• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anxiety from Orange Juice

malakaix

Bluelighter
What a strange combination, but i'm beginning to notice a pattern.. whenever i have a glass of orange juice i become extremely on edge and anxious, the acknowledgment of this can sometimes send me into a panic attack. I did some research and it seems the sugar content in the juice can activate anxiety in an individual as much as a candy bar might. I had no idea there was a correlation between the two, much less that it would effect me, i was wondering how true this is?

I'm noticing that the more i become intimate with my body, the more sensitive im becoming to processed foods and minerals, what had no effect on others leaves me crippled and sick. The anxiety from the juice may be yet another indication of this.

Firstly, I am very surprised you had no idea about the correlation between sugar and anxiety, let alone the shocking amount of sugar in fruit juices. Fruit juices are not recommended to anybody wanting to lose weight, or children or people with dental issues or any insulin-sensitivity issues really because it has a high sugar content.

Secondly, you are sensitive to crap going in your body and have a good awareness of yourself. Take this as a blessing....you have achieved the self-awareness required to guide you in the right direction to leading a healthy life. This is a very good thing. Alot of people are able to just scoff down the crap with no real ill-effect and thus find it harder to quit it. Which would you rather be like?

I get the same effect from OJ, and any sugarry juice for that matter. I only drink water, herbal tea's and milk and I suggest you do too (though cut out the milk if you dont feel its ok for you - i drink it as I lift weights)

Are you anxious generally, in day to day life?

Secondly, you are sensitive to crap going in your body and have a good awareness of yourself. Take this as a blessing....you have achieved the self-awareness required to guide you in the right direction to leading a healthy life. This is a very good thing. Alot of people are able to just scoff down the crap with no real ill-effect and thus find it harder to quit it. Which would you rather be like?

QFT!

I'd always heard that drinking juice is much less healthy than simply eating the fruit.

PLUS, if you buy your juice at the grocery store, it's been pasteurized, which completely destroys all of the natural Vitamin C in the juice, among damaging other nutrients. The only reason the stuff is advertised as an "excellent source of Vitamin C" is because they dump synthetic Vit. C into the pasteurized product.

Yeah when you could eat it, you should never really drink fruit juice imo and I would never consider it a portion of your 5-a-day!

Just eat the fruit! The pith in the orange contains many of the health-giving nutrients which you won't get with juice, especially concentrated, pasteurised crap!

I remember the guys at my work always eating shit like bacon egg rolls, greasy fry-ups, kebabs....just shit basically. They could tolerate it though....once or twice I got a fried egg roll but I just felt fucking ill after it. This is definitely a good thing....displays a certain bearing affinity and connection with your mind and body that is essential to your health and a nutritious lifestyle.

Last edited:
This is interesting... especially: "I'm noticing that the more i become intimate with my body, the more sensitive im becoming to processed foods and minerals, what had no effect on others leaves me crippled and sick."

Since I gave up meat, started exercising religiously, and started to develop my spirituality, I've noticed that shitty foods really get to me too. I seem to have an extreme sensitivity to caffeine (one cup of coffee is enough to have me on the verge of an anxiety attack-- even though I'm not anxious at all anymore), I process drugs (psychedelics, especially) extremely fast, and sugary foods make me feel terrible.

Is it possible that this isn't a good thing? Maybe this sensitivity to shitty foods is less a 'yay! my body knows whats good for it!' and more a 'fuck! I gave up sugar and caffeine for a while, and now my body can't deal with it!'

Just ruminating here...

I think it's a great thing to be so in tune with your body to recognize the foods that make you feel like crap. I can't eat fast food, a lot of meat at once, sugar/candy, etc. without feeling the negatives, so I avoid them. I took a one week break from yerba mate (had been preparing my own traditionally for a year now) and I noticed the withdrawal symptoms, though they weren't too bad. When I brewed my first gourd after my break, I noticed, after not even drinking more than 3 gourds with a low amount of mate, the effects of the caffeine in full effect. My normal dose would have floored me. I actually got the jitters! I guess where I'm going with this is that if you eat right for a period of time, you will almost always notice bad side effects from eating unhealthy foods. The human body is wonderful at adaptation.

Firstly, I am very surprised you had no idea about the correlation between sugar and anxiety

Haha, yeah i honestly didn't.. as a child i never had issues with hyperactivity from sugar, and havn't up until now had any problems with sugar and anxiety, but this makes alot of sense.

Yeah i do see this as a very beneficial, prolonged feelings of ill-being from processed foods has forced me to entirely re-evaluate what i eat.. although when it comes to my personal diet i can be lazy, but as a result of this i fall back into feeling sick.. so in it's own way, it's strong motivation.

Are you anxious generally, in day to day life?

I would say yes, most of it is socially driven.. although i can slip into anxiety while on my own at home for what seems like no apparent reason at all.

Since I gave up meat, started exercising religiously, and started to develop my spirituality, I've noticed that shitty foods really get to me too. I seem to have an extreme sensitivity to caffeine (one cup of coffee is enough to have me on the verge of an anxiety attack-- even though I'm not anxious at all anymore), I process drugs (psychedelics, especially) extremely fast, and sugary foods make me feel terrible.

I'm exactly the same, i can't drink caffeine anymore... instead of becoming awake and focused i become completely 'wired' and then once it wears off i feel extremely scattered. Fast food will destroy me, and i'll usually feel sick until it pass's through my system..

None of this is a surprise to me, and i welcome it.. but until i sort out my diet i know it's going to be a struggle.

Yes, I am almost the same way. Except I guess you are kind of lucky because your food issues come right away and but mine might take a day or two before manifesting. So its harder to pinpoint actual foods that cause the most issues for me.

If I eat a balanced diet, like one suggested by US agriculture department pyramid, I feel like absolute shit. But the calories are easy for your body so its craves that crap. I have to eat meat, veggies, fruits, nuts...nothing processed unless its in the kitchen by me. And every high carb meal has to be covered up with fats and protein. If I follow my best personal eating pattern then I feel like God. IF I stray, I want to die.

The problems I get from a balanced diet are no energy, stomach pain, anxiety and depression, joint pain, leg pain, weakness when exercising and more.

Its crazy because it works like clock work. When I go back to eating crap I can expect to feel like crap in 2 days.

I guess this is a good thing, really... Most people are probably so used to eating shit (and feeling like shit) that they don't think twice about stopping at McD's for a double cheeseburger and fries w/ a Coke; they are probably so busy and consumed by work and stress that their body isn't used to feeling "good."

Finally, I think these things are cumulative: you clean up your diet, then you have the desire to exercise; once you start exercising, you feel better about yourself, and then begin to develop your spiritual side as a result of these feelings of well-being; once you've cleaned up your physical and mental--essentially helped yourself---you then have the ability to reach out and help others with these things as well. Once you've witnessed this cycle in action, it isn't hard to understand the concept of interconnectedness of all things.

This is interesting... especially: "I'm noticing that the more i become intimate with my body, the more sensitive im becoming to processed foods and minerals, what had no effect on others leaves me crippled and sick."

Is it possible that this isn't a good thing? Maybe this sensitivity to shitty foods is less a 'yay! my body knows whats good for it!' and more a 'fuck! I gave up sugar and caffeine for a while, and now my body can't deal with it!'

Just ruminating here...

i'm the same way now too. whenever i try and eat something unhealthy now i end up in the bathroom for hours or i just wanna die in my bed. i can't have caffeine now either. it kind of sucks actually. i just wanna be able to eat chocolate and drink coffee like normal people :(

^ Chocolate doesn't have caffeine but a similar compound--Have you tried dark chocolate (the kind without milk and added crap)?