• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos which benzo is the highest risk for addiction/ safest benzo

38slug

Bluelighter
i am interested to see if anyone has any information on which benzos are more likely to lead to habit forming behavior and which may be less potent?/ likley to lead you addiction +eventual abuse

i would say that both long acting and short acting benzos have their abilities to cause addiction..
short acting- you re-dose or get the urge to re-dose often, which can lead to mental and or physical addiction..
long acting- they are in your system longer so even if you only take one a day it is still in your system when you dose the next day so you constantly have benzos in you so your body can become adjusted to that and that can cause a physical and or mental addiction (sometimes they last long enough that even if you skip a day in between doses they are still in your system)

You can use google to find what benzos have highest addiction ratings.
We aren't here to do *all* the work for you, we just give a little help.

IME short-acting benzos are more addictive than intermediate/long-acting benzos. Nonbenzos are even more addictive imo

Alprazolam is very fiendish, since it wears off so fast and leaves you wanting more... Whereas long-acting benzos like diazepam and clonazepam pack less of a punch but are more satisfying overall, as the array of effects linger on a bit and there's no abrupt come up or crash like on short-acting benzos

YMMV

Highest risk: Xanax.

Lowest risk/safest benzo: Librium.

Just my opinion based on my experience.

Lorazepam, alprazolam and clonazepam are the most addictive ones I've tried. Not in that order, Alprazolam (Xanax) is the most fiendish for sure, and its the shortest acting. I find clonazepam to be the most recreational.

The truth is, all benzos are eventually habit forming...

According to an Australian study by Dark, Ross, and Hall et al:

Darke, Ross & Hall et al. found that benzodiazepines were rated extremely high by drug abusers, rating flunitrazepam, diazepam, temazepam, and nimetazepam the highest of all. The two most common reasons for these preferences were that they were the ‘strongest’ and that it gave a good ‘high’.

Overall, anecdotal evidence suggests that temazepam may be the most psychologically habit-forming (addictive) benzodiazepine. Temazepam abuse reached epidemic proportions in some parts of the world, particularly in Europe, Australia, and it is a major drug of abuse in many Southeast Asian countries. This level of diversion, trafficking, and abuse has not ever been seen with any other benzodiazepine, besides nimetazepam. This lead authorities of various countries to place temazepam under a more restrictive legal status. Some countries banned the drug outright (i.e. Sweden). Temazepam also has certain pharmacokinetic properties of absorption, distribution, elimination, and clearance that make it more apt to abuse compared to many other benzodiazepines. Different benzodiazepines have different abuse potential; the more rapid the increase in the plasma level following ingestion, the greater the intoxicating effect and the more open to abuse the drug becomes. The speed of onset of action of a particular benzodiazepine correlates well with the ‘popularity’ of that drug for abuse. Temazepam is the most rapidly absorbed and fastest acting benzodiazepine according to a British study, which gives more credence to temazepam being the most addictive benzodiazepine.

I dont think they have done enough studying on the various substances seized by customs worldwide. I remember seen an study from European Unions drug commission that the most commonly seized drug was diazepam and the second was alprazolam. Also the study noted that most widely available drug on streets were diazepam.

I would love to see what Darke et al. have behind their thoughts of about temazepam being most trafficked and widely abused benzodiazepine.

In Finland they prescribe temazepam more easier than diazepam even that it is more addicting and causes more severe withdrawals.

I find clonazepam to be the most recreational.

Same here. It's the only benzo that feels a bit narcotic to me.. almost tipsy, and since it kills my anxiety for a long time, i like it the most

Alprazolam and lorazepam don't last long enough for me to feel any kind of euphoria unless i take a few mgs each, which is usually pointless if i want to be functional..especially on lorazepam 8)

Diazepam is one of the most therapeutic and imo, safest and effective. Among the classical benzodiazepines, it's the least addictive to me. I'd prefer it over clonazepam if there were a 20mg diazepam tablet or something, as 10mg is a bit too weak for me even without tolerance and i don't want to mess with multiple pills a day anymore

Something like flurazepam should be in the low(er) risk category as it is a partial agonist, altho i haven't tried it myself to confirm that

I dont think they have done enough studying on the various substances seized by customs worldwide. I remember seen an study from European Unions drug commission that the most commonly seized drug was diazepam and the second was alprazolam. Also the study noted that most widely available drug on streets were diazepam.

I would love to see what Darke et al. have behind their thoughts of about temazepam being most trafficked and widely abused benzodiazepine.

In Finland they prescribe temazepam more easier than diazepam even that it is more addicting and causes more severe withdrawals.

I don't know where you get your information from, but according to this international report a total of 2.75 million temazepam capsules were seized in the Netherlands by authorities between 1996 and 1999. Furthermore, as a result of laws placing temazepam in more restrictive drug schedules and a lower prescription rate for the drug in Europe, temazepam has been illicitly manufactured in clandestine laboratories (called jellie labs) to supply the increasingly high demand for the hypnotic drug. Nine temazepam seizures (which were en route to Western Europe), equalling 1,430,231 of the banned "jelly" capsules, between July and December 2005 were recorded in Turkey.

Diazepam is the most widely prescribed benzodiazepine worldwide. Temazepam prescriptions in Europe have dropped dramatically due to it being placed in more restrictive drug schedules/classes. Temazepam addiction was an epidemic in the '80's and '90's across Europe. Some countries banned it. Deaths were a common thing with temazepam, especially in the UK back in temazepam's epidemic days. They obviously got a handle on things and the situation is nowhere as bad as it was.

Last edited:
I know that during mid and late nineties temazepam was a major abused drug but nowadays it is not really that usual anymore. Buying drugs have moved to Internet from streets when it comes benzos etc recreationally used prescription drugs and the most available and asked benzos seem to be diazepam or alprazolam. Just look at the offers they have on the sites. They offer even bags of 1 000 diazepam pills at once. Temazepam is rarely available on legal looking blisters at all. Instead it is available on few vendors as a bath tub made capsules.

Some sites even have top sellers list and temazepam is never on those lists. Instead it is diazepam and alprazolam from varying legit or illegit vendors or counterfeited Roche Valiums.

And temazepam is rarely discussed on boards like this or boards about buying prescription drugs online. More likely there will be discussion about diazepam and alprazolam usage now.

I know that during mid and late nineties temazepam was a major abused drug but nowadays it is not really that usual anymore. Buying drugs have moved to Internet from streets when it comes benzos etc recreationally used prescription drugs and the most available and asked benzos seem to be diazepam or alprazolam. Just look at the offers they have on the sites. They offer even bags of 1 000 diazepam pills at once. Temazepam is rarely available on legal looking blisters at all. Instead it is available on few vendors as a bath tub made capsules.

Some sites even have top sellers list and temazepam is never on those lists. Instead it is diazepam and alprazolam from varying legit or illegit vendors or counterfeited Roche Valiums.

And temazepam is rarely discussed on boards like this or boards about buying prescription drugs online. More likely there will be discussion about diazepam and alprazolam usage now.

That's because they are looking for American buyers - alprazolam is the most popular benzodiazepine here and the most widely prescribed by far.

Plus, under International law (the Convention on Psychotropic Substances) temazepam is a Schedule III, along with nimetazepam and flunitrazepam. All the rest of the benzos, with the exception of the 3 above are all Schedule IV. So they are much easier to sell online. Convention on Psychotropic Substances.

The Convention on Psychotropic Substances is a United Nations treaty designed to control psychoactive drugs such as amphetamines, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, and psychedelics signed at Vienna on February 21, 1971.

I think that they are all high risk for addiction if you are taking them for fun, although I do agree that the shorter acting ones do have a much higher risk.

Surprised noone has mentioned Midazolam as it is the only benzo that I know of that you can snort too.

Are counterfeited Roche Valiums in blister packs, clearly labelled as Roche diazepam?

I'm hoping someone isn't making a perfect pill press of a drug that costs under $.10 US/mg, and going to the trouble of blistering it.

That's because they are looking for American buyers - alprazolam is the most popular benzodiazepine here and the most widely prescribed by far.

Exactly. Most of my friends who use benzodiazepines love alprazolam, and even though I know they would most likely love temazepam even more, they've never even heard of it because of how rare it is in the United States.

Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan and Valium are the four most commonly prescribed benzos in the United States, IIRC.

Exactly. Most of my friends who use benzodiazepines love alprazolam, and even though I know they would most likely love temazepam even more, they've never even heard of it because of how rare it is in the United States.

Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan and Valium are the four most commonly prescribed benzos in the United States, IIRC.

It's not just that, those vendors overseas are looking for American customers and they know alprazolam is an American favorite. It's the same in Canada, although in Canada, clonazepam seems to have the lead with lorazepam, nitrazepam, and alprazolam coming in next in that order.

Temazepam has international restrictions on it that will not allow it be sold by internet vendors.

Are counterfeited Roche Valiums in blister packs, clearly labelled as Roche diazepam?

I'm hoping someone isn't making a perfect pill press of a drug that costs under $.10 US/mg, and going to the trouble of blistering it.

There have been a lot of discussion about Pakistan made Roche Valiums. Nearly all of the blistered counterfeits have an expirary date printed on them instead embossing and the foil strips off too easily when pushing down the pill.

Ativan blows. Took 5 mg and didn't feel shit. Waste of a benzo of you are using it for recreational purposes. Xanax and Klonpin are great. I do agree that the 10mg Valium is too weak as I had to take more benzos to feel it. Once combined with a mg of Xanax, the best benzo hi I have ever had.

We've (Bluelight) had this conversation many many times. Ativan works very well for some people, and its an effective anti-anxiety drug and just because its not recreational doesn't mean it's not a good benzo or that its not addictive.

The way any one benzodiazepine effects a person will vary depending on who the person is.

With this being said I would say the most addictive are IV midazolam, temazepam, alprazolam, triazolam. These are the most prone to form a benzo addiction, especially one where you may not be able to "switch over" to another benzo to taper off.

For instance, if you develop a small pattern with alprazolam, to where you're not using more than 2-3 milligrams per day, you should be able to taper off with diazepam or lorazepam.

If you've been abusing triazolam into the multiple-milligrams-per day range (greater than 3mg per day), or you've been taking temazepam in the hundreds-of-milligrams per day range, you're likely not going to get much out of switching over to lorazepam or diazepam.

I think that specifically triazolam has a tendency to form this sort of effect.

Does a similar level exist with opiates? Likely, yes, although I have never gotten to such a level, there is an archived Other Drugs post where a user recants about their fentanyl addiction, and explains how other opiates (oxymorphone, heroin) didn't even come close - at any dosage - at removing the depression they experienced from opiate withdrawal, and only more fentanyl could reduce it. - This is what leads me to believe the super-potent benzodiazepines/opiates have a tendency, at a large degree of abuse, to cause the user to be totally desensitized to weaker benzos/opiates, respectively.

I did not feel the effect of anxiety relief from ativan, but like neighborhoodthreat said, everyone's different. I also did not know what to expect from it the first time I used it so I might have been expecting more. I mean it HAS to work considering its used in prisons and hospitals to calm patients and detainees.