• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos lorazepam - worried about dependence/withdrawal

waketheeffup

Bluelighter
I have an Rx for .5mg lorazepam 3x a day. I do feel as if i have mild anxiety, but im starting to worry about benzo withdrawal syndrome.

I was given this rx back in March, and its now May. Most sites say using it daily for more than 4 weeks can cause an extremely hard to break addiction.

today im struggling with not taking a dose. its almost like when i quit smoking cigs (a little easier, i must admit)

im either in my head about it, or im seriously addicted to benzos after 2 months.

fuckkkkkk. any similar experiences out there?

Lorazepam is one of the more addictive benzos, and most likely the most addictive of the medium-acting class. Have you been taking it every day? You're probably experiencing a mild withdrawal syndrome. This is not uncommon.

Did you just stop taking your doses? It's generally not advised to stop benzos cold turkey. I would look into tapering plans (which means speaking to your doctor about slowing reducing your lorazepam dosage or replacing your lorazepam with a longer acting benzo such as clonazepam (Klonopin) or diazepam (Valium) and then tapering down with that.

You haven't been taking a high dosage for that long, but its still likely that you're starting to experience the beginnings of the benzo withdrawal syndrome. This is normal and can be resolved by tapering down your doses slowly. Again, cold turkey withdrawal off benzos is not recommended.

yeah i just stopped taking it today, i felt like i was about to pass out... fuckin nuts. im going to call my doctor today and tell him about it.

i had no idea that withdrawal from benzos could be this serious. kinda pissed they are able to prescribe medications like that. It was a miracle for the times when i actually needed it (panic attacks and whatnot) but the fact that i feel like im going to pass out without it is pretty upsetting.

I just took .5mg so hopefully i can go about my day and figure out the best "plan of attack" for getting off this drug.

Benzo withdrawal can be very serious, your case is a mild one and is easily managed/treated, so its not all bad. Taking that 0.5mg was a good choice if you ask me. Same with the plan to contact your doctor.

I recommend calling your doctor as soon as possible and speaking to him/her about a tapering plan. Most doctors that prescribe benzos are aware of their addictive qualities and are at least familiar with tapering plans, the most common being the diazepam (Valium) taper.

jesus, i just read a few articles online about benzo withdrawal and it sounds HORRID.

is it likely that just after such a short period of around 2 months (and relatively low dose, never more than 2mg a day and often times just one in the am and one at night totaling 1mg) that i could experience such hardcore symptoms?

i think the wikipedia article just freaked me the fuck out tbh

Geez, benzos really can be scary... Had I only known that when I was prescribed them the first time. Now I've been on Valium for 13 YEARS!
I don't dare to try to quit, when problems like you describe comes after a couple of months...

holy shit, dude yeah i wouldnt either, i would just kind of accept that i had to take it for the rest of my life.

i just got off the phone with my family doc, who is literally a life saver (he's kinda like dr house in the respect that he has an odd sense of humor, gets annoyed if you call on him too much, but when it comes down to it he can diagnose even the most RARE of conditions. He caught Toxic shock syndrome in me post surgery on my neck and im a male within seconds of seeing me.)

anyway, he put me on a taper plan with the rest of my Rx i have sitting here, should take 6 fucking weeks to recover fully (wonderful...) but i most likely wont encounter those types of symptoms when im taking .25mg a day for the last 2 weeks

^That's excellent news!

Good to hear your doctor was able to work with you and work out a taper plan! :)

I did some reading here and benzo withdrawal sounds worse than any of them.

I have been tapering off and use diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and 2 acetaminophen to help me go to sleep at night.

Ive taken Ativan with my Norcos every day for 2 weeks w/o any withrawal. Luckily I ran out, cause the last thing I need is a benzo addiction, grrr.......

yeah dude, this is no fuckin joke. i want to do something equally evil to the guy who prescribed them to me

i have done benzos for over 7 years at very high doses (10 to 40mg of alprazolam at a time) and i never have withdrawals i think opiate/opioid withdrawals are like hell but with benzos i do just fine except an increase in anxiety for a couple of weeks

i have done benzos for over 7 years at very high doses (10 to 40mg of alprazolam at a time) and i never have withdrawals i think opiate/opioid withdrawals are like hell but with benzos i do just fine except an increase in anxiety for a couple of weeks

you lucky bastard

Some people are like this for all drugs. Some people for some reason do not get withdrawals. These are ver rare cases but non the less, they exist.

I for one took Ativan for 2 weeks straight but quit knowing there could possibly be a problem if I kept using.

Last edited:
i've been on benzos since I was 14 and stopped taking them for a few months when I was hospitalized. It was really hard, but not impossible. If you have to willpower you can do it. I take a lot less now and don't take it recreationaly anymore. Taking less or taking none at all really clears up your head imo.

yeah dude, this is no fuckin joke. i want to do something equally evil to the guy who prescribed them to me

Dude, don't blame the doctor for prescribing them. I hate when people take the responsibility off of themselves. You should be smart enough to do some research before putting any chemical in your body. No offense man, not trying to be a dick here, but come on, you have a computer.