View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom potency. Caps, stems, or dust

luckyslevin

Greenlighter
So i'm trying to find out whats the most potent part of a mushroom. To me it would make sense that its stored in the cap as thats more the "fruit" of the mushroom, and this article http://www.shroomery.org/8755/Do-caps-or-stems-contain-more-psilocybin-psilocin confirms my suspicion. However there are a few other websites that say it is a misconception that the caps are more potent than the stems.

But one thing I can't find out. is how potent is the dust? I got the last of my dudes bag and there's a fair amount of stems/caps in there, but also about a gram of mostly "dust" I'm note sure if the dust came from stems although thats what I'd suspect as it is white/lightly blueish, as all the stems are, the caps are white too, but a little more brown than anything else. Was thinking though, that maybe the dust could be "spores" from the cap. I dunno, I guess there is no real reasoning for suspecting the shake to be more potent, but thought i'd get your ideas on the subject.

its all roughly the same potency throughout the mushroom IIRC. although the ratio of psilocin/psilocybin is different i believe.

It's all the same. Some will have you believe caps are more potent, but I do not believe this to be the case. Shroom dust is just powdered shrooms, so it will be the same. I use shroom dust to make chocolates.

The potency of mushrooms vary tremendously, especially if grown from a multispore syringe. Within a grow the potency can very from mushroom to mushroom. The best way to normalize the potency of a certain grow is to take the composite of all mushrooms, grind them up extremely fine, and mix it all.

Mushrooms are more potent, by weight, if they are picked at a more immature stage. The best bang for your buck is to pick just as the veil is tearing open.

Just weigh out your dust and eat what you want. There is no way of telling the potency of your dust by looking at the color, etc.

i would prefer dust to be honest. you can make chocolates as mentioned or just mix into applesauce or put on a PB&J, and if youre like me you dont like the taste of raw shrooms. another plus is it will get absorbed a bit quicker than taking bites of mushroom.

Cool stuff, good to know. These particular shrooms are actually pretty mild tasting, I haven't minded at all. I'll prolly go with the grinding it all up method from now on though, makes sense to even out the potency, just wonder on the effects of potency if left for a long time? I know psilocybin last for hundreds of years in the right conditions, while psilocyn breaks down somewhat quickly. My mother is a biochemist and actually had to buy powdered mushrooms once for an experiment, so I'm guessing it should still last if kept properly and not obliterated or heated during grinding.

the only time I ever ate mushrooms it was 0.6 grams of shake. I didn't realy expect to trip but I got a little something out of it. Felt like I had taken half an average strength blotter tab of lsd.

as long as the ushrooms are dried completely they should keep for quite some time in a cool dark spot, preferably air tight.

obviously dust is going to appear more potent since it is much more dense than a dried fruiting body with all that air-space in the cell walls. No one part of the mushroom is more potent, though.

I would highly recommend just making mushroom tea no matter what kind of product you have - it is much easier on the stomach, absorbs faster and more completely, and can be tolerated by people that can't choke down the tiniest bit of mushrooms.

I would absolutely disagree - you can grab some passion flower which is a very mild MAOI, and as long as you don't have any mental illness and are not on AD's, you can brew it with the mushrooms in tea and the resulting synergy is much stronger than mushrooms alone.

back on topic...
just always measure by weight, not volume, and don't rely on your eyballs for weights.

Lol why are you talking about MAOIs now? Have you even tried the lemon tek?

like I said, it was off-topic.

I probably haven't tripped since the "lemon tek" came out, so no, I haven't tried it.

I used to use tea primarily because my stomach did not seem to handle the material well at all. I have recently been powerding my shrooms and capsulizing them. It's burpy at worst for me. This method allows me to keep the duration of the trip up which is shortened to a little over 2 hours for me when I use the tea. Never tried the lemon tek because I hate having to swallow even the dust of mushroom material! It's supposed to work really well so I've heard :)

The amount of psilocybin will vary ever so slightly throughout the mushroom however there is not one area it is concentrated in. More drug myths put to bed :)

And you also said..

I would absolutely disagree

Which I felt was referring to what I said. You just came off a bit abrasive, that's all.

Anyway, anyone who hasn't tried the lemon tek and enjoys mushrooms....you MUST. The effects begin in about 5-10 minutes and you hit the peak in less than 2 hours. I experience way less anxiety as there is basically no time for a come up. It feels like how mushrooms 'should be' experienced.

- Grind shrooms to powder
- Place powder in large shot glass
- Cover with lemon juice (fresh or from plastic bottle)
- Stir intermittently every like 5 mins for about a half hour
- Pound the shot! Also, combine with marijuana and a bong for a 'psychedelic strikeout' lol. You know like a strikeout where you do bong hit, take a shot, then blow out the smoke.

You can also mix it with apricot nectarine flavored FRS and the taste is actually pleasant. Plus the quercetin (main ingredient in FRS) is supposed to interact with the magical alkaloids to extend the peak of the trip.

the dust is comprised mainly of spores, the most potent part of the mushroom i believe followed by the stems and then the cap but who's counting. the dust is noticably more stronger (often capsuled and sold as psilocybin pills) the caps n stems almost equal.

I was just disagreeing about tea being obsolete.
It has worked great for me for over a decade.

I will indeed try the lemon tek next time I lay hand on these. Perhaps you could link to a thread that discusses it so our hijacking of the OP's thread will not have been completely pointless?