Cops searched my dealer's house

jelyse69

Greenlighter
I just walked into my coke dealer's house. I sent him a text half and hour ago saying I would swing by, a full-fledged text conversation regarding getting a gram preceding. I went ahead and knocked, and then let myself in. "Hello, do you have my stuff?" I asked. I hear a voice from the living room. "Come in here please". When I turn the corner, there are two cops. They're searching the house. My heart starts THUMPING.
"What's going on?" I ask innocently as possible, although I well know what the hell was happening. I give my best deer-in-headlights look. "We're doing a search" (obviously, bitch). I sit down to my dealer and pretend to be confused why there are cops. His roommates were all gathered in the living room, already caught with a bong and other paraphernalia. "I'm just here to pick up.. my coat" I improvised. "May we have some ID?" one of the cops asks me. I hand it over and they jot down a whole bunch of shit. "What does your coat look like?" a muffled voice from inside my dealer's room. This is where my dealer steps in to answer the question I couldn't. "It's a zip up". The cop handed me some hideous jacket, and I ask if I'm free to leave. They let me go, instructing me to go out the front door. I left the room, the feeling of impending doom in there was like nothing I've ever felt.

Now it's been over an hour since I left. I haven't heard from my dealer. The questions arise: Was there something I could of done to help them? If they look through his phone, will I be in trouble? I'm very rattled by it. I feel sad and 'I told you so', but I can't say I told you so as long as I'm being the devil's advocate...... :(

Last edited:
Where are you located?

Some places Cops do not have the authority to just open up your phone and start going through it, unless they get some kind of court order from a Justice.

If they do end up going through his phone, I think it would be to gather evidence about HIM, not about his customers.

If you were going to be in trouble, it probably would have been from stepping inside the house. Since they let you go I would believe that's the end of it, for you at least.

I wouldn't try to contact the alleged drug dealer for a good while, wait til he contacts you

Oh, and don't go into the evil "what could I have done to prevent this" or "if only i had did that" thinking; what's done is done and over with. If you ARE questioned, stick with the truth: you stopped by to get your jacket which was in his possesion. You did not attempt to buy or sell anything illegal; you did nothing illegal as far as they're concerned.

I really wouldn't stress it. It takes a lot of time and paperwork to court-order that text messages are retrieved. I doubt they would pursue small customers when they hit their higher-up dealer.

Thanks. Yeah no word from him still. He is on probation so I'm pretty sure he's fucked up the ass.. I'm just mad I'm in the system now /:

Call all your friends that cop from him and say he just got busted, and to lay off calling him and shit. Stay away for a good while spread the word, it will help people not get caught up in a sting

There was nothing you could have done to help at that point. You did him a bit of a favor by making up the coat thing though. As far as the text messages, there is a good chance they won't go after them unless they don't have much evidence. When I got busted, they never went through my phone and my thing was pretty serious.

Short answers:
There's nothing you could have done to help.
If they look through his phone, you may be in trouble.

Not sure about your laws but ive walked in on 2 different busts on the same person who was the biggest gear dealer in my city at the time , they had been watching them for over a year so i know for a fact that they knew about me being there all the time while dealing went on yet both times that i walked in on the busts i was let go after them searching me and taking my name address etc , i never heard a thing afterwards and the rest of them done their time they were given in court but i wasnt even called to be a witness or anything and that was me being in their house every single day almost and had made calls to them numerous times to discuss scoring etc

So if you was let go like that im sure you will hear nothing more of it and have nothing to worry about , as for your friends thats a different matter but there is nothing you could of done, they knew the risks they were taking when they started to deal and thats not your fault .

why do you say this? is it illegal to be in somebody's address book?

alasdair

No.

The original poster said that she had a text conversation about purchasing cocaine. If the cops search (legally) a coke dealer's phone, and find a text conversation about purchasing drugs AND the person shows up at the residence...that's a pretty good conspiracy case.

he will in no way be in any trouble if they look your dealers phone. Not even if they find the most incriminating text messages of you guys planning pickups and what not.

They took your information down just in case they would need it for the investigation.. This would help them out when they were real low on physical evidence and would need a witness testimony or 2 to seal the deal..

Unless you were caught in possession of a controlled substance by a police officer, some sort of drug paraphenllia (misdeameanor), or you were caught getting intoxicated you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Even if they watched you enter and leave that house everyday without any physical evidence they have no case.. IF they had you under surveillance that would be enough probable cause to search you.. but with no physical evidence they would not proceed to arrest you.

you are in no way... "in the system" .. and if you were caught with possession of a controlled substance.. depending on your state.. and what your criminal background is you would most likely be offered diversion (drug counceling) where at the end of your treatment program the court would throw out the case and you will not be convicted of anything.. In California.. this is known as DEJ pc 1000 or prop 36... I dont know what state your in, but you can google the local drug laws.

Im in no way a lawyer.. but I am speaking from experience.. Ive been caught with heroin possession before and after my treatment program the case was thrown out.. it did not show up on an employer background check either.

..and stop being so nervous and scared.. your going out and buying coke all the time. This is the lifestyle and worries that come along with being a recreational drug user.. If you cant handle the heat.. get out and stop using.

Good luck.

I guess every state is different.

If I encountered someone like A4Anxiety describes with the text messages and didn't arrest, I would have to have a very good explanation for my supervisor. This is a common scenario. We arrest for conspiracy, and get convictions all the time.

I wholeheartedly agree with A4 about getting out if you can’t handle the heat. The drug lifestyle is not without risk.

I was sober, had no drugs on me, so I'm in the clear. I still can't believe I walked in on a bust. I miss my dealer ):

but I've stopped using coke since.. There's a silver lining to everything I suppose.

If the cops were suspicious of you, then you would have been patted down and searched. But since you were just a pawn among bishops, then they really have no reason to go after you.
Cops prefer to go higher up in the chain, not lower. Their ultimate strategy is to find the queen and then checkmate the king.

its not like you asked for quantity of any drug.. you asked to make a simple purchase.. your ealer got popped. theres nothing you could have done to prevent it. dont stress.