• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

I find Lyrica helps...not a whole lot, but it will relieve some pain and possibly some anxiety....gawd-dam opiates!!! I hate them and love them all at the same time.

Well I didn't plan on tapering,I just thought that the large amount of sub would take away the first few days of the wd and that since I wasn't addicted to the sub I would just kick for the last week or so off the h...it actually did stop the wd for like the couple of weeks but than it started up again for a long time ha...
Yeah it doesn't quite work like that. The enjoyable receptor that opioids act on is called the mu opioid receptor. So the bupe just took the heroin's place at the same spot.

^This. If you're addicted to H, you're addicted to all opiates, as all opiates have cross-tolerance (because all opiates/opioids act on the mu opioid receptor).

It's been five days now and I'm starting to feel pretty good...all I had his past week was a feeling of being cold and mild Rls.... weird how I'm not feeling too bad..hope it keeps dying down and not go up and down again...

Need some help with my WD's

Does anyone have any suggestions for substances that i can use to help with my WD's?

I feel that I do not want to use suboxone, as my WD's arent that bad and the only symptoms i really have are lethargy, slight depression, and pretty bad muscular cramps/soreness. I also dont want to use subs because I know its easy to get addicted to suboxone as well since its also an opiate (and a strong one, at that)

Tonight, I took about 4mg of xanax and a couple of multivitamins, and drank lots of cold water and took a long, hot shower. I feel better for sure, but still am defininetely in withdrawal.

Any other suggestions other than benzodiazepines, rest, multivitamins and lots of cold water that would also help? I've heard that clonidine works well and similarly to xanax, but i unfortunately dont have access to clonidine.

Anything else you guys do that is non-narcotic and helps with your WD's?

-contin

I'm going to guess that if you searched around you could find something, since this is probably a very frequent topic. But you're in WDs and probably don't want to spend time looking shit up, you'd rather just feel better, so I'll bite...here's what has worked for me:

Dextromethorphan - the Robo cough gels work pretty well. 30-60 mg, not even enough to trip off of, can get rid of some of the aches n' pains.
Loperamide (Imodium) - Keeps you from shitting, and for some people helps with many more symptoms. It's an opiate that doesnt cross the ol' triple B, so that makes sense.
Ramen - You gotta eat something, and you dont want to eat, so ramen is something that's pretty easy to get down and keep down
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Dramamine, etc.) - It'll help you sleep. I guess you have benzos, too, but antihistamines work better for some people.
5-HTP - This serotonin precursor should help with your depression, although it could make you more lethargic, too

Personally I wouldn't take the vitamins cuz they make me nauseous, but if they're working for you then keep at it. Also I find that having a few drinks helps if you have to socialize (in an environment where it's okay to drink), and could help you sleep, but most people think that the resulting hangover isn't worth it, YMMV.

And you're doing the right thing avoiding the subs. They'd only make your wds last longer, and it doesn't seem like you have a large enough habit to really merit anything but a cold turkey withdrawal. Good luck man.

Thanks dude, im going to give the DXM and the benadryl a try on a night when i run out of xanax. I actually recall someone else talking about low doses of DXM helping them alot, just forgot about that.

And also, just for future reference, what does YMMV mean?

Thanks dude, im going to give the DXM and the benadryl a try on a night when i run out of xanax. I actually recall someone else talking about low doses of DXM helping them alot, just forgot about that.

And also, just for future reference, what does YMMV mean?

YMMV = your mileage may vary

And yeah, I've had incredible success with taking DXM during wds. Generally I'd redose 30 mg a couple times a day, or chug some delsym in the morning and rely on the time release to get me through a day without having to redose. It does wonders for me for the cramps and restless legs...its kinda like the pain is maybe still there, but I'm not aware of it, or just don't care. NMDA antagonists like DXM and ketamine do have some use treating nerve pain, so it makes sense that they'd take care of that symptom.

I'd try the imodium, too, since some people really have a lot of luck with that. My friend today was telling me how he took it over the weekend and was able to ride out heroin WDs just fine. At the very least you'll be happy that you aren't shitting your guts out!

Wordup, thanks necro. I need all the info i can get considering I am extremely serious about not relapsing this time. I'm beginning a serious job soon, and do not have room in my adult life for a substance addiction. Your posts helped alot for my plans for detoxing in the next few days, and i thank you for that.

-contin

I'm glad my posts could help you a bit, and I wish you luck. Opiate addiction is, for 99% of people, absolutely incompatible with anything resembling a normal life. Good for you taking these steps to quit before you start your job, you'll be extremely happy that you did. If you have any other questions about kicking, post em here and I'll try to reply. I'd say to send me a PM, but it looks like, since we're both greenlighters, we aren't able to PM.

>>>Merged

Check out the second post mcgrCONTIN :)

Last edited:
This is a good thread....although I disagree about excersise. If your in full blown withdrawals, and not PAWS, I would avoid excercise. It made me feel even worse afterwords. Wait until all the physical symtoms have subsided, THEN exercise!!

How long does it take for physical addiction to wear off

I started taking high doses of dihydrocodeine regularly every day for a month and I'm fairly sure I'm physically addicted. I decided to get myself unaddicted so I've substituted the DHC with plain codeine and started taking a daily dose thats about 5X less than what I was taking before. At first I just took 300mg of codeine 24 hours after my last dose of DHC but fairly harsh withdrawal symptoms kicked in so I upped my codeine a dose of 600mg every 24 hours. This gets rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but I'm wondering what kinda progress I'm making if any. Do you need to feel the withdrawal symptoms in order for your depleted opioid receptors to start reforming?

If you are taking enough codeine to eliminate all of your withdrawal symptoms and it is making you feel about the same as you would with your regular dose of DHC then you are probably not making much progress. However since Codeine is a little bit weaker than DHC and has a ceiling dose based on how much your liver can metabolize into Morphine you may be making a tiny bit of progress.

If you are thinking that switching from codeine to DHC eliminates you addiction or dependence you are incorrect.

All you are doing is substituting one addiction for another. Both Codeine and DHC are opiates so unless you are planning on tapering with the codeine you might as well go back to your DHC and at least enjoy you high a little more.

Now if you are serious about getting off of opiates completely or at lease lowering your dose then you should just set up a taper schedule and slowly step down using the codeine.

If you are taking 600mg of codeine a day then start cutting that by 50mg every 3 or 4 days tell you get to nothing. You can also do this with the DHC, and in fact I think DHC actually has a longer half life so it could be better for tapering. I know they make DHC continuous that would keep the levels of drug in your body level through out the day making the taper much smother.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just merged this into a good mega thread for you ampkine. Be sure to read the first post.
Physical addiction as you are using it is better described with the term "physical dependence."

>>> merged

I'm hoping that the large increase in timing between doses (going from dosing every 3 hours to every 24 hours) will contribute something though. Right now I'm toughing out an hour or 2 of withdrawal symptoms per day and gradually increasing the time between doses. For example say yesterday I waited 24 hours to take my daily 600mg of codeine, today I'll wait 25 hours. Toughing out an hour or two of withdrawal per day is dead easy because you know that when you finally do redose you'll go from feeling like shit to feeling good.

Gradually tapering down my dosage of DHC looks like a good approach though I might just do that instead. The dose spacing approach makes a lot of sense though. If you add say an hour each day (or every few days depending on how long it takes for receptors to reform) to the space between your doses then you will be forcing yourself to endure a limited time period of withdrawal but it is not all that bad because you know you only have to endure it for an hour or so. This may be tricky to synchronise if you have to get up at the same time each morning because your dose time will eventually go past your bed time so when that happens you'll probably be forced to switch to the dosage tapering approach.

Anyhow thanks for merging my post with this thread. Gonna give it a read.

EDIT: The guide doesn't say much about PAWS. How long do PAWS last for?

Last edited:
I think PAWS can last a long time, many months even. There are some aspects of PAWS that may never go away. I would try and eat well, take some vitamins/supplements, and get out some. That will help.

The problem you are going to have with spacing your dose out like you are talking about is that you are changing the time between doses but the amount of time you dose lasts will not change at all. Your just going to end up suffering longer and longer but without lowering your dose it will be basically like quitting cold turkey every day. Why would you want to do that to yourself?

Once you taper your dose down to a very low dose you can go to every other day dosing for a little while but eventually at some point you just have to bite the bullet and jump off and suffer through the minor symptoms you will have with a proper taper.

The problem you are going to have with spacing your dose out like you are talking about is that you are changing the time between doses but the amount of time you dose lasts will not change at all. Your just going to end up suffering longer and longer but without lowering your dose it will be basically like quitting cold turkey every day. Why would you want to do that to yourself?

Physical dependance has a lot to do with how regularly you are dosing too. If you are on a drug all day everyday your body will adapt to the drug far more than if you are just taking 1 daily dose. This dose spacing approach isn't working very well though its only been about 12 hours since my last dose and I feel like crap. I'm running low on money at the moment so its looking like a run in with the cold turkey is in the pipeline. As crazy as it sounds, amphetamines definitely mask withdrawal symptoms. I took 30mg of dextroamphetamine earlier and its starting to kick in and I feel my w/d symptoms fading by the minute. I've experienced this plenty of times before. The downside is when the amps wear off you have to deal with both amphetamine comedown and opioid withdrawal so I make sure I always have a spare dose of opioids set aside for when this happens.

I've heard that clonidine works well and similarly to xanax, but i unfortunately dont have access to clonidine.

-contin

im interested in this, i know clonidine is used for withdrawal but for what purpose exactly i dont know? i know it wont feel like xanax but is it as useful, in some sense? if you dont have a benzo habit/tolerance, a good dose of xanax is a godsend for opiate withdrawal. have many of you guys had much success with clonidine?

thanks.

Last edited: