Bluelight

Thread: Careers that don't drug test

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Careers that don't drug test 
    What type of careers are available that do not drug test? I'm a college student right now with great grades, so I can pretty much go into whatever field I want. I'm not really interested in any career, but I know I want to earn a nice about of money, no less than $50,000 a year. I love drugs and would not give them up for a job, unless I was earning $80,000+ a year, and I would only do that for a few years to save up and get ahead. I'm definitely not addicted to anything and can easily refrain from drugs for any amount of time, but I find that using them responsibly really enhances my quality of life and I would not give up that part of my life for a career. Passing a drug test to get a job is no problem. So what types of careers do you guys know of that do not drug test regularly? Your answers will greatly help by providing direction. I need to know what kinds of careers to investigate. Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

Education and Careers
    Rather than a bunch of us taking shots in the dark, why don't you post a list of potential careers you may be interested in and we can help you narrow them down.

Also, what are you studying in college? What are your interests?

In my experience, many jobs will drug test you upon hire and won't test you again unless you are injured, injure someone, or break something. Then again, those were usually retail-type jobs. I am aware of some government jobs that drug test once a month. Like I said above, give us some more info and we'll be able to better help you.

3. Collapse Details

Jerry Atrick- hahaha, one of my friends calls me that. Basically I'm in community college right now just taking care of general education requirements. I have not committed myself to any major. Really I can't say what I would be interested in for a career, except that I want to do something promising like for example nursing. I don't know if I'd even enjoy that, but I'm just trying to relate that some careers are in demand and will be in demand 10 years from now. I have worked retail before but that it not my cup of tea, and I think I also need to avoid desk type jobs. One of my goals is to start my own business from home, but I want to get into some real work first, to fund my business and to have financial security. I enjoy science related things, and I'm thinking I might get into a medical related profession because there seem to be a lot of related jobs that are promising.

4. Collapse Details

With the growing concern of drug use there is a growing amount of drug tests. I worked at a rinky dink greenhouse last spring and even they tested

Also your not addicted but your not willing to give up getting high for your career? Hmm

AND you want to make more than 50k a year? HA!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmans_BrothEr View Post
    With the growing concern of drug use there is a growing amount of drug tests. I worked at a rinky dink greenhouse last spring and even they tested

Also your not addicted but your not willing to give up getting high for your career? Hmm

AND you want to make more than 50k a year? HA!
    That's damn right! I'm gonna do it. That I promise you.

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I like to think of it as what cannot be tested for.

7. Collapse Details

Become a stripper or grow marijuana for medical dispenseries.

8. Collapse Details

You guys realize that there are normal jobs out there that pay well and do not drug test, right? One off the top of my head is a teacher.

9. Collapse Details

Almost any corporate restaurant manager jobs. Salaried managers at quick serve restaurants i.e. Chipotle/ Tokyo Joe's/ Noodles & Co/ Panera Bread typically make 40-50K. More upscale dining can pay much more. All manner of drug users and alcoholics get these jobs.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Toast to the Spirits View Post
    You guys realize that there are normal jobs out there that pay well and do not drug test, right? One off the top of my head is a teacher.
    No, teachers around where I live get drug tested.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysblazed View Post
    No, teachers around where I live get drug tested.
    Where do you live? Here in California that's almost unheard of.

12. Collapse Details

I live in new jersey and from working in a restaurant to a school and everything in-between you have to be DT'd

Except pizza delivery guys

But shit man I mean a lot of the time you only have to pass one at beginning of employment, you really couldn't clean up for a few weeks? Or get a detox drink even

13. Collapse Details

Like I said before, I have no problem passing a drug test to get a job. In fact, 90% of the time I can pass a drug test without even preparing for one. That's how often I use drugs. I just want to be a free man once I get a job, and not have to worry about some unexpected invasive bullshit.

14. Collapse Details

You should become a doctor or a lawyer and make a shitload of money. Think 120K+/ year.

it really depends what you are good at. Do you have a knack for finance and business? Human services? Physics, math and science? Art and design? Give us something to work with.

I can think of a wide range of jobs.
    Math Analyst 70k+
    IT Consultant 40-80k
    University Professor 50k+
    Architectural/ Engineering Drafter 50k+
    Artist 0-500k+

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I like to think of it as what cannot be tested for.
    politician...self employed.....bartender (most dont)...musician.....some factories even.but i found my boss and crew tokin up and was let go cuz i mouthed off then sent email about them and never heard a thing after fired....reported injury 2x and nada just told im not respectful..and leave....any chance of a lawsuit??? btw at will hire and they said i was late but no time clock...i also made more $ than boss..no help with moving heavy stuff when i said at hire i was a pain patient w/restriction on weight...they just watched me struggle and looked mad when i asked for help (took 3 of them to do lift)

16. Collapse Details

Academia

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by veggies View Post
    Academia
    winner.

and like everyone else has said, most companies only test you once when you're hired.

18. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Director of Public Relations
    it's nonsensical to think that there are careers which absolutely do test and careers which don't. some employers in some market segments test, others don't.

is drug use so important to you that you'll make a career decision around it?

alasdair

19. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Film and Television
    Trip Reports
    Current Events & Politics
    Yeah, it seems more plausible to go after a job that you would love and just work your use around that instead of just looking for a career that doesn't test you. Like alasdair said, it doesn't really depend on the career but the employer. I've had a few different jobs and never had to take a drug test, but I've never been involved in any accidents or anything either.

20. Collapse Details

My brother did Process Plant Technology which I'm currently doing too until I finsih my chemE degree. He made 85 k last year with overtime and turnaround shifts. Moreover, you get paid 2x if you work holidays. They only drug test you once (his 3 different employers and from ppl I know working in plants confirmed this) when you get hired and after that as long as you pass OSHA standards, stay safe, and don't have really obvious track marks you probably will never get tested again. My brother actually smokes pot here and there and that stays in your system pretty long.

But like I said, the classes are easy and it's only a 2 year program. You usually start out at 15/hr but quickly get raises and you work shift work like 4 on 4 off so you basically get overtime every other week. He's been doing it for 5 years and right now at his new job he's making 29.75 an hour, so the bank is definately there. I would highly recommend that, not just cause I'm doing it. Like I said I'm focused on chemE but it's a really easy program with tons of jobs and great pay and you never get tested except the beginning.

If you think you may be interested in it I would look into it. There's also power plant technology and renewable resources tech, and of course nuclear power. Hope this helped

EDIT: I can not guarentee that every plant in the U.S tests only once, but I know of literally 9 that don't spread out across 4 states. I'm sure the big time nuclear plants may but if you are safe and have good reviews it's just a waste of yours and their time..

21. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    start your own business like i did(although i'm on probation so i'm still drug tested).

22. Collapse Details

Sex, Love & Relationships
    Research?
    Engineering?
    Computer science / programming?

23. Collapse Details

Most careers don't drug test. They may say they do but they don't or they do so extremely rarely. Even cops basically have no fear of being drug tested.

All the jobs I've had that have tested the bosses have been cool enough to give employees a few days notice before a test. If you can't get a piss clean kit in said amount of time and get a clean result..

24. Collapse Details

the best way i can think of is to do something like software development/computer programming/IT stuff, and simply work for a company like google or any number of other websites. you can make a decent living off of it, work from home, and never get tested.

25. Collapse Details

When I worked in retail the managers were salaried at like 50k-60k. It may have been because she was in the company forever but that's wha she was salaried at.

Generally speaking they don't drug test for retail. At least not from my experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast