• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Do Benzodiazepines affect Pupil Size?

Supeudol

Bluelighter
Does anyone know if some benzo's dilate your pupils? I know that Lorazepam doses.
What about Diazepam & Xanax?

Or I guess it could may be the marijuana I smoked earlier. ;)

Thanks BLers.

I can't remember tbhwy but i dont think they do,otherwise people would have comented by now.

I don't think benzos affect yr pupils I take them prescribed every day I haven't been asked what I've taken or anything

Speaking from experience I can tell you that they really constrict my pupil size, enough that it's noticeable to other people...

^ do they make them constrict as much as opiates do?

i just ask because i take was on benzos and opiates for 7 years and only ever noticed constriction with opiates.. benzos (clonazepam and phenazepam) had no effect on my pupil size.

I'm sorry but I can't really compare cus I don't have much experience with opiates.

However, they do get really tiny, pinpricks really.

Once, after taking loads of diazepam, this guy I know was like ' omg ur pupils are tiny!!! that'll be the diazepam' (so I guess he must have noticed this effect before). I looked in the mirror and sure enough, they were miniscule!!

ok.. yeah opiates give pinpoint pupils also.
This is the first i've heard of it happening from benzos, but i need to keep in mind that everyone is different and reacts different to different drugs.

Never noticed any constriction of the pupil. They do dilate though. Not much but enough to be able to notice it in the mirror.

I have noticed this on mainly Diazepam.

My pupils seem to react slower when I'm on benzos (duh, everything is slower), but no real constriction.

I can't remember tbhwy but i dont think they do,otherwise people would have comented by now.
I love this logic! It's like my new mod gut feeling. "Well I haven't seen it mentioned on BL so..." :D

In the interest of accuracy though I looked it up in some scholarly journals. From what I can see one would expect the administration of benzos to cause miosis (constricted pupils) but in fact there is little to no effect (albeit most abstracts I skimmed refer to just diazepam). I know the iris has a sphincter muscle which constricts the pupil and is the cause of opioid pinpoint pupils, but interestingly there is also an iris dilator muscle which constricts to cause dilation so it is a nice complex system (never mind the actual effects on the somatic nervous system).

Does anyone know if some benzo's dilate your pupils? I know that Lorazepam doses.
What about Diazepam & Xanax?

Or I guess it could may be the marijuana I smoked earlier. ;)

Thanks BLers.

From personal experience, and taking lorazepam daily as it is prescribed for me, there is certainly no dilation from it.

In the interest of accuracy though I looked it up in some scholarly journals. From what I can see one would expect the administration of benzos to cause miosis (constricted pupils) but in fact there is little to no effect (albeit most abstracts I skimmed refer to just diazepam). I know the iris has a sphincter muscle which constricts the pupil and is the cause of opioid pinpoint pupils, but interestingly there is also an iris dilator muscle which constricts to cause dilation so it is a nice complex system (never mind the actual effects on the somatic nervous system).

This sounds pretty interesting, actually, I <3 your scholarly answers amapola :)

My only response is, from personal experience, the only time I noticed pupil constriction was if I was mixing the benzos with opiates, and benzos alone at their therapeutic (not excessive or abusive) dose don't seem to cause any noticeable physical changes.

Last edited:
no dialation or constriction....but be warned! you're eyes will look glazed like a motherfucking donut . when im on benzos, people tell me i look lifeless when they look into my eyes...yah and my eyelids get droopy as fuck! nothing i can do about it...i just tell people im tired or some shit hahaha

I quit using benzodiazepines about a year ago... so I wouldn't really be able to tell now / remember... but for the many years I took them both prescribed and explicitly, I never noticed any kind of change in my pupils. There's a possibility that they were dilated or constricted and I just never noticed... but I seriously doubt this because with daily use I'm sure I would have noticed at least one time.

my friend has a gigantic benzo tolerance, and his pupils are constantly fucking HUGE, he also spends alot of time in slight withdrawal due to abusing his pills. I dont know if this is caused by benzo use or some other factor.

Mine get bigger. But I do experience paradoxical effects from drugs like ativan, so perhaps that's why. They make me trip out.

^ ativan (lorazepam) is a benzo that can make you trip in highish doses (i don't know of any others that do this) Just figured i would give you that little bit of info, but im only a greenlighter so take my advice with a grain of salt ;)