• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Extracting Fent from Malinckrodt patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with the fent being terribly addictive. I shoot it up. My tolerance is through the roof, it's insane. I used to ge the gel patches but now all the is available are the thin ones that look like nicotine patches kind of. I can't get high by sticking one on me but I have takin the patch and sucked on it for a while a few times so that I could give my viens a rest and I got pretty high.

Extracting Fentanyl from Mallinckrodt Patch?

OK, So this month boys & girls, my pharmacy decided to cut costs and order only Mallinckrodt generics.

Corporate restructuring my @$$!

They couldn't get my regular generic Fentanyls either. These mallinckrodt have a bit more fentanyl in them, but the Mean concentrations are way lower.

Mallinckrodt 100µg/h 2.5 @36.8hrs
My normal generic- 100µg/h 3.36 @ 29hrs

To me it looks as though they are weaker. Any thoughs, experiences with this brand?

Thanks

Neepanoid

Last edited:
I have found certain fentanyl brands to be stronger than others. Is weird. I prefer the mylan. You can ask the Pharmacy to order certain brands for you. My pharmacy gets mbox roxis for me because I prefer them and I go to them every month.

Extracting Fentanyl from Mallinckrodt Patch?

Even though the Mallinckrodt 100µg/h has a bit more overall fentanyl(11mg) as compared to my regular generic(10.2mg), the Mallinckrodt design has a membrane between the drug layer and the adhesive. This probably accounts for the extra .8mg per patch.

There again, this structural difference may make it more difficult to extract the fentanyl from the patch.

Has anyone extracted a Mallinckrodt patch? With the drug barrier, would it be as likely to precipitate the fentanyl with AE and/or Lemon juice?

Neepanoid

Last edited:
We don't allow generic vs. brand name vs. another brand name threads but because this one is (now) about extraction from a specific type of patch I think I'll allow it.

Title changed, however.

Thanks & Sorry. You know how us Newbs are. I must have missed that part in the BDD rules.
(Re-edited to take out this-vs-that brand)

Last edited:
I see no point in name brand vs generics unless the generics are counterfeit from foreign countries. Atleast our coubtry makes test often to check that generics and name brands are in good condition. For me 10 mg of diazepam is 10mg diazepam regardless which pharmaceutical conpany produced it.

This was actually a comparison between 3 generics, but since it is not allowed in BDD rules, I'll drop the issue except to address generic formulations comparisons of all drugs.

I cannot agree with you, though. The FDA has high, low and mean titration value for any given drug. Now as long as the drug has a 'mean' value that fits into their requirement gradient, they are allowed to produce it and label it as 'x' strenght. But, as I stated in my earlier post, the serum concentration mean value in question is .8ng lower *and* 6 hours slower to reach max. This would have a NOTABLE effect for the wearer, would it not?

The graph of serum concentration high-vs-low in the product insert varied from .5 to 3 supporting this, so in fairness for any given patch on any given person there can be a wide range of analgesia. Even skin prep can effect drug transfer on the same wearer.

Knowing this along with the fact that it has a membrane between the polymer matrix and the skin whereas others skip this membrane and allow the polymer matrix to deliver the drug, wouldn't it be safe to assume that, by design it is a slower releasing patch, therefore causing me more achiness, less analgesia and making me want to choke the life out of my pharmacy. After changing patches, it took about 12 hours before I started feeling the difference.

Now can we sorta get back on topic since the mods so graciously allowed this thread to remain on how to extract a mallinckrodt patch.

Neepanoid

I do not think the generic patch has any intentional safe guards against abuse. I have looked at the prescribing info for several drugs.

With Vyvanse, there is specific literature that it is suppose to be less pleasurable and/or harder to abuse. There was no such info with the generic patches.

And you said, extract. What ROA are you thinking about? There are multiple threads on Bluelight about the pros and cons of different ROAs with fentanyl transdermal systems.

First attempt at seperating the layers

Starting with a couple used 100µg/h Mallinckrodt patches, I took one and with a very sharp knife, I scraped one corner of the adhesive/membrane side of the patch to try and get a fingerhold and was able to seperate one corner of the membrane from the main backing.

Upon getting a better grip, I was able to slowly peel the patch apart. Slow and steady seem to be the winning combination. The membrane will stretch and snap if you go to fast or nick it with the knife.

I cut the other patch in half so I could get a nice sharp corner to start with and also to use other methods. I tried heating it first, that made it impossible to seperate. Freezing had a little better results, but you have to keep the patch and your fingers cold, making gripping the patch problematic so room temp seems to be the way to go unless you have a walk-in freezer handy.

On a side bar, i was able to scrape the drug polymer off of the backing a lot easier on a frozen patch than a room temp or heated one.

The drug layer is supposed to be in between the backing and the membrane. Looking at it, it looks like any other polymer matrix patch afterward, but some of the adhesive/drug sticks to either/both parts of the patch. The membrane side is very stretchy and if accidentally allowed to fold onto itself is literally impossible to unstick from itself without tearing. This may not be a big issue in the extraction process since the drug should permeate the membrane.

Seperation may be totally unnecessary, but I was thinking it would speed the extraction.

I haven't attempted extraction yet. I haven't been feeling well the last few days. Bear with me.

Neepanoid

And you said, extract. What ROA are you thinking about? There are multiple threads on Bluelight about the pros and cons of different ROAs with fentanyl transdermal systems.

I think the best ROA for me would be plugging or intra-nasal.

So far I have tried snorting the liquid extract from other used patches with mixed results. I have tried eyedrops once, and it did nothing. I wasn't sure of exactly how much fentanyl I actually extracted and I haven't the luxury of extra patches at the moment to start with a full 11mg.

If using a lemon/acid base extraction(utfse LOL), this can be quite irritating. I even trieds to neutralize the acid with baking soda when I was done, but it just added more gunk. At least with methanol or alcohol, you are left with far less irritants since it evaporates completely, then collect the extraction with sterile water.

I still take the extract and backload it into a syringe with several layers of dampened coffee filters just to get rid of any polymer bits or gunk. I would never attempt to bang fentanyl. There seems to be way too much room for error in dosage unless you start with a very small amount and dilute it even further. You can always take more, but you can't undo and OD. I read dilution estimates made by another BL. Can't think of his name at the moment. There are several extraction threads for fentanyl already including the main one.

I started this thread just because I havn't seen anything on the new Mallinckrodt brand. They have only been FDA approved in the US for 2 months. (Feb 11, 2011)

Neepanoid

These Mallinckrodt patches are horribly difficult to figure out.
Does anyone have a method for separating the fent from the patch? No gel inside obviously. Thanks.

I've found this brand is horrible all around and have heard many others echo this. I tried to start a thread about them but it got closed because the nod said brand discussions were not allowed. I first noticed the problem when i tried these orally and got zero buzz. Then when I stuck it on my arm as prescribed I went into WD within roughly 18 hours. Next I tried using a patch from a different box (I get 3 boxes of 25mcg patches per month), and had the same zero effect on my arm and trying orally. When I went online and saw some people had the same problem, I told my Doctor and he wrote me a replacement scrip as naturally the Pharm wouldn't take them back. Once i got my normal Mylan brand all was fine. I thought somehow that I just got a bad batch but after seeing posts from other people having the same problem.

So has anyone else had issues like this? I certainly will never buy their patches again!

At the mo we are allowing brand discussion if it has harm reduction potential and there are actual differences between the brands (as there is with fent patches and the different way they are made/different chemicals involved)

I have Mallinckrodt 75 mcg/hr which are okay just chasing the dragon without extracting but my favorite ROA for all opiates is plugging. I read the extraction thread for the mylan patches and for my experiment i took a tee tiny bit of 100 proof vodka, heated it in a shot glass till it was hot but not boiling, and i cut a square about 1/10th of the patch (I was being cautious because plugging is such an effective use of opiates i figured i'd get higher than smoking the same dose). I let the patch soak in the alcohol for several hours, then used a 1cc/mL oral syringe half w/water and half with the fentanyl infused alcohol and plugged. I wound up plugging the entire liquid contents of the shot glass and nothing! The alcohol i used was strong, and i'm wondering if it is something about the Mallinckrodt brand (which is new on the market) perhaps their chemical composition in the adhesive is not like the others? I am not very well versed in extractions, and since i am plugging my goal is not to get an end product of powder, i just need a way to thoroughly infuse a liquid with fentanyl. Anyone have any experience with this would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks!

P.S. By the way, for all of you who complain about plugging being too invasive, the secret is to use a SMALL oral syringe, NOT the 3 mL ones!! The 3mL ones hurt and are very difficult to insert, I tried and couldnt do it because the edges felt like they were scraping my skin and i didnt want to force it in there and wind up with abrasions! And this is coming from a girl who likes occasional backdoor fun during sex! The 1cc/mL syringes are no bigger than the skinny glass thermometers used to take baby rectal temperatures, and are completely painless. Personally IMO plugging gives me a better high than IV'ing even...quick onset and much longer legs than any other ROA, and ive done it all......

If the fentanyl is in freebase form (I think it may be) - try soaking in acidic water. A good "generic extraction" is: 1 . homogenize the patch in a blender with acidic water, 2. strain, 3. measure out doses.

Dunno how well that'd plug, though.

mallinCROCK of Shiz

i hate these.okay, these things suck as far as helping with my pain. the very best thing ive found to do is cut a strip, heat it with a hair dryer (not too much or it will melt) then scrape the glue/gelly-like membrane off with your teeeth (a couple times ive been lucky and been able to pull the backing off in a perfect sheet when i catch it right) and i just form all the glue into a little ball in my mouth and chew on it for a few hours. you can actually taste the medicine for a few minutes if you do it right (kind of a mild tingly burning sensation) and it will begin to help your pain. anybody else came up with anything else? as my pain is horrible and runs my life. let me know what you think.!!! thanks:( boooo

Status
Not open for further replies.