• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

So I'm almost 48 hours clean of tramadol and codeine.

I have used paracetamol and gabapenton to ease withdrawals. I have take 300 at 5oclock and 300 at 11oclock. It seems to have worked a lot especially with the rls.

The symptoms I am feeling are...

Hot sweats
Aches and pains
Cravings
Rls all over my body
Slight headaches

I say this but I feel they are bareable using the gabapenton and paracetamol. I am also feeling so bored I guess that's from not feeling high all the time. To get through these past 48 hours I have watched a lot of box sets and TV shows to keep me occupied and also hot baths and hot water bottles help a lot.

The only thing keeping me going is the excitement of knowing I will be happier and healthier in a few weeks and I will be able to enjoy life like a normal person. I have lost so much due to addicted and I can't wait to get my life back on track.

Any help with how long to take gabapenton for when withdrawing?

Gabapentin is very helpful and is rx'd for RLS commonly. You can take it for a while and at surprisingly high doses. Ppl report d/c syndrome but that's probably after several months of use.

Keep taking it until you feel like you don't need it anymore.

Hope thay answers your question.

Many thanks for that, and kudos on this thread generally - really helpful advice and information. It's perhaps a little bit sad that you can often get better advice for aspects of this kind of thing from an internet forum rather than from medical professionals, although in another sense it's not surprising. Will just throw another question out there whilst I'm at it: in many ways getting through WD is the easy part (although obviously it's NOT easy) - the psychological malaise that can engulf you after getting clean is a huge reason many people release obviously. I'm wondering if anyone has tried very small doses of ketamine post-acute WD's? Not so much as an opiate substitute as a mental health tool? Obviously there's the risk of merely swapping one habit for another, but I'm thinking of maybe just three weeks or so of a very small daily dose of K...anyone used this as a part of a strategy to stay clean after they've kicked?

Just for posterity's sake, I feel obliged to mention that after I tapered down to 0.25mg subutex, jumped, and was hit by depression so I kept the 0.25mg/day regimen up and it wD great for that post-w/d malaise & depression.

Obviously that is the opposite of getting off but a single sub will last a month and months of no mind funk + easy jump off (0.25mg stretched out is any easy kick).

Sorry, I know nothing of ketamine but have heard it working similarly. You'll probably chill and sneeze and sleep like crap for a while though.

So I can't sleep I did have about 3 hours sleep then woke up with really bad rls so I took another 300mg of gaba. It's weird because I didn't have to last night. God 8 can't wait for this to be over

So yesterday I took 300mg gabapenton at 5 and then 300 at 11 I did sleep much better. Anyone know how long I should do this for? Will it slow the process of withdrawal down and set me back?

The Gabapentin is your friend in this battle and won't prolong your withdrawal in the slightest so hit it a little harder if need be just don't become too fond of it as it "helps" with all sorts of problems besides W/D's. A good NSAID like ibuprofen can help with the head and body-aches if you don't have an upset stomach. If you have someone that can run to the store for you a box of sleepytime tea also helps a little. Shouldn't be too much longer till the hell starts to diminish, Hang in there.

I've read a lot about ibogaine, and it's effects. I don't know what others on this forum think about it, but a friend of mine went down to Baja, took that medicine, and stopped taking opiates overnight. He said there were no bad effects, and was able to stay clean off it. He actually relapsed after a couple of months, but said that when he used again, the effect was different and he didn't want to continue. He used for a few days, and then went off them again, and now he's been clean for over a year. He said doing the ibogaine treatment was the best decision he ever made. The place he went to was http://ibogainemexico.com.

Thank you this makes me feel lots better I'm well into day 3 now and woke up feeling OK but I know it's because of the gabapenton I took. I took 900mg yesterday it seems to be enough to keep the withdrawals at bay. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Thank you ? so day 4 as been better. The only symptom I've really gotten was the rls I'm hoping they will get better in a few days. Thank you for the support. Also yesterday I took 400mg of gaba before bed and slept very well considering. X

Day 5 here!!! So happy I've reached day 5. Never thought I would do it. Woke up feeling good apart from the rls x

I am getting off opiates, at least daily, as I do have incredible pain. I stopped pretty much cold turkey. I was Tired of the monthly visits and embarrassment. I was ANGRY about someone having control over my life. I am very rebellious. I cant believe I let myself become dependent on opiates like I did. The way I did it was with marijuana. It's a gift from God. It took away pain, N/V, Diarrhea after smoking and eating small meals after ever bout of it, Abdominal pain, my back pain, anxiety, insomnia, and it cleared my thoughts while giving me hope. I have no RSL after a week. No frog in my throat or that horrid weird feeling. Now, it has been a month and I feel better every day. I am ready to live my life again. I know because I have issues It will take time. I have a hard head and I am determined to get better for me. Marijuana does so much more than opiates did. I will still need something from time to time but I don't want to be dependent on opiates again. I also did take 10-15 mg valium as well, but I was already on it. I am working on that next. I have also started meditation and deep breathing and mentally blocking sensations I do not like. We perceive pain. I tell my self it is not real and I breath it away. It works when my mind is strong. It works for sleep. I still have a long way to go to get fit. This is my story at the moment and I hope to succeed.

@Caroline, my friend tapered to 10mg methadone pill and eventually kicked it by smoking weed. He says it was horrible like anyone else, but he says pretty much the same thing as you did, smoking weed was instrumental in getting him clean and keeping him mentally stable.

Anyone kicking suboxone. I will just say there is a big difference for me in kicking 2mg per day to waiting until I got down to .25mg per day. The green 2mg strips really helped in tapering, I'm not sure I could have done it with 8mg strips or pill form. If doing it again, I would always be patient. But peoples circumstances and willpower can be different.

My doctor gave me tramadol, gabapentin, klonopin, and I smoke trees and I had very little withdrawal symptoms. Insomnia and mental battle are what I'm fighting. Very little in the way of physical withdrawals.

Hi So day 7!!! I feel great other than lingering rls which I guess will fade as the days go on. I feel like I'm getting there and have a hope. Not got many gabapenton left so I will be stopping that within the next couple of days. I'm determined as the days go on I know things can only get better!!! Sleep is also getting better and through the day I've been keeping my self busy which helps ?

Congrats jadechick, it seems like you're out of the woods with physical withdrawal. You might want to try taper what you have left of gabapentin. I remember feeling like I was becoming dependent on it when I was kicking suboxone. I mean, it's not like kicking an opiate, but it was still annoying from what I remember. Good luck.

Hi So day 7!!! I feel great other than lingering rls which I guess will fade as the days go on. I feel like I'm getting there and have a hope. Not got many gabapenton left so I will be stopping that within the next couple of days. I'm determined as the days go on I know things can only get better!!! Sleep is also getting better and through the day I've been keeping my self busy which helps ��

Great man!