• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Overdosed on Soma, barely made it.

Material541

Bluelighter
A week and a half ago I overdosed on a bunch of Soma (carisoprodol). Spent 8 days in the hospital after I acquired pneumonia. I had been abusing it rather recklessly; I don't even know how much I took. I put everyone I love through so much, and I am totally embarrassed at how this all went down. This is not the first the I have overdosed. A couple of weeks ago my mom found me obliterated and babbling but I was able to get back up and fall asleep. I didn't respond this time.

I was unconscious and unable to breathe on my own for about 5 days. Then I woke up and slowly recovered until I was released.

Ever since I was released from the hospital, I haven't touched any drug. I think this is the wake up call I needed. I knew I couldn't go on abusing anymore, and I got slapped hard in the face. Just so glad I made it out alive with no lasting symptoms. Living the clean life has been easier than expected actually, and I am seeing a psychologist to iron out some problems. Thankfully I wasn't even nearly that deep in when this all went down.

This whole event has brought my whole family together, though. We all endured pain, and I think now we all realize how fragile life really is and how we should strengthen our bonds while we are still on this earth.

Touched me enough that I had to login, which I rarely ever do.

Glad you made it, and from the sound of it, be glad someone was there to find you unconscious.

I hope this experience keeps you on the right path. I had a terrible drug experienced where I had abstained from drugs in the weeks that followed, but as time went on I slipped right back into abuse. Stay the course!

I got to ask though, what was the dosage? Assuming you had a level of tolerance

Touched me enough that I had to login, which I rarely ever do.

Glad you made it, and from the sound of it, be glad someone was there to find you unconscious.

I hope this experience keeps you on the right path. I had a terrible drug experienced where I had abstained from drugs in the weeks that followed, but as time went on I slipped right back into abuse. Stay the course!

I got to ask though, what was the dosage? Assuming you had a level of tolerance

Thank you!

Yes, thankfully my parents found me about 3 hours after my first dose. I likely wasn't unconscious for long.

You are correct -- this is a critical period where I have to make the lasting decision in order to not use for good again. I want to address my reasons for using NOW before I get the strong urge to use again.

As for the dosage, I had a tolerance where I had upped my dose perhaps by 1.5x. Not doubled but more than normal.

I think I must have eaten at LEAST 10 350mg over the course of a couple of hours. That is around the point where I tend to stop and pass out. Somewhere between 10 and 30 is likely. Soma wipes my memory out clean, so I am ALWAYS looking to get higher and take more. I will never do it again. But I had a bottle filled with about 100 350mg which is empty now with my hospital belongings. No way I took that much, but I guess I'll never know.

Soma isn't controlled in the state I live and people tend to treat it like candy or like its some joke of a drug which its not. Soma just like miltown kills people and I've turned myself into a mess of a person taking too many of them. I was using them for only a month and had already worked myself up to 12 a day, and thats nothing to what I've seen people take before.
It feels good at first like any drug but at a certain point it will turn you into a drueling lazy slob of a person. I'm glad I never chose to refill that prescription because 120 of those things lasted me like 5 weeks. They are very addictive imo and I can't even imagine the things long term use could lead to. They sedated my brain and body so much I didn't care about anything, my decisions, behavoir, hygiene. I'm really glad you pulled through that and you really give me that much more reason to never consider taking this shit again. I use to like the way they mixed with opiates but I don't like sedatives a lot and they had me so fogged out on certain days I don't think I even knew who I was.

Good luck staying away from that shit its really a gross drug what it can do to people in a short time, and that doesn't even include all the od's and deaths from it. Definitely a drug to be used as seldom as possible and even then you need to be careful.

Material, I am so so glad to hear that you made it through okay <3
If there is one thing you can take from this awful experience I sincerely hope it is life-long sobriety. Life is too precious and too short to spend getting wasted to the point of coming within inches of taking your own life.

Best of luck with staying clean, I wish you and your family all the best :) <3

Thank you!

Yes, thankfully my parents found me about 3 hours after my first dose. I likely wasn't unconscious for long.

You are correct -- this is a critical period where I have to make the lasting decision in order to not use for good again. I want to address my reasons for using NOW before I get the strong urge to use again.

As for the dosage, I had a tolerance where I had upped my dose perhaps by 1.5x. Not doubled but more than normal.

I think I must have eaten at LEAST 10 350mg over the course of a couple of hours. That is around the point where I tend to stop and pass out. Somewhere between 10 and 30 is likely. Soma wipes my memory out clean, so I am ALWAYS looking to get higher and take more. I will never do it again. But I had a bottle filled with about 100 350mg which is empty now with my hospital belongings. No way I took that much, but I guess I'll never know.

Were you on a suicide mission or something? Why did you take that many, or were you seeing how far you could push the envelope?Ive been taking Soma for over a year & never took more than 2 in a day.

Im just trying to figure out why somone would take that many.....well im glad to hear that you are still with us because life is such a wonderful but fragile thing.

Good luck staying away from that shit its really a gross drug what it can do to people in a short time, and that doesn't even include all the od's and deaths from it. Definitely a drug to be used as seldom as possible and even then you need to be careful.

I think Soma is a great drug when used as prescribed or within reason. It has done wonders when mixed with Vicodin for my back pain. I think people get into trouble with it when they are strictly trying to get high off of it w/o having any pain.

I agree but when I speak on this board I tend to speak in the context of there being lots of addicts on here (just saying). I do definitely agree really any med when used properly can do wonders for its meant to do lol, just sucks that addicts like me have to ruin it for people genuinely suffering from pain. But on the other hand I also think pain (the nonphysical form) is what provokes a lot of us in the first place to abuse. Who knows, but yeh soma is very effect for what its suppose to do. I'm pretty sure its the best muscle relaxer that exists.

I agree but when I speak on this board I tend to speak in the context of there being lots of addicts on here (just saying). I do definitely agree really any med when used properly can do wonders for its meant to do lol, just sucks that addicts like me have to ruin it for people genuinely suffering from pain. But on the other hand I also think pain (the nonphysical form) is what provokes a lot of us in the first place to abuse. Who knows, but yeh soma is very effect for what its suppose to do. I'm pretty sure its the best muscle relaxer that exists.

You are definitely correct about the addiction status on someone trying to escape mental pain. It can get out of control pretty fast. It takes someone with alot of self control to self medicate themselves & do it somewhat successfully (meaning taking opiates for several years w/o going over board) although the addiction will occur no matter if you are prescribed or not after years of use.

I think Soma is a great drug when used as prescribed or within reason. It has done wonders when mixed with Vicodin for my back pain. I think people get into trouble with it when they are strictly trying to get high off of it w/o having any pain.

I got prescribed it when I hurt something in my back but it didn't do anything for the pain unlike the vicodin. It just made me feel like I had a couple beers without the alcohol feeling. Strange drug. Anyways, glad you made it Material, be careful!

Material, I am so so glad to hear that you made it through okay <3
If there is one thing you can take from this awful experience I sincerely hope it is life-long sobriety. Life is too precious and too short to spend getting wasted to the point of coming within inches of taking your own life.

Best of luck with staying clean, I wish you and your family all the best :) <3

Thank you!!! Your kind words mean so much to me <3

Soma isn't controlled in the state I live and people tend to treat it like candy or like its some joke of a drug which its not. Soma just like miltown kills people and I've turned myself into a mess of a person taking too many of them. I was using them for only a month and had already worked myself up to 12 a day, and thats nothing to what I've seen people take before.
It feels good at first like any drug but at a certain point it will turn you into a drueling lazy slob of a person. I'm glad I never chose to refill that prescription because 120 of those things lasted me like 5 weeks. They are very addictive imo and I can't even imagine the things long term use could lead to. They sedated my brain and body so much I didn't care about anything, my decisions, behavoir, hygiene. I'm really glad you pulled through that and you really give me that much more reason to never consider taking this shit again. I use to like the way they mixed with opiates but I don't like sedatives a lot and they had me so fogged out on certain days I don't think I even knew who I was.

Were you on a suicide mission or something? Why did you take that many, or were you seeing how far you could push the envelope?Ive been taking Soma for over a year & never took more than 2 in a day.

Im just trying to figure out why somone would take that many.....well im glad to hear that you are still with us because life is such a wonderful but fragile thing.

Yeah, there is just something terribly addicting about soma for me. I just couldn't stop for any reason. It spiraled out of control so quickly. I have not been addicted badly to anything serious (I am 22 years old) so thankfully this ~2 month long affair ended relatively quickly.

Material, are you getting any therapy at the moment? If not, it might be worth considering so that if/when cravings occur you will be better equipped to deal with them.
Just a thought :)

Material, are you getting any therapy at the moment? If not, it might be worth considering so that if/when cravings occur you will be better equipped to deal with them.
Just a thought :)

Kinda...I am scheduled to see a psychologist at my school sometime this week. But I have been thinking of what I will talk about and I am at a loss. I have seen psychologists in the past (before I started abusing drugs) and I certainly resolved many self-esteem issues and other things that have plagued me forever... but this time there is no concrete issue pushing me to abuse drugs.

So I hope seeing someone will help me dig at what I really want to constantly use drugs. Could it really be as simple as wanting to get rid of minor anxiety/depression that has been with me since childhood? Perhaps I should see a psychiatrist too?

Mainly, the cravings I get are because I want to get rid of this crippling anhedonia. I don't really care for anything. I had two exams this week that I just stopped studying for because I didn't care for them. My motivation has been completely sapped. I am not really depressed but I wanna sleep all day until this day, week, month, year is over. And then my sex drive has been reduced to nothing. At all. This does not bode well for my relationship with my girlfriend.

I have been trying to rationalize going back to opiates, thinking that I can use responsibly for a bit until I get my life together. But I know this is a bad idea.

Kinda...I am scheduled to see a psychologist at my school sometime this week. But I have been thinking of what I will talk about and I am at a loss.

So I hope seeing someone will help me dig at what I really want to constantly use drugs. Could it really be as simple as wanting to get rid of minor anxiety/depression that has been with me since childhood? Perhaps I should see a psychiatrist too?
Yeah I know what you mean man. Start with seeing the psychologist, that is a really good starting point. If you can't think of what to talk about when you sit down in their office, they will guide the conversation, so don't worry too much about that.
Yes it could be something as "simple" as the minor depression/anxiety you've always had, which isn't always even that simple, expecially when it's been something you've always had going on for pretty much your whole life. But it definitely can be worked through :)

I have been trying to rationalize going back to opiates, thinking that I can use responsibly for a bit until I get my life together.
No man, that is just the addiction talking. I do the same thing with drinking, I talk myself in to having a drink because my brain is subconsciously (or blatently consciously ;) :D) craving alcohol. I've used every excuse in the book to convince myself to have a drink when I've been craving. So lame.
You KNOW you can't use opiates responsibly without losing control of your usage, so please don't even entertain the thought. Be strong <3

Your story I see is from 2011. But it compelled me to sign in on here and write this. I just did the exact same thing! I had never taken Soma before and I ordered it off of the internet. (If you have bought prescription drugs off the internet before you know they're pretty crappy and really expensive.) Anyway, I had never used it before and I have a terrible congenital knee problem and didn't want to take pain pills. (I'm a recovering alcoholic of 5 yrs) Not exactly sure why I thought Soma was any better, but I took it and it did nothing as expected, so I took more. All in all I think I took close to 6-7 pills. Next thing I know I wake up in the hospital in INTENSIVE CARE hooked up to a breathing machine. I almost DIED! All in all, I had a breathing tube down me,(Which has been the worst! Almost a month later I still have a bad cough and I'm coughing up blood) they found me in my car passed out, knocked the window out, I was having seizures and was in intensive care for 4 days. I was moved to a regular room and stayed a total of almost 8 days.
By far, the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. (And I've been through some shit) I leave for rehab today and I couldn't be more grateful to be alive and have this opportunity. Drugs are a scary scary scary thing. I'm just glad I wasn't killed and I could maybe help someone else with my story.