• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Yes it should be safe, however I have no experience using it as a withdrawal med.

As a little aside, if one can get good kava kava powder, it can definitely help with some tension/anxiety/sleeplessness.

I was taking oxycodone and methadone and gabapentin daily for 3 years. I was up to 240 mg oxy and 40 mg methadone and 2700 mg of gabapentin for in the final year. In January I made my second attempt to quit. I'm not a good taperer, and don't like to prolong the inevitable, so I quit cold turkey. I was armed with clonidine, promethazine, and diphenhydramine from my primary, but had moved away and had no medical supervision. I resigned myself to let the withdrawal take me where it would, and it took me to hell. I was willing to go through whatever it took to get free. I read all of your stories faithfully. You gave me strength and hope that I found nowhere else, so I want to give back. I am 7 months opiate free, and I have my life back. It took 2 days for WD to come. I was violently ill, sleep deprived, and filled with terror for over a month. However, on day 4, all if the pain for which I was being treated disappeared. Even the sensitivity in my teeth was gone. I had night sweats for months. I still have fatigue and my patience is low, which is difficult with 3 little kids. Like many others, I am here to say it's possible, and I want to lend my support in any way I can. It is a horrific life to be a slave. I have not had to take a pill, search for pills, or think about what I'm going to do for 222 days.

Last edited:
Yes it should be safe, however I have no experience using it as a withdrawal med.

As a little aside, if one can get good kava kava powder, it can definitely help with some tension/anxiety/sleeplessness.
Should be safe - is not conducive to proper HR. Ask your doctor and check out the available sites that have contraindication tables. There's links in the OD directory to them.

Freaked out about pain pill withdrawals

I'm a 44 year old female and I have been on pain med for about 10 years, the last 5 on a consistent basis. I do take them for pain related issues, in other words I haven't used them to recreationally get high and I have never taken them any other way than swallowing them in pill form. I would say on an average I take about 50 to 70 mg's daily, 50 mg of the stronger meds and 70 of the other. The very reason I began taking them, to ease my pain and be able to get on with daily functions has now turned in to being wiped out or feeling "blah" and not wanting to do anything. And don't get me wrong, I am aware of the euphoric feeling as well as it easing my pain away. But I have become so dependent on them and I want to get off them and regain my life back. But I am extremely afraid of the withdrawals. I don't really know what to expect and for how long. I know it's different for everyone, but I keep freaking myself out that I'm going to be soooooo sick and near death and that it's going to last forever. Can anyone chime in and give me some advice or your experiences with withdrawing? If there's anything I can buy OTC that will help with the symptoms and what got you through it. I would greatly appreciate it. I do have at my disposal at the moment 15 Tramadols, 10 or so 2 mg Valium, diarrhea pills and Ibuprofen, Naproxen. I have never been addicted to anything in my life and I am a pretty strong willed person, but I am freaking out about how this is going to affect me. Thank you for taking the time to read my fears and thoughts!

Immodium is an opiate of sorts so that'll help you out a bit and everything else u got there will help u as well. Lyrica and gabapentin(lyricas little brother) will also help. Any b vitamins will help too. None of this will be anything near painless. You've been on meds for a long time so it's gonna be brutal but since it's your first time detoxing then the acute symptoms will only last 3-5 days. Better to tough it out and never go back if that's possible. I'm a pain patient on a similar dose as well so in wondering what are you going to do to treat your pain? Anyway I wish u all the best. If you go back on the opiates after getting clean it'll be twice as hard, the wd will be much worse so be sure this is the end of it or next time u may not be able to stand the wd symptoms!
If u find that it's too hard to quit then suboxone is always an option, u don't get the euphoria but u won't get sick... Good luck and god bless, i wish u all the best ;)

If you have been prescribed the medication for the pain, then talk to the prescribing doctor and let him or her know how you are feeling. There are supportive medications that can be prescribed to make the withdrawal easier--not easy, but a bit more tolerable.

I have heard of suboxone but not sure where I would even get that at. In other words, can I get it somewhere where I don't have to go in to an inpatient rehab? I am going to try to grin and bear the pain. Try some natural, herbal remedies and more physical therapy.

i suggest you don't use any opiates.

here's your remedy i guarantee it. take 2 x 300mg pregabalin and 2 x 0.5 milligrams alprazolam.

suddenly, the withdrawals will vanish like magic. i use them to the least possible time that i need to (4-5 days usually).
could you specify what medications you were taking though?

homeless -> other drugs (opioid withdrawal megathread)

So, I only need to get thru a couple of days and all I have at home is Nyquil and Celebrex and no money to get anything else. Worth taking? Anyone take Nyquil in daytime and not pass out? (I have to be awake today, have day off but have stuff I need to do at home)

if it's the stuff with codeine than you need to be careful. it depends on your tolerance to opioids and how careful you are when titrating your dose upwards.

Nyquil is Doxylamine and DXM cough/sleep syrup.

I have taken 25mg doxylamine in the daytime and stayed awake, although a little foggy headed.
And DXM in the daytime is perfectly fine, in fact for me and a few others DXM can help wd symptoms. The only one it helps for me though is restlessness (weird i know) but doesn't completely get rid of all of it.

-HOOD

Coming off opiads SUCKS!! I started doing heroin again four yrs ago, switched to methadone thru a clinic, then fetanyl thru a doctor, once I started weaning off fet, I switched back to heroin. I've been trying to kick for months now. I always use on the second day. Tomorrow will be the second day. This time I went to a doctor and got clonadine, I've never done that before. I have to go to work tomorrow and I'm totally freaking out! I hate being a slave to this drug, that is how I feel, like I'm handcuffed to this stupid drug and it controls every aspect of my life.

Thanks, HOOD and good luck, Dopegirl. I do think day two sucks the most sometimes, which is where I'm at--restless sleep, stinky with a rusty-clammy scent/ feel, despite two baths yesterday, just had to take Imodium (hopefully it will work it wonders asap since I have to leave for work in a little over a half hour). I may just go in early to change my environment and ditch the creepy-crawly restless feel I had around the house all day yesterday.

Suboxone is the devil. Just a legal ploy to keep you in the money machine.
Here is a big tip though. My dog had a huge heroin habit, and was prescribed like 15 mg of sub to start. After waiting 48 hours from last H dose, the sub brought on horrible, unimaginable precipitated WD.same thing two days later. So basically three more days of cold turkey, and he has used sub to feelbetter now that the H is out of his system. But... Only about 1mg.
I believe that the dosage of bike as prescribed is to get you cross addicted?! fido feels fine on a tiny crumb of a zubsolv sublingual tab once a day. At this rate he'll be on nothing in two more days.

Try to get bupenephrine without Naloxone, a nasty blocker that will send you spiralling into precip WD. Straight bupe will cover your WD, likely at a fraction of the recommended dosage! Doctors want you hooked on sub for the money. It is extremely long acting/half life, and potent. I went from a big H habit to just 1mg/day of bupe! Reasonably comfortable. I'm tired and weak but nothing like full WD. If the doctor tries to get you to take bupe w/Naloxone, refuse! You would essentially have to have gone cold turkey before taking sub/Naloxone due to remaining H on your receptors causing PWD. Explain that you want off the H. Its not like this is court ordered, you dont need a blocker that won't let you have the benefits of the bupe for several days.
WORD!!!

Suboxone is the devil. Just a legal ploy to keep you in the money machine.
Here is a big tip though. My dog had a huge heroin habit, and was prescribed like 15 mg of sub to start. After waiting 48 hours from last H dose, the sub brought on horrible, unimaginable precipitated WD.same thing two days later. So basically three more days of cold turkey, and he has used sub to feelbetter now that the H is out of his system. But... Only about 1mg.
I believe that the dosage of bike as prescribed is to get you cross addicted?! fido feels fine on a tiny crumb of a zubsolv sublingual tab once a day. At this rate he'll be on nothing in two more days.

^ that nalaxone in suboxone isn't really active from what I hear and have experienced. Subs are shit full stop, the taste, the lack of relief, the stigma getting an rx for em filled all of it, I'll go with lope next time.

Opiate withdrawal...40 hrs in

I "had" a habit of 30-60 mg of hydrocodone a day, for 4 years. Took last pill 40 hours ago and haven't felt too may symptoms of withdrawal (just less energy). I am taking 300mg a day of neurotin and immodium. What do you all think? Am I in the clear with such a "light" habit? Will things get worse? Has anyone had a "decent" withdrawal like this? I feel like I am still waiting for the worst...I mean, 4 years of using and no bad come down...doesn't seem right

From personal experience my opiate withdrawals usually start no later than 24 hrs after last dose, and the worst is only for about 3 days. I only binge once a month, about 50-75mg oxycodone per day for about a week, then the next week is absolute hell. No energy, horrible mood swings, diarrhea, chills, sweats, hot and cold at the same time. Still not as severe as some(ex: vomiting, etc).

Judging from my experience(obviously we arent the same), you should be in such hell right now lol, although you are taking hydrocodone which is a bit weaker than oxy, but you've taken it everyday for 4 years. Sounds like you may be pretty lucky idk if you're out of the clear though everyone responds different.

And for days I have been spending hours reading hellish posts of withdrawal. So I called in sick today, but I honestly feel I could work! My mind is a bit foggy, but other than that and no energy, I'm pretty good. I'm not sure if the immodium and neurontin could be my saving grace or if I am just lucky! I was and am expecting the worst, but so far, so good , not even the shakes...I work in healthcare, so I am also very aware of how bad things SHOULD be.

I've never tried to quit before, so this is all new to me...