• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kava kava interactions

OhSeeAT

Bluelighter
I bought a 10 capsule travel pack of KAVA KAVA capsules from a local feel rite that I bought to help interact with my klonopin. Now I'm pretty sure the dose of the KAVA KAVA is pretty low but I already tossed the box to get mg, but I'm almost positive it's a quite low dose. I should be able to take like 4 or 5 of these capsules to mix with my klonopin and suboxone right? NOTE: I have a very high tolerance to klonopin and suboxone. I took one KAVA KAVA capsule with 300 mg's of GABA supplement with 8mg's of klonpin and 12 mg's of suboxone and didnt feel euphoric or more sedated, but got a little nausious.. Anyone know how to reach peak sedative points? This is why I put it under Advanced Drug Discussion because I'm discussing the mix of KAVA KAVA, GABA supplemnt, klonopin and Suboxone, and so far I'm yet to get the sedative point I'm looking for. Please help. My intuition tells me I should be able to take 5 or 6 KAVA capsules with the klonpin and it be okay... Anyone who knows a lot about these combos would be such a huge help, and anyone else who has experience please help <3
-Opey Khan

The kavalactone kavain in kava is a voltage-gated sodium channel inhibitor, which is to say a local anaesthetic. It therefore shares the cardiac risks of other local anesthetics such as dimethocaine and cocaine. Kavain is also a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Another major kavalactone, desmethoxyyangonin, is a selective monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor. This action is actually neuroprotective in the case of MDMA usage, and pure desmethoxyyangonin might be useful in that regard, though the presence of kavain in raw kava extracts means that a combination of kava and MDMA will lead to undue stress on the heart and is therefore inadvisable.

Anyone who's ever tasted the stuff (including me) can probably testify that it numbs the mouth -- that's local anaesthesia.

Consumption of kava kava prior to heavy exercise has caused rhabdomyolysis in the past:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=3180

It is therefore highly inadvisable to consume kava prior to strenuous exercise of any sort.

Kavalactones also act as blockers of other voltage-gated ion channels including Ca2+ and K+ channels, IIRC.

Rhabdomyolysis is caused by heavy exercising in general. Also, if he drank the kava prior, this means he simply over stressed his muscles due to him being numb. The Kava had nothing to do with the actual rhabdomyolysis...

The kavalactone kavain in kava is a voltage-gated sodium channel inhibitor, which is to say a local anaesthetic. It therefore shares the cardiac risks of other local anesthetics such as dimethocaine and cocaine. Kavain is also a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Another major kavalactone, desmethoxyyangonin, is a selective monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor. This action is actually neuroprotective in the case of MDMA usage, and pure desmethoxyyangonin might be useful in that regard, though the presence of kavain in raw kava extracts means that a combination of kava and MDMA will lead to undue stress on the heart and is therefore inadvisable.

Anyone who's ever tasted the stuff (including me) can probably testify that it numbs the mouth -- that's local anaesthesia.

Consumption of kava kava prior to heavy exercise has caused rhabdomyolysis in the past:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=3180

It is therefore highly inadvisable to consume kava prior to strenuous exercise of any sort.

Kavalactones also act as blockers of other voltage-gated ion channels including Ca2+ and K+ channels, IIRC.

Is this to say that it could or would potentiate the effects of lamotrigine and/or pregabalin/gabapentin?

I have personally noticed weird chest sensations while taking large doses of Kava extract (30% kavalactones). It usually only happens after taking it for a few days in a row. I never figured it's function as a anesthetic could be cardiotoxic but it makes sense, especially for long-term use.

Makes me wonder about ketamine considering it also has similar effects on votalge gating.

I have personally noticed weird chest sensations while taking large doses of Kava extract (30% kavalactones). It usually only happens after taking it for a few days in a row. I never figured it's function as a anesthetic could be cardiotoxic but it makes sense, especially for long-term use.

Makes me wonder about ketamine considering it also has similar effects on votalge gating.

How much do you take?

In order for you to have any negative effects like this, you needed to have grossly overdosed, or you are just sensitive to kava.

How so? If pregabalin/gabapentin and lamotrigine act as calcium and sodium channel blockers, respectively?

Do you think kava is stronger?

If you were to get a concentrated form of Kava root extract (around 84%) I think those two you mentioned are the ones doing the boosting.

Pregabalin would boost the GABA-A effects of Kava too.

OH! Okay! I see what you're saying now. Damn, I was tired last night. I don't know whether kava is stronger or not. I've never taken the "good shit" as far as kava is concerned.

The fresher your kava is the more potent it is. 84% is like the highest you can get in concentration of kavalactones. I make tinctures all the time in vodka. I get euphoric power in about a shot worth.

Damn, I gotta check that shit out. For reals.

Is it possible that high-potency kava could dangerously potentiate a nightly dose of 10mg zolpidem? I mean, I'm sober now, and was a hardcore junkie...but I'm asking just in general.

Last edited:
Damn, I gotta check that shit out. For reals.

Is it possible that high-potency kava could dangerously potentiate a nightly dose of 10mg zolpidem? I mean, I'm sober now, and was a hardcore junkie...but I'm asking just in general.

No, in fact it will have very little effect on respiration. It's more of the typical droopiness with a very very good sense of well being. I wish you could plug kava.

Is this to say that it could or would potentiate the effects of lamotrigine and/or pregabalin/gabapentin?

Maybe. Safety-wise, no idea. Ion channel blockers are, to my knowledge, relatively unstudied compounds.

Maybe. Safety-wise, no idea. Ion channel blockers are, to my knowledge, relatively unstudied compounds.

Wouldn't the other effects of kava play into this? More of the lines of lyrica.
Could you get more sedation out of kava with lyrica? Like if you would with benzos?

^ i would certainly think so. I drink sippin' syrup every night, and i swear it potentiates the lyrica/neurontin and ambien