the charges the answers are going to have a huge range and likely not be very useful.

Dude your looking at at least a year in person if not longer depending on how much of each of these schedule 1 drugs you had on your person

^ A good lawyer may be able to help the defendant avoid prison or jail, get the defendant into a drug diversion program, or even have the charges dropped altogether.

You have to give us more information. Depending on how much of the substances you had and your location, you could be looking at anywhere from probation to 30 years in federal prison.

Sorry for not being more specific; the 4 felonies were all for 'personal consumption' amounts of schedule I narcotics, the misdemeanors were for marijuana and paraphenelia(sp?). There's nothing about intent or any other mitigating factors, and it's a 1st offense situation.
(and it's really not me - watch, I won't disappear in..however long this thing could take to conclude.. And if this were me, I'd never post it under my own account 8o )

So far there's been zero court dates (aside from the bond/advisory hearing), and those involved have been bailed out. Right now it's looking like drug court / diversion program are the best possible thing that could happen, the state attorney needs to give that option though if I'm correct.

You have to tell us what state or country your friend is getting charged by. Things that are a misdemeanor in Boston could send you to jail for years in Tampa.

.....uh-oh's...just to be sure, you're saying the tampa area is harsher than the boston area? :(

I probably shouldn't have started this thread, I'm not even comfortable listing the drugs, the area, how many were there, etc, god forbid I wrote something wrong I couldn't forgive myself and I'm writing this 'privately'...

Okay, this is as good as I can do - and mods: sry, but feel free to delete if need be - but based on the degree of the felonies and all that, the charges (according to FL law) should be the same as if one were walking past a cop on the street and happened to drop a baggie w/ cocaine powder, a baggie with a few various pain pills (all different pills = different class3 felonies here), a nug of pot, and a pot pipe. That's almost exactly what happened (even the substances), no other factors - where they were caught, how the drugs were discovered, etc - are of zero relevance (I assure you!).
I've been trying to figure this out for the party I'm concerned with, and it seems that trying to get drug court is the best option here...

Sorry I cannot just link the arrest report or something - not only is anonymity required due to my attempts to get this person into drug court instead of criminal court, but the other party who was caught w/ them...well...we're *100%* unsure on what they're doing, haven't spoken/seen them once since the arrest, so I cannot allow them to have any idea about my 'party' if that makes sense (and to be clear - neither of them were dealers or anything, there were drugs that were purchased for personal usage. But I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if it's possible to say "personX was the one who paid for the baggie, so they 'dealt' it to personY", or "personX enabled/pressured personY". Both people had the same charges, and both are not the types that would try to flip on people (not that it'd be very realistic anyways, odds are they couldn't located the hobo's they got the shit from in the 1st place....)

/again - this is NOT me!! I know everyone always writes that, but srsly just wait and see when I don't disappear!!

((( Maybe this "example" would be more helpful. This is not the actual chems (not all of them ;P ), but they're the same classes, types, and same charges:
total 4 felonies (3rd degrees) and 2 misdemeanors
1 - methamphetamine <3rd deg.felony>
2 - morphine (sml potency pills) <3rd deg.felony>
3 - morphine (medium potency pills) <3rd deg.felony>
4 - morphine (large, sustained release pills) <3rd deg.felony>
5 - pot (misdemeanor)
6 - paraphenelia (pot pipe, meth pipe; misdemeanor)

I changed the type of painkillers from the actual kind, and the kind of 'hard' stimulant from the actual one. The changes have zero bearing on the facts they're 3rd deg felonies, and the 3 types of morphine are all 3rd deg felonies *and* share the (shitty) quality of 3 felony hits for the same product in different formulations.
Given the area ya'll know I'm from, I'm sure the swaps from morphine to xxxxxxx and meth to xxxxxxxxx are pretty damn obvious, but even if not they're the exact same in the eyes of the law here (aside from some potentially minor taboo on the parts of judge/prosecutor, anyways - I'm unsure if they view crack or meth or crank a lil worse than the others, or morphine worse than demerol or oxy or fent.)

I don't mean to hijack at all but having the morphine pills and the meth are the same thing according to the courts? 3rd degree felonies? I would think having a clandestine made drug like meth would be way worse than a pharmaceutical drug like morphine in pill form, am I wrong in thinking this? If so that's fucked up.... meth is so much worse than morphine in so many ways...

Also another question is if this person were to have tracks and obvious signs of using the needle, would they be able to add more to his charges? Like would they be able to add "Drug used for injection, Xnumber felony". Or is the "fact" that the person shoots up not able to become an issue in court?

Sorry if hijack, plz delete if it's totally messing up the thread these are just questions I've actually wondered for awhile and would like to have answered if possible. If a MOD does delete it could they PM me letting me know if I could post this sort of question in LD as a post? Thanks

You can read about the laws here http://www.myfloridadefenselawyer.com/DrugPossessionFL.html . Each felony could potentially bring up to 5 years in prison. However, if all were personal use amounts, your friend isn't going to jail for 20 years. If I were to guess, your friend will either get less than a year in jail or be allowed to go through drug court. However, it all depends on the lawyer and the judge. Florida is notoriously bad when it comes to drug laws while Massachusetts has some of the best drug laws in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.