Bluelight

Thread: Do Benzodiazepines affect Pupil Size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Do Benzodiazepines affect Pupil Size? 
    Capsule
    Does anyone know if some benzo's dilate your pupils? I know that Lorazepam doses.
    What about Diazepam & Xanax?

Or I guess it could may be the marijuana I smoked earlier.

Thanks BLers.

2. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    I can't remember tbhwy but i dont think they do,otherwise people would have comented by now.

3. Collapse Details

I don't think benzos affect yr pupils I take them prescribed every day I haven't been asked what I've taken or anything

4. Collapse Details

Not as far as I can tell.

5. Collapse Details

They seem to dilate my a slight bit normally. Only enough that you would notice.

6. Collapse Details

Speaking from experience I can tell you that they really constrict my pupil size, enough that it's noticeable to other people...

7. Collapse Details

In Your Nightmares. Taking Your Bull By The Horns
    ^ do they make them constrict as much as opiates do?

i just ask because i take was on benzos and opiates for 7 years and only ever noticed constriction with opiates.. benzos (clonazepam and phenazepam) had no effect on my pupil size.

8. Collapse Details

I'm sorry but I can't really compare cus I don't have much experience with opiates.

However, they do get really tiny, pinpricks really.

Once, after taking loads of diazepam, this guy I know was like ' omg ur pupils are tiny!!! that'll be the diazepam' (so I guess he must have noticed this effect before). I looked in the mirror and sure enough, they were miniscule!!

9. Collapse Details

In Your Nightmares. Taking Your Bull By The Horns
    ok.. yeah opiates give pinpoint pupils also.
    This is the first i've heard of it happening from benzos, but i need to keep in mind that everyone is different and reacts different to different drugs.

10. Collapse Details

Never noticed any constriction of the pupil. They do dilate though. Not much but enough to be able to notice it in the mirror.

I have noticed this on mainly Diazepam.

11. Collapse Details

My pupils seem to react slower when I'm on benzos (duh, everything is slower), but no real constriction.

12. Collapse Details

I can't remember tbhwy but i dont think they do,otherwise people would have comented by now.
    I love this logic! It's like my new mod gut feeling. "Well I haven't seen it mentioned on BL so..."

In the interest of accuracy though I looked it up in some scholarly journals. From what I can see one would expect the administration of benzos to cause miosis (constricted pupils) but in fact there is little to no effect (albeit most abstracts I skimmed refer to just diazepam). I know the iris has a sphincter muscle which constricts the pupil and is the cause of opioid pinpoint pupils, but interestingly there is also an iris dilator muscle which constricts to cause dilation so it is a nice complex system (never mind the actual effects on the somatic nervous system).

13. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    it doesn't affect pupil size

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Supeudol View Post
    Does anyone know if some benzo's dilate your pupils? I know that Lorazepam doses.
    What about Diazepam & Xanax?

Or I guess it could may be the marijuana I smoked earlier.

Thanks BLers.
    From personal experience, and taking lorazepam daily as it is prescribed for me, there is certainly no dilation from it.

Quote Originally Posted by amapola View Post

In the interest of accuracy though I looked it up in some scholarly journals. From what I can see one would expect the administration of benzos to cause miosis (constricted pupils) but in fact there is little to no effect (albeit most abstracts I skimmed refer to just diazepam). I know the iris has a sphincter muscle which constricts the pupil and is the cause of opioid pinpoint pupils, but interestingly there is also an iris dilator muscle which constricts to cause dilation so it is a nice complex system (never mind the actual effects on the somatic nervous system).
    This sounds pretty interesting, actually, I your scholarly answers amapola

My only response is, from personal experience, the only time I noticed pupil constriction was if I was mixing the benzos with opiates, and benzos alone at their therapeutic (not excessive or abusive) dose don't seem to cause any noticeable physical changes.
    Last edited by purple_cloud; 23-05-2011 at 21:28.

15. Collapse Details

Benzos, and weed for that matter DEFIANTLY constrict MY pupils.

16. Collapse Details

no dialation or constriction....but be warned! you're eyes will look glazed like a motherfucking donut . when im on benzos, people tell me i look lifeless when they look into my eyes...yah and my eyelids get droopy as fuck! nothing i can do about it...i just tell people im tired or some shit hahaha

17. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I quit using benzodiazepines about a year ago... so I wouldn't really be able to tell now / remember... but for the many years I took them both prescribed and explicitly, I never noticed any kind of change in my pupils. There's a possibility that they were dilated or constricted and I just never noticed... but I seriously doubt this because with daily use I'm sure I would have noticed at least one time.

18. Collapse Details

i got a drug problem: i need twice the amount to get fucked off them.
    my friend has a gigantic benzo tolerance, and his pupils are constantly fucking HUGE, he also spends alot of time in slight withdrawal due to abusing his pills. I dont know if this is caused by benzo use or some other factor.

19. Collapse Details

Mine get bigger. But I do experience paradoxical effects from drugs like ativan, so perhaps that's why. They make me trip out.

20. Collapse Details

^ ativan (lorazepam) is a benzo that can make you trip in highish doses (i don't know of any others that do this) Just figured i would give you that little bit of info, but im only a greenlighter so take my advice with a grain of salt

21. Collapse Details

mine dilate, decreased SNS activity from GABA geric CNS effects?
    I just know since starting benzo's, every asshole has their high beams on all the time haha

22. Collapse Details

There is (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm mistaken) no evidence which suggests that benzos nor GABA are responsible for pupillary constriction.

In a consequential context, someone who uses/abuses moderate and/or [especially] large doses of a benzodiazepine daily will experience pupillary dilation upon abrupt cessation of use. This then may potentially lead to subsequent miosis, noticable to the user or a familiar outside observer, once regular use is resumed. This "rebound" miosis however, is more likely due to [subjective] perception, rather than the actual pharmacodynamics or effect(s) of the drug.

23. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Benzos dilate my pupils and opiates constrict them. Then again i use benzos daily and opiates only when i'm in pain...

24. Collapse Details

This thread has actually shaken my "pupil size" world.

I thought most sedatives including benzodiazepines and barbiturates and even some muscle relaxants all increased pupil size- caused mydriasis.

A quick wiki look () has revealed only really the hallucinogens (dissociative/classic/fucked up) and drugs that increase serotonin in general cause mydriasis. I am baffled.

For the longest time, I thought nearly every substance under the sun, including marijuana, caused pupil dilation except for two notable exceptions: opioids / ethanol.

Apparently not.

25. Collapse Details

I've had people tell I was on my Clonazepam before. They would always tell me my eyes looked incredibly glassy. My therapeutic dose is 2mg. Can't say I've ever seen dilated pupils, but like I've said I've had several people ask if I was on anything because my eyes looked extremely glassy. Oh well, just a small side-effect that I can live with when this drug has really helped me through my anxiety. The only thing I really don't like about Clonazepam is the drowsy-ness. I never felt this drowsy when I was prescribed 1mg xanax twice a day. Xanax would always make me feel uppity. Where as the klonopin can sack me out really quickly. Unfortunately, I get my klonopin prescribed through my suboxone doctor, and he is not adamant about prescribing xanax due to the higher addiction potential over clonazepam.

I'm hoping I can convince my doc into trying me back on xanax. I'm one of his best patients. I've never went over on my meds. I've never called saying I ran out early. I know he trusts me. So with that said, I'm hoping he'll give me a chance to get back on xanax. Right now, I am prescribed 1mg clonazepam twice a day. so I was thinking of asking for .5mg of xanax twice a day and comparing the differences. I have never diverted on my meds either. Will be trying for my next visit anyway.
    Last edited by moonshield06; 28-05-2011 at 20:46.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast