• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

Just letting everyone know that so far every public Florida university has a background question on their application. For the first one I am answering it honestly and giving them all requested court documents as well as a personal statement explaining the convictions. This may be stupid but considering how insanely easy it is to dig up information these days, I thought It might be smart to explain my story as evidence of my ability to overcome and desire to achieve. If i don't get in then I do plan to lie on the next one. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

it's nonsensical to think that there are careers which absolutely do test and careers which don't. some employers in some market segments test, others don't.

is drug use so important to you that you'll make a career decision around it?

alasdair

Yeah, it seems more plausible to go after a job that you would love and just work your use around that instead of just looking for a career that doesn't test you. Like alasdair said, it doesn't really depend on the career but the employer. I've had a few different jobs and never had to take a drug test, but I've never been involved in any accidents or anything either.

My brother did Process Plant Technology which I'm currently doing too until I finsih my chemE degree. He made 85 k last year with overtime and turnaround shifts. Moreover, you get paid 2x if you work holidays. They only drug test you once (his 3 different employers and from ppl I know working in plants confirmed this) when you get hired and after that as long as you pass OSHA standards, stay safe, and don't have really obvious track marks you probably will never get tested again. My brother actually smokes pot here and there and that stays in your system pretty long.

But like I said, the classes are easy and it's only a 2 year program. You usually start out at 15/hr but quickly get raises and you work shift work like 4 on 4 off so you basically get overtime every other week. He's been doing it for 5 years and right now at his new job he's making 29.75 an hour, so the bank is definately there. I would highly recommend that, not just cause I'm doing it. Like I said I'm focused on chemE but it's a really easy program with tons of jobs and great pay and you never get tested except the beginning.

If you think you may be interested in it I would look into it. There's also power plant technology and renewable resources tech, and of course nuclear power. Hope this helped :)

EDIT: I can not guarentee that every plant in the U.S tests only once, but I know of literally 9 that don't spread out across 4 states. I'm sure the big time nuclear plants may but if you are safe and have good reviews it's just a waste of yours and their time..

start your own business like i did(although i'm on probation so i'm still drug tested:().

Most careers don't drug test. They may say they do but they don't or they do so extremely rarely. Even cops basically have no fear of being drug tested.

All the jobs I've had that have tested the bosses have been cool enough to give employees a few days notice before a test. If you can't get a piss clean kit in said amount of time and get a clean result..

Bump.....

Wondering the same thing...The college app part?

How did it work out for you?

Silverman thanks for the update. I came across forum because I was looking up financial aid availability for drug charges and I am inspired by your story.

I have graduated from a uni with a bba and finished certification to teach in my state. I had been cited for a misdemeanor (possession of cannabis) a bit before starting work 4 years ago and luckily had the charge dropped.

Fast forward to February of this year I got arrested on a faithful Tuesday for possession. This time I was already working as an educator and it was a felony I was facing. Also possession of cannabis. The arrest made local news and I was forced to resign due to the publicity. My teaching license has not been revoked yet but it pending further reviewal. I am in a dark place right now. My life has been turned upside down because of this.

I had always toyed with the idea of attending law school. Now i think i want to more than ever, but i dont see how if they dont grant me the opportunity to prove myself. I know i have committed the biggest mistake of my life, but i am looking forward to a second chance and helping out my fellow human beings.

Being in jail for 14 hours and realizing how they give no opportunity to this fellow jail mates to reform gave me the cringes. All most people jailed talked about was how to do it better and bigger next time. I know some of them were hard felons, but what happened to believing in people and getting them ready to survive in society. If we don't try educating them, they will end up in the same place wasting tax money and creating a burden on society.

My only crime has been possession of an illegal herb. I swear I am the type of person I would never even hurt an ant. I have devoted my life to helping out my fellow man and now want a second chance.

Sorry, for venting in this one thread. Nevertheless, Silverman good luck in your bright future.

Possession of marijuana should not be an indictable offense.

Gosh, this sounds like all the thoughts going through my head....leading up to GED, leading up to technical college with multiple drug charges, leading up to university transfer for BS in psychology/biology, leading up to grad school for my MS in a health related field. I found out early on that many schools look back 5 or 7 years. I realized that some people only look back so far when I was trying to get an apartment. Once I found out I was able to attend, I had the national/state licence/registration boards to see if my charges would affect my ability to practice. I sent them the documentation of my charges and was cleared to start. Many places are just concerned about crimes of a violent or sexual nature.

I wish you the best of luck at the school you chose. With the economy the way it is, there are many non-traditional students. Then again, I was the only person who I knew of in my graduating class that was a convicted high school drop out hahahahaaa.

I have a big criminal record, All mostly assaults, assault with a weapon, breach of brobation, roberry, armed roberry, mischeif, auto theif, one time I had a 12-guage gun pointed at a cops face and few where on me, those cops where soppose to pull there trigger but they froze, We both almost got our heads bownoff, I was ready to die that night.
But i did see the light at the end of the tunnel, So i plead my guilt and did my time after i got out took me awile to adjust to life.
After i got out from my long criminal career i told myself to quit and it was'nt the life i wanted.
So I found a beautiful wife have 5 beautiful kids now and a whole new life witch is too beautiful.
I been good to society for the last 5 years now between that time i've got charged with a few minor assaults but they all got dropped.
BUT still i've never had a job (unsecessful there).
Although i am in college working on business, few more weeks to go untill get my dapolma, Once i'm done i well continue working on business to a highier level. and i am on a list once i get my daploma to get me a **Certifired Accountant** So yeah there is hope for criminals to be secessful..
NOTE:
Dont ever let red flags put you down, there is always another place that you can get hired, once you get a job keep it for longtime to build up a building block that you be known to get up there. ( I wanted to do PSW but i well get red flagged so i am doing full time business in college)

Good Luck my fellow criminals!!

Last edited:
I do not know you in RL, but I am very proud of yourself. My story with needles is pretty much the same, it took 5 times the time to fix than to break but that's how is life...

just don't fuck it again :D
good luck !

I was convicted of a felony, but was able to get employed. I know how it feels getting the door slammed in your face a million times. I used this website. Felonyhire.com They specialize in arranging job sources that are felony friendly.