• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ann and Sasha Shulgin Need Our Help

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hello Friends,

As some of you may already know, Dr. Alexander (Sasha) Shulgin, the "Godfather of Ecstasy," and his wife Ann have fallen on very difficult times.

Sasha has suffered from cardiovascular disease for some time now, and recently survived a stroke in 2010. He continues to struggle with various other serious health issues, including a non-healing wound which may ultimately result in the amputation of his leg. Fortunately, Sasha has done well considering the gravity of his condition, however, the family has been overwhelmed by the countless medical bills that have piled up over the years.

Unbeknownst to many, Ann and Sasha are far from wealthy. Despite book sales, having a documentary produced on Sasha's life (for which he received no payment), living simply and his "celebrity" status in the psychedelic subculture, Anne and Sasha have exhausted their savings and are presently in dire straights. Please see Sasha's Carebridge site here and read Ann's own account of their situation:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/shura

Considering Bluelight's intrinsic link to Dr. Shulgin and his life's work, I would like to propose that each of us do what we can to assist Anne and Sasha in their time of need. A Paypal donation site is set up, and our friends at Erowid have also enabled a tax-free pass through via their 501(c)(3) status. You may make a Paypal donation to Anne and Sasha here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=34HNMNU387EXA

I understand that many of you have have questions regarding Ann and Sasha's need, and that is understandable. In order to shed light on their situation, I thought the following Q & A provided by Ann would be useful to some:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Doesn’t Medicare cover Sasha’s medical bills?

A: Medicare covers 80%, which is wonderful, but many of the procedures Sasha has had to undergo have been very expensive and we have to pay the remaining 20% of the bill. Also, at this time, Sasha needs round-the-clock care, which Medicare does not cover.

Q: Didn’t Sasha work for Big Pharma and get a pension from them?

A: No. Sasha worked for Dow Chemical Company at the beginning of his career, but only for a few years – not long enough to earn a pension. He set up his own private lab after leaving Dow, and worked independently from then on, as a consultant and lecturer in chemistry.

Q: Didn’t Sasha work for the US government at one time?

A: No, never. He was a consultant to the DEA, among other institutions, but never employed by them.

More info from Ann:

Oh, yes. I should write a brief note about some questions people have asked, over the months.

1. My children can't help with funds because they have no extra money, themselves. In fact, I often send a bit of extra to one or two of them who happen to be having trouble. None of my children have ever asked me for money, and they all work very hard at their jobs. They are all four exceptional human beings, compassionate, bright, creative and wonderful parents to my eight grandchildren. I'm immensely proud of them all. No, they can't possibly manage $480 per 24 hours -- plus.

2. Yes, my husband and I have had a documentary film made about us -- and several other people we know. It will be out on DVD soon. This year, anyway. And -- PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: People who are subjects of documentaries do not get paid. THEY DO NOT GET PAID ANYTHING AT ALL. When Sasha and I were asked to go to the various film festivals at which "our" film was shown (The title is "Dirty Pictures"), we had to pay our own way by air. We did get some help from a nice admirer to stay in a very gorgeous apartment in Telluride, Colorado. The maker of the film, Etienne Sauret, has become a beloved friend, but he can't afford to pay us anything at all, since documentaries don't make much money even when they are award-winners, while the cost of making them is huge. We could only afford to go to a few festivals, and that was quite an experience, but such trips are now impossible. Sasha can't travel without caregivers, of course, so we enjoy the memories of the adventures we did have, and let it go at that.

3. Could we sell some of our land? Yes, we're trying. We had a beautiful parcel on the market a year ago, and nobody looked at it. The economy had tanked. Recently, a good broker in town said, "Try next year. There's no point in putting it out there right now. Wait a year or so." I think he's right.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that my life has been deeply enriched by Dr. Shulgin's many contributions to the world, and I believe most Bluelighters would agree. I hope that you will reflect on the impact Dr. Shulgin has had on your own life, and join me in helping our community give back to someone who has already given us so much.

Thank you,

SG

Alexander-Shulgin-007.jpg

A massive thank you to all of you. I'll be forwarding a link to this page on to Ann and Sasha, I'm sure they will appreciate it. :)

Ravemau5, we understand that many may not be in a position to help. That being said, I am sure that any amount, as insignificant as it may seem, would be appreciated by the Shulgins.

Levictus, if you are not able to use Paypal, I believe you may use a credit car or mail a donation to Erowid, earmarking it for "ANN + SASHA SHULGIN." See here:

http://www.erowid.org/donations/donations_international.php

International Donations
In order to assist in making Erowid an internationally-supported organization, memberships levels are the same for everyone regardless of where they are in the world. We know that even $30 can be expensive in many countries. However, if you are capable, please consider adding $5 or $10 to student and basic level memberships to cover higher shipping costs of gifts.

Credit Cards
International memberships and donations made by credit card can be handled through our regular donation system.

Money Orders (or Cash)
International memberships and donations made by money order (or cash) can also be handled through our normal donation system. Calculate the correct exchange rate (see below) before making your donation and make sure to select the "Donate by Check or Money Order" option which will provide instructions for sending in a donation through the mail.

International money orders -- available through most major banks -- can be made out to "Erowid". Some people choose to send cash in the mail. We do accept such donations, but this is obviously an insecure method. We cannot be responsible for cash donations which are lost in the mail.

Exchange Rates
For donations paid in foreign currencies, please follow these instructions

Determine the correct exchange rate for the membership or donation value you would like to give. Visit the yahoo currency converter and enter the value in U.S. dollars that you would like to give and the foreign currency you will be using.

Please add a small amount (5%) to the total to cover exchange fees and fluctuations in exchange rates.

Follow the standard donation process, choosing "Donate by Check or Money Order" when asked to choose a payment method.

If you have questions about international donations, please let us know.

I am in the US but would prefer to send a check rather than use Paypal. Is it best to mail it to Erowid and put in the memo line "Sasha and Ann Shulgin" or should the check be mailed out directly to the address c/o Transform Press in Berkeley and made out directly to "Sasha and Ann Shulgin"?

I'd like to tuck the check into a card sending my best wishes if possible. What's the best way?

Thanks for any answers you may have, SG.

Mariposa, please send your check and card to:

Sasha Shulgin
c/o Transform Press,
PO Box 13675,
Berkeley, CA 94712

Thank you Dr. Shuglin. I wish you and Ann well. Donation sent.

just donated, if I order a copy of the Shulgin Index from amazon I wonder if they would get the proceeds from that anytime soon?

will keep them both in my thoughts <3

Done.

I hope there's a lawyer in the entheogenic community who has/will step up to the plate and help negotiate those medical bills. They can make a big difference

How about a bay area fund raiser with a screening of dirty pictures?

Ann and Sasha, you'll be in my prayers. Stay strong and carry on.

damn I wish I was in a position to donate something right now. I hope everything works out <3

just donated, if I order a copy of the Shulgin Index from amazon I wonder if they would get the proceeds from that anytime soon?

will keep them both in my thoughts <3

Please, order it from erowid to ensure the maximum amount gets passed through to their family.

Thanks to all who give what they can.

Keep this guy going. It is going to be a very, very, sad day to see this man die. Let's hope we can give him many more happy years to come!