• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Bluelight Credited In Scientific Publication on Mephedrone

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
As a result of our ongoing work with research groups and academic institutions around the globe, Bluelight was recently thanked for our assistance in enrolling a recent survey on Mephedrone published in the journal, Neuropsychopharmacology.

Acknowledgements:

We would like to thank Sophie Macken and Will McMahon for their input and support, Bristol Online Surveys for providing an easy-to-use facility to build the survey, and www.drugs-forum.com and www.bluelight.ru for their crucial help in advertising the survey.

Here is the abstract to the actual paper:

----------------------------------------------------

A web-based survey on mephedrone

R.L. Carhart-HarrisCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author, L.A. Kinga and D.J. Nutta

a Imperial College London, Neuropsychopharmacology Unit, United Kingdom
Received 7 November 2010;
revised 3 February 2011;
accepted 12 February 2011.
Available online 21 March 2011.

Background

This study sought to collect information on the former legal-high ‘mephedrone’ using a web-based survey targeted at mephedrone users.
Methods

The survey was advertised on websites frequented by drug users. Individuals were invited to complete the survey if they had taken mephedrone on at least one occasion in the past.
Results

One thousand and six completed forms were received from declared users, making this the largest survey on mephedrone to date.
Conclusion

Results showed that mephedrone users consider its effects to compare best with those of MDMA, and while MDMA was considered marginally safer and its effects more pleasurable, mephedrone's appeal lay in its availability, low price and reliable purity.

Keywords: Mephedrone; MDMA; Ecstasy; Cathinone; Stimulant; Legal high; Drugs; Harms
Article Outline

Introduction

Methods

Results
3.1. Basic and demographic data
3.2. Mephedrone use parameters
3.3. Impact of the ban
3.4. Mephedrone and MDMA
3.5. Negative effects

Discussion

Role of funding source

Contributors

Conflict of interest

Acknowledgements

Appendix A.
Supplementary data

References

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all who participated in the survey hosted in our Drug Studies forum - Mephedrone survey

SG

Last edited by a moderator:
We were cited improperly but they got D-F.com right...now I'm angry :) They were also quoted in front of us....I guess swim wins this round!

I've edited the credit for the sake of accuracy "here," however you're correct -- they did improperly cite us in the actual publication. We'll be taking measure to assure it doesn't happen in the future.

conclusion is about spot on what i'd have said without even doing a survey lol...

at least its in a recognized journal that mephedrone likely won't make you cut your dick off, pity caths are pretty much now in the highest schedules world wide

So we're not just a bunch or druggie buffoons, but a credible source or research data... Onwards and upwards! =D

Media perceptions of who inhabits BL... ask my ex and she'll have me labelled as a drug buffoon faster than you can say 'dissociative abuse' =D

This is pretty cool. We are actually making a difference in the "real" world. Too bad about the .org thing.

P.S. Bluelight does make a difference, but it's to see someone in mainstream society recognize its value.

they asked what the negative effects were in the survey

if they were after a better understanding of why people take mcat why didnt they ask about all effects, positive and negative

Yeah, why didn't they ask about the positive effects? Oh, wait...
What do you like most about mephedrone?
Do you prefer the effects of mephedrone to MDMA?
Is mephedrone your drug of choice, or do/did you choose to use it for other reasons?

I think I remember filling out that survey awhile back. <3

I hope it goes to some good use, seems the general sentiment on mephedrone is that it is the world's worst drug, which is unfortunate because IME it is one of the most magical drugs.

I think the mislabeled/cut mephedrone many people were taking is akin to the bunk E pills out there full of piperazines instead of mdma.

Good quality mephedrone has less side effects for me than caffeine ... and is a hell of a lot more fun. :)

Gosh, now I feel proud this mornin'.
Imunna do a bump of meph to celebrate.

Well done Bluelight. Thanks to the researchers for properly acknowledging the contribution this site makes to research.

(NB we are actually often acknowledged in the 'recruitment' section of the methods parts of papers, but usually not in the acknowledgements section, which is a bit more special :) )