Bluelight

Thread: Kava kava interactions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Kava kava interactions 
    Bluelighter
    I bought a 10 capsule travel pack of KAVA KAVA capsules from a local feel rite that I bought to help interact with my klonopin. Now I'm pretty sure the dose of the KAVA KAVA is pretty low but I already tossed the box to get mg, but I'm almost positive it's a quite low dose. I should be able to take like 4 or 5 of these capsules to mix with my klonopin and suboxone right? NOTE: I have a very high tolerance to klonopin and suboxone. I took one KAVA KAVA capsule with 300 mg's of GABA supplement with 8mg's of klonpin and 12 mg's of suboxone and didnt feel euphoric or more sedated, but got a little nausious.. Anyone know how to reach peak sedative points? This is why I put it under Advanced Drug Discussion because I'm discussing the mix of KAVA KAVA, GABA supplemnt, klonopin and Suboxone, and so far I'm yet to get the sedative point I'm looking for. Please help. My intuition tells me I should be able to take 5 or 6 KAVA capsules with the klonpin and it be okay... Anyone who knows a lot about these combos would be such a huge help, and anyone else who has experience please help
    -Opey Khan

2. Collapse Details

It should b fine and enhance the effect sum.

3. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
    The kavalactone kavain in kava is a voltage-gated sodium channel inhibitor, which is to say a local anaesthetic. It therefore shares the cardiac risks of other local anesthetics such as dimethocaine and cocaine. Kavain is also a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Another major kavalactone, desmethoxyyangonin, is a selective monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor. This action is actually neuroprotective in the case of MDMA usage, and pure desmethoxyyangonin might be useful in that regard, though the presence of kavain in raw kava extracts means that a combination of kava and MDMA will lead to undue stress on the heart and is therefore inadvisable.

Anyone who's ever tasted the stuff (including me) can probably testify that it numbs the mouth -- that's local anaesthesia.

Consumption of kava kava prior to heavy exercise has caused rhabdomyolysis in the past:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/s...ex.cfm?id=3180

It is therefore highly inadvisable to consume kava prior to strenuous exercise of any sort.

Kavalactones also act as blockers of other voltage-gated ion channels including Ca2+ and K+ channels, IIRC.

4. Collapse Details

Rhabdomyolysis is caused by heavy exercising in general. Also, if he drank the kava prior, this means he simply over stressed his muscles due to him being numb. The Kava had nothing to do with the actual rhabdomyolysis...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by atara View Post
    The kavalactone kavain in kava is a voltage-gated sodium channel inhibitor, which is to say a local anaesthetic. It therefore shares the cardiac risks of other local anesthetics such as dimethocaine and cocaine. Kavain is also a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Another major kavalactone, desmethoxyyangonin, is a selective monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor. This action is actually neuroprotective in the case of MDMA usage, and pure desmethoxyyangonin might be useful in that regard, though the presence of kavain in raw kava extracts means that a combination of kava and MDMA will lead to undue stress on the heart and is therefore inadvisable.

Anyone who's ever tasted the stuff (including me) can probably testify that it numbs the mouth -- that's local anaesthesia.

Consumption of kava kava prior to heavy exercise has caused rhabdomyolysis in the past:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/s...ex.cfm?id=3180

It is therefore highly inadvisable to consume kava prior to strenuous exercise of any sort.

Kavalactones also act as blockers of other voltage-gated ion channels including Ca2+ and K+ channels, IIRC.
    Is this to say that it could or would potentiate the effects of lamotrigine and/or pregabalin/gabapentin?

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I have personally noticed weird chest sensations while taking large doses of Kava extract (30% kavalactones). It usually only happens after taking it for a few days in a row. I never figured it's function as a anesthetic could be cardiotoxic but it makes sense, especially for long-term use.

Makes me wonder about ketamine considering it also has similar effects on votalge gating.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwighlight View Post
    Is this to say that it could or would potentiate the effects of lamotrigine and/or pregabalin/gabapentin?
    Other way around bro.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MyExcuse View Post
    I have personally noticed weird chest sensations while taking large doses of Kava extract (30% kavalactones). It usually only happens after taking it for a few days in a row. I never figured it's function as a anesthetic could be cardiotoxic but it makes sense, especially for long-term use.

Makes me wonder about ketamine considering it also has similar effects on votalge gating.
    How much do you take?

In order for you to have any negative effects like this, you needed to have grossly overdosed, or you are just sensitive to kava.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psychedelic Jay View Post
    Other way around bro.
    How so? If pregabalin/gabapentin and lamotrigine act as calcium and sodium channel blockers, respectively?

10. Collapse Details

How so? If pregabalin/gabapentin and lamotrigine act as calcium and sodium channel blockers, respectively?
    Do you think kava is stronger?

If you were to get a concentrated form of Kava root extract (around 84 I think those two you mentioned are the ones doing the boosting.

Pregabalin would boost the GABA-A effects of Kava too.

11. Collapse Details

OH! Okay! I see what you're saying now. Damn, I was tired last night. I don't know whether kava is stronger or not. I've never taken the "good shit" as far as kava is concerned.

12. Collapse Details

The fresher your kava is the more potent it is. 84% is like the highest you can get in concentration of kavalactones. I make tinctures all the time in vodka. I get euphoric power in about a shot worth.

13. Collapse Details

Damn, I gotta check that shit out. For reals.

Is it possible that high-potency kava could dangerously potentiate a nightly dose of 10mg zolpidem? I mean, I'm sober now, and was a hardcore junkie...but I'm asking just in general.
    Last edited by TheTwighlight; 15-05-2011 at 07:40.

14. Collapse Details

Damn, I gotta check that shit out. For reals.

Is it possible that high-potency kava could dangerously potentiate a nightly dose of 10mg zolpidem? I mean, I'm sober now, and was a hardcore junkie...but I'm asking just in general.
    No, in fact it will have very little effect on respiration. It's more of the typical droopiness with a very very good sense of well being. I wish you could plug kava.

15. Collapse Details

Cool. That's kinda what I thought, but I try to be as safe as possible these days.

16. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
    Maybe. Safety-wise, no idea. Ion channel blockers are, to my knowledge, relatively unstudied compounds.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by atara View Post
    Maybe. Safety-wise, no idea. Ion channel blockers are, to my knowledge, relatively unstudied compounds.
    Wouldn't the other effects of kava play into this? More of the lines of lyrica.
    Could you get more sedation out of kava with lyrica? Like if you would with benzos?

18. Collapse Details

^ i would certainly think so. I drink sippin' syrup every night, and i swear it potentiates the lyrica/neurontin and ambien

19. Collapse Details

^ i would certainly think so. I drink sippin' syrup every night, and i swear it potentiates the lyrica/neurontin and ambien
    It's the other way around.

20. Collapse Details

Oh ya.

21. Collapse Details

I'm just pullin' your leg.

22. Collapse Details

Well, I went to a health food store, and they had kava kava 250mg capsules that said they had minimum 30% kavalactones in them. So that would be 75mg per capsule. What kind of dose is that? Is it worth a fuck? What dose of straight kavalactones would I need for some sort of effect?

23. Collapse Details

Well, I went to a health food store, and they had kava kava 250mg capsules that said they had minimum 30% kavalactones in them. So that would be 75mg per capsule. What kind of dose is that? Is it worth a fuck? What dose of straight kavalactones would I need for some sort of effect?
    You are gonna need a lot...

24. Collapse Details

this now should move to bdd for further discussion

25. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psychedelic Jay View Post
    You are gonna need a lot...
    Do you happen to know what a reasonable dose for relaxtion would be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast