• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

^^

You're withdrawals are based on how much of the drug you're doing, not how high you are when you dose. That has nothing to do with it.

The larger your tolerance, the more severe your withdrawals are.

^^^

One day is just about all you can push it to. Maybe two.

As far as the pill thing.. it really all depends on what dose you are on. If you're taking a lose dose of weaker pain killers, then no you won't end up with a dependency as fast as if you were out banging H for a few days, but still.. it will happen much faster than a normal person who hasn't been physically addicted in the past.

That's how a lot of former addicts who got sober end up going back to dope. They are clean for a while, have some pain issue, get a script for something and think they can take it like a normal person. Well, soon they end up strung out on them, and go back to dope. Happens all the time, man.

So, so true. My last run I was dopesick after 3 days of use. My reaction ..."WTF?!?!?"

Before it took at least a week of continuous use to feel wd...

Ah...but back when I first started I used for months before I felt that "wake up sick" uh oh...those days are gone forever :(

When to jump

So what is the best time to stop taking suboxone? After how long and what mg will there be least withdrawal.

Suboxone can be very addictive, it isn't supposed to be taken for more than a few days to a week, best in smaller tapering dosages over time.. but it depends on how much you are hooked on in the first place. I've had friends take it to get off dope and then use dope to get back off suboxone... not a good idea but don't overdo the subs. Some people stay on it for years, if you have a prescription let your doc know you are looking to taper off. you can get help with other drugs like benzos to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawal.

Ive ordered Baclofen for AH-7921 withdrawal, im currently tapering and can keep the symptoms low. Though, I have difficulty eat nd I have bad diarrhea. Loperamide doesnt work at all for that even 15 pills didnt. Anyway will the Baclofen help with the taper and when im going to be out of drug ?

Hi guys
Ive been withdrawing from codeine x5 30mg a day. I stopped around 55 hours ago and havent had much withdrawal at all appart from a little restlessness and sweating. Is this normal? I have quit before and it was 10 times worse x

There is no normal with w/d. If thats how its going just be happy and keep living healthy to increase your chance it doesn't get worse. That's a pretty low dose habit, I think you may be in the clear pretty soon. Another 48 and the acute will be most certainly over.

Thank you. I hope so..i just keep eating and drinking to keep my energy up. Fingers crossed. X

Just went from being a several-year lurker of this site to an active poster. I feel like I might be able to help those in this thread looking for some help/hope getting through opiate withdrawal.

First, a bit of history:
I started using opiates regularly (more than once in a while) about 3 years ago. I was 18 at the time. My sister was with this boy who smoked oxycodone and he got her into it. She brought it home and I was more than eager to try it. Needless to say I fell in love immediately. Her and I were a tag-team of mischief, stealing money from our mother, selling/pawning everything we could in order to score. I quickly geared my mind toward being economical and abandoned smoking them immediately in favor of more efficient ROA's. Depending on how much I had I would snort or plug them (and if I had plenty, both at once).
This went on for a several months, but I never actually had access to it enough to be able to develop a tolerance or a physical dependance.

I moved in with a girl I met when I was 19. Her house was pretty much the epitome of a crack house. No power, no hot water, a huge hole in the roof covered by tarp. Her grandmother was a hoarder, her uncle smoked/sold crack and got several prescriptions for narcotics (which he also sold, this is in FL btw). Her mother was unemployed, lazy, and unbeknownst to everyone but me, was buying pills from her brother.
Anyway. At this time I had been on more of a hiatus than usual from opiates, as my previous connect had gone to prison. I was heavy into RC's. Deep into a spice addiction (back then I think it was AM-2201 or something). Taking 2c-e/2c-i on average about every other day when I had it. I hadn't thought about opiates for a while.
I'm gonna pick up the pace on this because I feel I'm being unnecessarily detailed, but I feel like the more I say, the better an idea you have of how thoroughly this shit fucked my life up. Plus I'm on adderall at the moment, and I'm sure you all know how it affects verbosity on the internet.

SO

It wasn't a 3 months before I was using the money I was making in the RC business to buy dilaudid whenever I could. It was way more available to me than before but still not ALL the time. He ran out fairly quickly. Still had never experienced w/d at this point.
Christmas 2011, the day I find out my girlfriend is pregnant. I was on vacation in NJ at the time when she called with the news. The week I was up there was the longest I'd gone without any drugs (including cigarettes) in years. I felt absolutely great (while it lasted).

Fell right back into the routine after I got back to my girl's house. Same old shit. Started dealing with shadier people and getting deeper into opiates. Gaining a bit of a tolerance. Now I needed 12mg of dilaudid to get me where 8 usually did.
In April of 2012, I was robbed/jumped. Won't go into too much detail but after I had been choked out by surprise I woke up on the ground with a broken nose, my eyebrow gashed open (hit the pavement i guess) and one of my front teeth missing. Covered in blood, I stumbled back to the house and sat in the bathroom for 15 minutes trying to think of how I would go upstairs and confront my girl about what had just happened. Ended up just going up there and saying "try not to freak out, but..."
She started crying, we went to the hospital. I got stitches on my head and a prescription for oxycodone 5/325 because the tooth had broken at the root with the nerve exposed (painful as FUCK).

Now I have to say, I was pretty pumped on adrenaline from immediately after it happened until we had arrived at the hospital. It could have been shock, adrenaline, or my tendency to dissociate from traumatic or painful experiences and treat everything with levity, but my girl remarked that I was being extremely cool about the whole thing in a weird way.
Indeed I was, and looking back I think it is because I knew I would be prescribed painkillers at the hospital. I even remember not 5 minutes after I had regained consciousness and noticed my tooth missing that "damn i'm definitely going to get some painkillers for this".

Between the script they gave me in the ER, and the probably 5 or 6 scripts I got before/after dental surgery to get the root removed, and attempt to put in an implant (which failed), I was consistently opiated for at least 1 months. Between refills is when I got the first hints of withdrawal. I didn't like it one bit. I knew my scripts were going to run out soon and had no idea what I would do when that time came, but I didn't think about it consciously because I was occupied trying to not feel sick.
Alas, eventually they ran out and I had to resort back to buying from her uncle. This time I wasn't fucking around. I had a hunger for it like I had never known before. I was willing to go to any lengths to achieve the nihilistic nods and empty thoughts that I loved so much. I think you can guess where this is going. For the last month that I used Dilaudid, I adopted the IV route.
It was the only way I could afford to get as high as I "needed" to get. Pill prices were through the roof, and at $20-25 for 8mg I simply had no choice. I wasn't good at IVing. I shook way too much and could never keep the needle in a vein. Half of the time I had her uncle do it for me.

Mind you, my girl had no idea I was shooting. It was extremely difficult to hide, thus why that didn't last for long. One time she, 7 months pregnant, walked in on him injecting me. I did my whole bullshit about how it was stupid and I'd never do it again. The usual pillhead lies. I didn't mean it. I'd go back and do it again an hour later if I could.

I don't know what caused me to decide to stop shooting/taking pills. I think there still was a shred of aspiration left in me that shone through during a psychedelic trip that made me want to start to get better. I got myself into a methadone clinic in July 2012. That's right, instead of dealing with a week, two weeks of w/d tops, I decided to get on a long-term maintenance program. That's because I didn't really want to quit. I had methadone once before and it got me higher than any other opiate I'd tried.

$14 a day that shit cost me (and by me, i mean my mother). My girl and I moved in with my mother because she was due in August and I was "trying to recover" and there's no way in hell she would let her granddaughter be born and live in that fuck of a house.

Gee, looking back on it I guess I took advantage of my daughter as a way to not get kicked out of my mom's house for bleeding her dry financially. Funny the things you realize with adderall and hindsight.

Anyway, a tad but about the clinic and then I'll fast-forward:

Upon entry, they start you on 30mg your first day. Next day you come in and tell them if you still had w/d symptoms and if so, they raise you 5mg. I did that every day with impunity until I reached 45mg. I didn't need to go above 30. Shit I probably only needed 15 or 20. I was absolutely zonked all day on that shit.

When I reached 45 I started getting out of hand with the sedation. Nodding off basically constantly. Unable to care for my newborn baby unassisted. Still, though, I felt the need to tell the doctor every week that I needed a 10mg increase (to which they obliged without question).

In a matter of months I was up to 140mg. Eventually, as money wore thin, I started having anxiety about what would happen if my mother could not afford my methadone. I had read countless horror stories of methadone withdrawal even WITH a taper. I could not imagine how much worse the methadone w/d would be from 140mg cold turkey. This is when I decided I would start lowering my dose 5mg a week.

So I did. Unfortunately, I had only gotten down to 100mg before we moved to NJ in July 2013. I was planning on setting up a transfer to a clinic up there, but I had procrastinated and was simply unable to do so. This was my stoke of luck. This is the reason I have not touched opiates since July 2013.

A bit of a fast forward, from then till now:

-we get to nj, i am in deep, deep w/d
-i'd drink, steal benzos belonging to my uncle we're staying with, and take DXM to mask the symptoms
-one day i was out of drugs to mask so i rationalized to cut my torso, arms and legs "in order to force out endorphins", (post-dxm binge w/d rationale, eh?)
-after that incident my girlfriend took our daughter and moved out of state to live with her family
-once i am able to walk and function normally i start walking through the woods looking for mushrooms both as a hobby and a way to distract myself. also it was extremely therapeutic and relaxing and I recommend this to anybody that is in w/d. the looking for mushrooms part helped a lot I think because it gave me a goal. a reason to scan my environment carefully and appreciate it all rather than walk around bored and alone.

Mid-late September is when the acute withdrawal subsided. The constant chills/fever, sweats and cramps were behind me. Until November I suffered extreme IBS and the occasional chills/hot flashes. Oh and there was this weird thing where whenever I would start to eat, the under side of my jaw (kind of near my lymph nodes) would light up in sharp stinging pain. it would even happen in anticipation of eating as well.

As of now, I have no recognizable lasting w/d symptoms (9-months later). I am extremely proud of myself for surviving cold-turkey methadone withdrawal and not even giving opiates a second thought. I now associate them with nothing but pain, misery, and death.

Cost me my tooth, my intact nose, i won't even try to calculate how much money (most of it from my mom), my relationship, countless friendships, and most of all my daughter.
I still struggle daily with motivation, self-confidence, and anxiety issues. These were always here before but I feel like they've festered and grown while I was in opiate land. I find it extremely stressful to interact and converse with people.

I'm sorry about this mountain of text, as I'm sure nobody will be THAT interested to read the whole thing, but I feel a lot better after having just typed it out. It's really the first time I've taken the time to sit down, hash it all out and put it into perspective. Plus, perhaps somebody going through withdrawal from classical opiates will read this and realize that 2 weeks of withdrawal is nothing compared to 2-4 months and stick with it rather than getting on methadone.
Really if I can save one person methadone I think my entire life would have had a significant purpose.
Or maybe somebody is on or withdrawing from methadone and could use a reminder that if it's possible to cold turkey from 100mg daily, then it's possible to get off, period.

If anybody has any questions or would just like some support of even a friendly chat, feel free to PM me.

Much love, and good luck,

ArmouredKitten

P.S. if this is too long or inappropriate for this thread, let me know and I will start a new one for Opiate Success Stories or something like that.

Last edited:
That story is amazing armoured. Im on nearly day 4 of codeine withdrawal and i know its not half as bad as what you went through. Its give me strength to keep going on. Well done on 9 months clean. X

If i am on day 6 of withdrawal from codeine and i Slip up and take 60mg of codeine have i set myself Back or should i keep going? It Was a silly mistake and i want to keep going. Just a Moment of weakness. Will it take me Back to square one? X

^ Maybe not square one but it will set you back and prolong wd

If i am on day 6 of withdrawal from codeine and i Slip up and take 60mg of codeine have i set myself Back or should i keep going? It Was a silly mistake and i want to keep going. Just a Moment of weakness. Will it take me Back to square one? X

No it wont set you back to day one. Provided you don't do it again, and keep it to that one 60mg slip up, it is just a minor set back and you can just continue on as you were. But you can't do it again, because then it really will start setting you back in a big way.

Thats some funny $hit! I dont mean to laugh but the way you put it made me laugh..In a way thamks.

Great stuff... truly

Yeah, Bupe was tough to beat but if you want to you'll do it. I quit cold turkey at 6mg a day and am now on 27 days with no suboxone, even though I've taken painkillers a handful of times. Still dealing with nagging PAWS.

FUCKING PAWS.

I'll never look at a kitten and think, oh what cute little paws. I'll look at it and think, FUCKING PAWS, SICK DEADLY PAWS.
That was funny. I hate cats to even funnier>Sorry dont mean to laugh

Ive been taking 8mg/day bupe for the past 3 months or so. I'm afraid that I'm going to run out before my finals are over, and I cant refill my prescription. I have a bunch of tramadol and am wondering if the tramadol will mask/postpone the w.d symptoms.

If I can use tramadol for the w.ds how much should I dose, also will the trams completely get rid of the w.d or just make it less inten

Again I cant refill my script because I cant afford it.
Al I can say is hold on tight. Cut rest of pills or strips into half. Use a little will power too. Also get some sleep aid take in place of using meds it will help extend the doses you have left.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it possible to avoid wd from a 10 day morphine b

I have been taking 100mg morphines (cut to break the time release coating) for around 10 days in a row only in the evening... I have been taking phentermine during the day. ( this is my first time ever even hearing about this drug, but I enjoy adderal to an extent and I prefer phentermine tbh! Which was very surprising after reading all the skaving reviews on this forum.) But I was wondering if I am only using the morphine at night instead of an all out week and a half bing fest is it possible I won't suffer wds? I do know that if I do an all out 2 week 30mg working up to multie 600 mg days I go through 5 days of WD... Not super horrible 5 yrs using WD, but a not very pleasant & literally shitty 5 days....My job is extremely physical & I get so positive about being able to just tough it up when the opiate well runs dry!! I also have been trying to.find an answer to this everywhere with no avail.

I am guessing this is a long shot because they stay on your system 3 days yadda yadda.. I also read it is possible to go three days without any pills before the actual detoxing kicks in the withdrawal system. I had been completely dependant on prescribed methadone and upgraded to morphine for around 5 years before my doctor added Soma which caused me.to_OD twice and lose my job and insurance. Clean for a year and a recreational user for 2 years now.. I have gonr thru very acute withdrawals compared to kicking after 5 yrs. I do know I go 24 hours before WD sets in & it takes me 5 days to feel totally normal.

I'm also a pretty consistent user, but once every month or 2 I am able to get some super inexpensive 100mg and I cannot resist!! I try and keep my consistent usage to a week but the weekend comes and self control & I are mortal enemies.

And if you are going to reply and know the answers to these bonus questions you would be doing me a real solid!!"

* does taking stimulants(adderall or phentermine) and opiates cause stress on the lungs and make it difficult to breath??
[Or am I dying from black mold]

*is there any remedy that is better than the antiDhea pills to stop my intestines from spazzing during WD and nonstop blackneon death. (This is the biggest problem during these minor WD for me.)

*last time I have used too many and dsy for a few daystoo long I took norcos and sstill felt somewhat not the best but when I stopped the norcos I didn't have any wds!! How did that happen!??!

* any restless leg while trying to sleep advice if I do get sick.

* are the intestine / stomach.pain just from lack of going to the bathroom for the week or whatever that you binge?

Last edited:
Restless legs: PREGABALIN bro. Absolutely a life saver and for Me, a 2-300mg dose takes all restlessness away. Many opiate addicts I know pay top dollar for these. for me, this is how effective lyrica(pregabalin) is for opiate withdrawal:

-Takes 80-90% of that horribly anguishing restlessness away.
-Takes 75-90% of that crippling depression away.
-Takes 50% of that horrible feeling of not being able to eat or drink away. Increases my hunger significantly.
-Curbs around 25-30% of my rebound pain I experience during the overall pain sensitivity of opiate WD.

It is honestly a high of its own (Schedule 5 in the U.S.) but tolerance develops rapidly so I only use it to combat opiate WD.

My comfort kings are
Moderately high dose of Lyrica,
Moderate dose of Loperamide.
4-800mg of ibuprofen and around 10mg of my Rx'd Remeron to sleep.

I'm also prescribed 350mg of Soma 2x a day which I swear by to thoroughly knock me out. For me they truly do the job better than benzos. Now, keep in mind I'm not giving you dosage advice here as it is against the rules. Also, Lyrica and Soma are both scheduled meds and more difficult to get prescribed. I would talk to a doctor about Neurontin, Lyricas weaker, unscheduled, but almost as effective little sister. Once the restlessness is cured, a sleep aid such as an antidepressant like Remeron, Trazadone, or Seroquel will help you sleep. UNTIL you can stay still with no restlessness, they will make it WORSE. DEAL with the restlessness first.

If you don't find neurontin or lyrica effective, only a Benzo or a strong centrally acting muscle relaxer like Soma will help. I strongly advise avoiding these at all costs as they are very addictive drugs all on their own. Good luck buddy! Sounds like you have a relatively small habit. I'd take as little as possible and get through it with music :)

Last edited: