• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nicotine gum

iewed

Bluelighter
I've never smoked cigs before but I recently tried nicotine gum and enjoyed the buzz.

I know nicotine gum is designed to help taper off cigarette smoking but is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't simply enjoy the nicotine buzz recreationally?

In a sense wouldn't it be like using methadone recreationally?

Yes. it's a maintenance therapy for nicotine addicts.

They are both meant to be healthier alternatives to the lifestyle of using the drug they are meant to get you off.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying "Yes" to.

Yes, there are reasons why I shouldn't use nicotine gum recreationally?

or

Yes, it would be similar to using methadone recreationally?

Both, I think it is pretty bad for the mouth, and after 4 or 5 gums the buzz will go away and eventually you will get cravings

Yes it is like using methadone recreationally in the sense they are both maitenance drugs

Just stop with the gum, its not worth it, buzzing slightly for a few minnutes 4 or 5 times isn't worth years of addiction, however miniscule the addiction is...

Do you have any information to back up your claims?

The buzz lasts 30-60 minutes for me, and I wouldn't chew it that frequently, probably only on the weekends if anything.

i don really think nicotine is harmful in itself is it? not at the small doses you get in gum. its just addictive.

Do you have any information to back up your claims?

The buzz lasts 30-60 minutes for me, and I wouldn't chew it that frequently, probably only on the weekends if anything.

No information is needed.

Nicotine along with the other natural tobacco extract found in these gums, is the same plants used to make cigarettes.

So, eventually it is the same as using opiates to get off opiates.

The only difference is in route of administration.

Nicotine is very addictive and habitual. It is going to fuck with you psychologically in between usages.

You are going to eventually start feeling low in between usages ans start rationalizing chewing another piece, and another, and another, etc...

Your brain will relate the flavor, chewing, and getting buzzed with each other.
This in turn is called a habit...

So there may be a point in time, where your brain will make you want nicotine every time you chew a minty piece of regular gum.

It's possible to use nicotine gum/patches, but lots of people find it unpleasant because nicotine isn't reinforcing on its own usually. The harmala alkaloids present in tobacco smoke add a MAOI component that greatyly increases the addictive potential.

Nicotine is harmful to the body, however, acting as a vasoconstrictor among other things. And of course, it's physically addictive. Be careful if you decide to use nicotine recreationally.

Natural sourced n. tabacum extracts will have nicotine-N-oxide and other wierd degradation products that can have other toxicological effects, too.

i don really think nicotine is harmful in itself is it? not at the small doses you get in gum. its just addictive.

Nicotine by itself has very little effect.

The stuf that makes the nicotine have an effect is the harmala alkaloids found in the same tobacco plant. They act as MAOIs.

Nicotine releases dopamine, norepinephrine, and endorphins into the blood stream. Our bodies break this overload down really fast. But the harmala alkaloids slow down this breakdown causing them to build up and give us a slightly euphoric stmulant effect.

This is why we get high blood pressure from nicotine. The heart disease and lung damage come from the trash and fumes of smoking.

Nicotine definitely does have an effect on its own. It's just not pleasurable or reinforcing in most people.

^This.

Nicotine is a drug just like anything else we discuss on here is a drug. It's just legal, regulated, and taxed (at least in most countries). The smoking aspect of nicotine delivery just adds to the reinforcing effect and is an effective delivery mechanism for nicotine to boot. That being said, it is completely expected for somebody to get an effect from nicotine gum (or a nicotine patch/transdermal delivery system). If you're not a smoker that means you don't have any tolerance to nicotine which means you're probably getting an even better "buzz" from the nicotine gum than somebody who was using it to taper from cigarettes would.

Be warned that you can get addicted to nicotine no matter what the route of administration is.

Although it isn't completely related, here's an interest read I found on PubMed while searching for "Nicotine Gum":

Treating heavy smokers in primary care with the nicotine nasal spray: randomized placebo-controlled trial. (PubMed ID: 21205043)

There is a lot of current research into nicotine replacement therapy, it is actually quite interesting.

Last edited:
If you like the gum, I don't think you're gonna run into any problems using it infrequently. I've used it to save money as well as to try and quit at various points in my smoking career. Since you don't get instant gratification like with a cigarette, coupled with the fact that it lacks the MAOIs and other psychoactive ingredients in tobacco, it's probably not nearly as addictive.

Just keep in mind that the potential is there, and treat it like any other drug you'd want to use responsibly, and you'll be good to go. Also, to the person saying it's bad for the mouth, do you have anything to back that up with? I was always under the impression that the smoke itself caused mouth cancers and the like in smokers.

If you like the gum, I don't think you're gonna run into any problems using it infrequently. I've used it to save money as well as to try and quit at various points in my smoking career. Since you don't get instant gratification like with a cigarette, coupled with the fact that it lacks the MAOIs and other psychoactive ingredients in tobacco, it's probably not nearly as addictive.

Just keep in mind that the potential is there, and treat it like any other drug you'd want to use responsibly, and you'll be good to go. Also, to the person saying it's bad for the mouth, do you have anything to back that up with? I was always under the impression that the smoke itself caused mouth cancers and the like in smokers.

Some gums have tobacco extract in them. This means that they do in fact have MAOIs.

Nicotine is cancerous. Tobacco is cancerous. Cigarettes are cancerous. cigars are cancerous.

They all cause cancer if they are derived from tobacco.