• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Do Benzodiazepines affect Pupil Size?

mine dilate, decreased SNS activity from GABA geric CNS effects?
I just know since starting benzo's, every asshole has their high beams on all the time haha

There is (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm mistaken) no evidence which suggests that benzos nor GABA are responsible for pupillary constriction.

In a consequential context, someone who uses/abuses moderate and/or [especially] large doses of a benzodiazepine daily will experience pupillary dilation upon abrupt cessation of use. This then may potentially lead to subsequent miosis, noticable to the user or a familiar outside observer, once regular use is resumed. This "rebound" miosis however, is more likely due to [subjective] perception, rather than the actual pharmacodynamics or effect(s) of the drug.

Benzos dilate my pupils and opiates constrict them. Then again i use benzos daily and opiates only when i'm in pain...

This thread has actually shaken my "pupil size" world.

I thought most sedatives including benzodiazepines and barbiturates and even some muscle relaxants all increased pupil size- caused mydriasis.

A quick wiki look :)p) has revealed only really the hallucinogens (dissociative/classic/fucked up) and drugs that increase serotonin in general cause mydriasis. I am baffled.

For the longest time, I thought nearly every substance under the sun, including marijuana, caused pupil dilation except for two notable exceptions: opioids / ethanol.

Apparently not.

I've had people tell I was on my Clonazepam before. They would always tell me my eyes looked incredibly glassy. My therapeutic dose is 2mg. Can't say I've ever seen dilated pupils, but like I've said I've had several people ask if I was on anything because my eyes looked extremely glassy. Oh well, just a small side-effect that I can live with when this drug has really helped me through my anxiety. The only thing I really don't like about Clonazepam is the drowsy-ness. I never felt this drowsy when I was prescribed 1mg xanax twice a day. Xanax would always make me feel uppity. Where as the klonopin can sack me out really quickly. Unfortunately, I get my klonopin prescribed through my suboxone doctor, and he is not adamant about prescribing xanax due to the higher addiction potential over clonazepam.

I'm hoping I can convince my doc into trying me back on xanax. I'm one of his best patients. I've never went over on my meds. I've never called saying I ran out early. I know he trusts me. So with that said, I'm hoping he'll give me a chance to get back on xanax. Right now, I am prescribed 1mg clonazepam twice a day. so I was thinking of asking for .5mg of xanax twice a day and comparing the differences. I have never diverted on my meds either. Will be trying for my next visit anyway.

Last edited:
In my experience with alprazolam, I've never noticed dilated pupils per se, but your eyes tend to reflect just how fucked up you are anyway. Xanax has often given me the glassy eyes effect, that I will attest to.