• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

I wasn't judging, Im really sorry if it looked like it. Sorry.
No worries, WTF ? is appropriate for about half the stuff I blurt out on here.

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN - 20 grams of some fine quality meang da,

Hey GM have you tried several varieties of Kratom? Is Meang Da your favorite and if so is there any major difference between Red, White and Green vein? Or say Bali & Borneo ?

No worries, WTF ? is appropriate for about half the stuff I blurt out on here.

Hey GM have you tried several varieties of Kratom? Is Meang Da your favorite and if so is there any major difference between Red, White and Green vein? Or say Bali & Borneo ?

Meang da is the only strain I have really tried. I did a bit of research before going with meang da and I chose it because people reported getting energy from it and when I'm in withdrawal energy is a huge plus. And yes, it can give energy. It can also knock you on your ass if you consume a large amount in a short amount of time.

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible for marijuana to precipitate codeine withdrawal? I was on codeine for about 4 months, it was the only thing that helped the severe sciatica I had from a herniated disc that left me practically bedridden. At one point (only for a few days) I was taking 10 x 30mg codeine phosphate pills a day, as the 8 max I'd been told to take (2 pills 4 times a day) wasn't covering it and I was getting a lot of pain at night.
Eventually when the pain lessened I dropped down a 2-3 pills a day with seemingly no problems, and even had 1 or 2 days a week where I didn't take any. When I went back to work my stress levels ramped up and I found I liked taking them to get that little warm rush and calming effect. I was still only taking maybe 2 in the morning, 2 at night though.
Just after Christmas I had 2 codeine about 6pm then went to my friends and she offered me a joint at about 10pm. I only smoked half as I'm not a big weed smoker and don't like the taste, but come 11pm and I was suffering severe abdominal cramps, sweating, shaking, nausea, horrible diarrhoea (once all the constipated crap had been pushed through first, gross I know). That went on for 2 days, then the anxiety started, and the restless legs. God, the horror of restless legs! Never want to go through that again...

I realised then that I hadn't taken any codeine for a few days and that what I was going through was withdrawal. The restless legs is only mild now, but still dealing with the depression/anxiety. I just don't get:

1. How I can have become addicted on the small, irregular doses I was taking for the last month or so of being on codeine
2. How withdrawals (the stomach cramps/nausea/diarrhoea) could have kicked in so soon after my last dose without the marijuana maybe playing a part? Something to do with receptors or something maybe?

From what I've read it can as little as two weeks to become physically dependent on pain killers. Withdrawals usually set in sooner and are the worse for me on day 3 and 4. You're almost done with it. Give it a couple more days and see how you feel.

Oh! The weed most likely didn't have anything to do with it.

It's day 3 folks! Still not extremely miserable but it seems i am bumping in to everything and accidentally kicking shit and also having some memory issues. All perfectly normal for me. My regimen this morning - 4mg loperamide, 20 grams kratom and 400 mg ibuprofen.

Last edited:
Thanks gmlifer, been off codeine for just over 3 weeks now. The last week or two I've been getting back pain which keeps waking me up, so my sleep has gone to hell. I so want to take a couple of those tiny pills and not ache anymore but I can't go through that withdrawal again. I guess increased pain is another side effect of coming off?

You're doing well if you're only on day 3. I don't think I could have typed my name let alone a paragraph.

Thanks gmlifer, been off codeine for just over 3 weeks now. The last week or two I've been getting back pain which keeps waking me up, so my sleep has gone to hell. I so want to take a couple of those tiny pills and not ache anymore but I can't go through that withdrawal again. I guess increased pain is another side effect of coming off?

You're doing well if you're only on day 3. I don't think I could have typed my name let alone a paragraph.

Back pain sucks but hopefully you will find a way to relieve the pain without taking meds. As for my withdrawal I'm a self proclaimed professional at withdrawals seeing as how I come off of 100mg + a day of oxy every single month. The main reason I'm posting about it is because I can do it with next to no physical withdrawals so I wanted to share what I do to avoid them.

Back pain sucks but hopefully you will find a way to relieve the pain without taking meds. As for my withdrawal I'm a self proclaimed professional at withdrawals seeing as how I come off of 100mg + a day of oxy every single month. The main reason I'm posting about it is because I can do it with next to no physical withdrawals so I wanted to share what I do to avoid them.

And what do you do to avoid them?

I still don't get why I started codeine withdrawal 5 or 6 hours after my last dose when I'd been going a day or 2 without it prior to that with absolutely no symptoms. The weed was the only variable, it must have had something to do with it? Oh and I had 2 shots of whisky, but I'd drunk before while taking codeine (though never very much) and never went into withdrawal.

Typically day 1 on low dose weaker pk's you don't get much of any withdrawal. I can't remember much about day two but you can ALWAYS count on day 3. It's just coincidence brotha. That's all.

Can't believe this but -
Right before Christmas, on Christmas Eve, I slipped and fell on some ice. Don't know if it was the way I fell, the ground or whatever but it really f**ked up my left leg. I just went home, but by Christmas I could not put any weight on it.
Anyway, I've been clean from dope for 6 years, and have rarely used opiates. So the pain was so great that I gave in and got a script for oxy. I didn't bang it up or anything, but took it as prescribed for only TWO days. I figured that I would manage the rest.

Anyway, fast forward 12 hours after my last dose of oxy. Only two days and 6 years clean. I'm in immediate withdrawals. I thought i first it was a trick on my mind, so I just ignored everything but by day 3 I was ready to call my dealer.
Now I don't buy into 12-step stuff, but I have to admit that some of it helped me through the hell I went through. I don't know whether to call this a slip-up, I mean in a way I gave in but the pain was so bad that I was crying. I did NOT think that two days of moderate oxy use would put me back into a hell.

I know from reading that some old-time addicts, who, using after many years, experience withdrawal from only a small to moderate amount of opiates, exist. But why the hell? I'm not even going to cry about it, I already have. I have a job now, I'm good, I'm off MMT and I'm just doing my own thing. I don't want that to change. What I want to know is why the withdrawal happened. It was not as bad as a heroin withdrawal, but was still hell.

I believe it's called the "kindling effect". Where each successive w/d throws you right back into hell even when the use is not massive or long term. I've also had a strange, atypical w/d feeling after using an uber-potent strain of cannabis but it's not consistent, only once in a blue moon when I was on the edge of w/d's to begin with. I had 20 min periods of sweating, tearing up , runny nose and agitation after a beer or shot while on morphine but not other opioids which is strange as well.

Yeah so I went shopping and came back with goodies. I know it's not enough to last until my appointment and I will just have to start over with day 1 again in a few days but that's my life these days. I could prolly buy a corvette for the monthly price of my addiction.

Last edited:
Before my oxy dealer shot himself he was selling his script of OC 80's for a dollar/ milligram and moving some for a cartel supplier as well, a little less than a year later he had $90,000 and w/o a job. It's hard to explain the reliance and simultaneous loathing that goes into the user /dealer relationship if you have never had one.

I'm now 13 days until I get my refill and start this process all over again.

I know what you mean about taking everything you have. I do the exact same thing without fail. I don't even fight myself over it anymore.

Damn GM, 13 days is eff'ing brutal! You must really go gonzo when you get your script(s) filled each month. For myself, I ran out 5 or 6 days early this month and even though I kind of tapered (very difficult to do), the WD's were terrible although at least I was able to push back the loose bowels with lope. I will not let this happen again, I swear! It's just too tough on one's body and especially for an old guy like me. I wish you all the luck in the world with getting through till your next fill date. Personally, I want to remember how much I suffered this past time to help me remember to only take what I'm supposed to so I don't have to worry about running out early. I hope you make it through with as little pain as possible and if not, try like me to remember how much this whole process hurts and maybe we both can maybe make things work out in the semi-near future.

Thank you beachbum! Unfortunately I went out and purchased some OxyContin. I think I made like 3 days of withdrawals then someone gave me some hydros then I made 2 more days and said fuck it and went to see the dealer. Interesting enough this is my first experience with the op 80's and I have to tell you this is the little pill that could. I'm surprised at how effective it is and how long it is effective. Now I have 6 days left until my refill and most likely will not run out before then.

HI

So I hope it's my last message here.

I tried to kick an addiction (not very serious) of codeine. I need to work in approximately 1 week

For that, I took 1 sub 2mg, 1 day off, 1 sub 2mg, 1 or 2 day off, then 4mg of sub 2 day ago in order to profit to the long half life to avoid withdrawal (not sure of the rationnal lol) - because I had an appointement yesterday and today.

Actually, I experience 0 wd. I bet Ill feel a bit bad in the next week, but do you think Ill be okay in 1 week ? I took no more sub than I said.

Thx

Now we are at the second day after the last sub and I'm neither high neither withdrawaling, I'm normal. No hot/cold flash and stuff.

DO you think it will be okay ?

My plan was to avoid taking sub everyday because I know sub WD is fucked up. So 7 days left, but I didn't took sub for long time, do you think Ill experience the full sub withdrawal ? Remember, we are at second day without and Ive 0 symptoms at this moment (I know sub withdrawal begin the third day, but generally already in the second day you feel somewhat bad)

I bet tomorrow will be THE day where I ll see if Ill suffer

Last edited:
Small codeine habit, followed by 3 days of sub use= Won't feel great, but won't be in the 9 ring of opiate WD hell.

Do you think Ill be relatively OKAY in a week ? just functionnal

My codeine habit was 300mg each 2 day followed by 1 day of pause