• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

When I worked in retail the managers were salaried at like 50k-60k. It may have been because she was in the company forever but that's wha she was salaried at.

Generally speaking they don't drug test for retail. At least not from my experience.

What type of careers are available that do not drug test? I'm a college student right now with great grades, so I can pretty much go into whatever field I want. I'm not really interested in any career, but I know I want to earn a nice about of money, no less than $50,000 a year. I love drugs and would not give them up for a job, unless I was earning $80,000+ a year, and I would only do that for a few years to save up and get ahead. I'm definitely not addicted to anything and can easily refrain from drugs for any amount of time, but I find that using them responsibly really enhances my quality of life and I would not give up that part of my life for a career. Passing a drug test to get a job is no problem. So what types of careers do you guys know of that do not drug test regularly? Your answers will greatly help by providing direction. I need to know what kinds of careers to investigate. Thanks. ;)

Stripping.

Lots of technical jobs (computers, software, engineering, ect) don't test, or at least not often.

Things to look out for: if the company does a lot of federally funded work they may have federal testing requirements. I am currently working in the office of a construction company and they do test... Quite often.

Also operating heavy machinery (including a company car), that's a liability.

warrant/freaking out

so. i was recently hired by a fast food/bar place and my warrant wasn't an issue. i couldn't deal with all the fucking people, though. i quit during training because i knew i was too crazy to handle it.
i now have an interview for a higher paying switchboard operator job soon, and i started freaking out about the warrant. what if only super shitty jobs don't care about warrants? then i read online that warrants don't show up, only actual convictions?

anyone get a job with a warrant?

(it's for a misdemeanor and i know i have to take care of it, but that's an issue for another time.)

I think you're fine until they catch you.

I have warrants in states I'll never go to again. Is this for the same state?

Dangerously close to legal discussion though and this may be closed.

it's in the same state, but different city.

the thing is i was already hired with it. i'm now just freaking out because the job is more important to me, as its less with the public and also higher paying. something i could actually do.

so in my defense mods, i am not asking for any legal advise about the warrant. i'm asking about jobs procured with them.

i mean, it's not as if i'm going into child care or a REALLY good job here. it's just above what i was doing before.

AFAIK only convictions are public record, I'm no lawyer though. But speaking of lawyers, when you get that job and get a paycheck or two in (or sooner if you already have enough money), you need to contact a lawyer and have them take care of that warrant business for you. Seriously, all it takes is one traffic stop to go to jail, which will probably get you fired when you can't show up for work because you're sitting in county playing dominoes with a dude named Shurwayne.

yeah, i figured i could finally take care of it with the income too. indeed, indeed. luckily i don't drive, so that takes away that one possibility that seems to get a lot of people.

It's a good thing you don't drive. That's how they get you is pulling you over and they run a check.

My brother in law just got stopped last week. My sister and him have been divorced a couple years but the tags were in both their names.
The cop wanted to make sure it wasn't her driving. She moved to Miami and takes the bus when she needs to go someplace.

To answer your question, employers ask if you have ever been convicted of a felony. So if you havn't the answer would be no.

Last edited:
Pretty much what T.Calderone said. Employers generally ask whether you have been convicted of a felony. In an employment-type situation, I would likely ask for more information than that as I wouldn't want a valuable employee to have to miss work for being pulled in over a broken taillight and then a bench warrant found. I would want that cleared up before I hired the person.

I don't have any warrants, so no personal advice - you already know you need to take care of it, and as long as you didn't lie on the job application, no reason to freak out. Best to you in your new job.

To answer your question, employers ask if you have ever been convicted of a felony. So if you havn't the answer would be no.

Actually, it depends on the employer. Some places ask about misdemeanors. I may have even seen one that asked about warrants.

In most cases like this, honesty is usually the best policy. But only answer the specific question(s) they ask. Don't volunteer the information if they don't ask for it.

i got my current job with multiple court dates, i know its different than a warrant, but you think itd show up. Mine were also misdemeanors

i filled out paperwork with my SS and they never said anything.

hey man.. i have a warrant to, i cant stop thinking about it either. if i get pulled over *knock on wood, they tow my car and i go to jail, then im fucked.
i've even changed my name tag one night walking out to my car because there was a cop sitting in the parking lot.

i know most places do background checks, like good paying jobs. other places might do it, but i think you have to agree? or sign something saying that they can do a background check on you.

if you refuse to sign for a background check that would set off enough signals as it is ^

You're right Jerry because I just applied online for a job in Miami that asked about felony convictions and misdemeanors. Then it asked you to explain the charges as to what they were, when and status of. Yeah, so I guess I won't be hearing from them. :(

If you're employed legally, couldn't the cops just run your social security number and find out where you're employed? If you were in a different state it wouldn't matter but because you're in the same state as the warrant the cops could use your employment to find you.

I don't know how it works where you are though. Where I am, they do this.

If you're employed legally, couldn't the cops just run your social security number and find out where you're employed? If you were in a different state it wouldn't matter but because you're in the same state as the warrant the cops could use your employment to find you.

I don't know how it works where you are though. Where I am, they do this.

They could but its rare. Generally its an equation of resources if they really want you they WILL find you but usually thy are content to chill and let you come to them through normal police contact

Is drug testing in the workplace an american thing? I've never come across it here in the UK...

Yes. Well, it's a United States thing because I'm in Canada and this sort of practice is unheard of. What people do on their own time is their business, and certainly none of your employer's. Even the thought of such a thing is absurd. It must be a by-product of their silly war on drugs.