• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

is snorting a 30 mg morphine safe?

gmonkeyq

Greenlighter
does anyone know if its safe to snort a 30 mg time released morphine. I had a friend that said he did, but he weighs more than me, I weigh 150 if that matters. Thanks for help

you're better off eating it.. the BA of nasal morphine is really low.. and especially since you have an ER formulation, it'll be much less..

If you have no tolerance, it's probably on the high side, but it should be fine. Try half at once, then half a half-hour or so later?

If you have any sort of tolerance it's a comparatively small dose.

Yeah this really depends on the person but if you are opiate naive, start with half. I never enjoyed snorting morphine as it always gelled up on me / clogged my nose. You will definitely feel it more if you just eat it, just not with as fast of an onset.

I had been off opiates for a year and relapsed on morphine before I wound up going to pods to maintain.

But even after a year 30mg did absolutely nothing to me. Not sure what your past looks like as it really depends on that. I was expecting to feel something and barely felt anything, although I was taking it orally not snorting.

An hour later I took 80mg, a bit better, then 30mins took 120mg... and finally somewhat of a nod. It was sealed morphine too so it was definitely fresh/gtg.

If I ever got morphine again I would not snort it or take it by mouth, I'd plug it as I hear that and IV are the only real way to get high off it. I know we have to advocate a certain level of harm reduction, but I just think of 30mg morphine is like a jolly rancher or something, they both have similar effects to the brain lol, nothing. Peoples tolerances varely widely so its possible it will do something to you, I definitely don't think it'll be too much though.

There's really no way for us to determine if this is safe or not. 30mg isn't very high so I doubt you would OD, but if you have no tolerance then it can really put a whoopin on ya. Morphine itself was always a dirty high IMO, not as euphoric as heroin or oxy, but has longer legs and lasts a lot longer.

You should be fine, but take Swerlz advice and just chew it up and eat it.

30 mg was fine with me at 16 yrs, 160 lbs when I had no tolerance at all. Way back when. You'll get a better rush if you chew it, disgusting though it undoubtably is, as that breaks up the time release. That said, I wouldn't chew it at first as people's tolerance differs and it might be that 30 mg chewed is too much for you. You might throw up a lot.

always test your tolerance to different opiates before diving in. That said, I think that is completely safe, if not too low of a dose. Oxycodone is a great high (at say 15-30 mg), where as morphine is a little more sedating and much weaker. The morphine ER is a very weak pill. I have taken 120 mg with little tolerance (crushed and swallowed) without any very strong effects. But, my friend says 60 mg of morphine is the best high he's had, so it is personal. And yes, bioavaliability is around 30% so it is difficult to get high from the ER.

Yeh its a good thing I never liked oxies because they are definitely stronger than morphine ime but I always hated that speedy/stimd out type of high I got from oxies.

Anytime I do them I get restless as fuck and feel like I'm on a weird speed/opiate mix. Not sure why oxies do that but I don't actually enjoy the high at all. 80mg and I have to get up every 5mins and walk around, have a cig, sit down, catch my breath, get up again, have another cig, I just can't chill on oxies at all. Morphine was never like that for me. I seem to process more natural opiates a lot better than synthetic ones, as morphine/pods/codeine have always been my drugs of choice.

I'm on subs now too and even thats not as speedy as oxies. Gives me energy but its much more relaxed. Oxies are actually very similar to tram how they hit me, just much more narcotic/potent obviously.

Hey, thanks everyone, I think ill eat as opposed to snort now. I have a decent tolerance so I think ill be fine.

Well it all depends on your tolerance and experience with opioids?

Where are you on that ladder - do you have previous experience with opioids? Which ones and what dosages?

Morphine is one of the best opiates around if it's IV'd,but trying to get high from eating or snorting it is kind of disappointing.if you need 15 mg's of Oxy just to feel something,I doubt 30 mg's of morphine would be much better,especially since most ER morphine pills retain their time releasr formulation when crushed or chewed.

It looks like almost everyone has said this, but insufflated morphine pretty much sucks. I've never gotten high from snorting morphine, even when I had no tolerance. I snorted 60 mgs ER and felt nothing. Major disappointment. And I cant say crushing up an ER pill improved it too much. I mean I definitely caught a buzz but if I come across any form of morphine again, its going in the syringe, or maybe I'll try to plug it. I hear that's a pretty good method.

Morphine sulfate isn't an oral or intranasal drug, it's strictly an IV drug. Now there are other kinds of morphine that are better intranasally, like morphine diacetate (which is heroin - yes, heroin is a form of morphine) and morphine hydrochloride is also good taken intranasally. All morphine salts suck orally, some are good intranasally and ALL are amazing in IV form.

Morphine diacetate (heroin) is a quicker acting form than morphine sulfate, when snorted or IV'd so there is a quicker onset and a nicer rush, but they are the same when taken orally.

There are many different salts: morphine (base), morphine sulfate, morphine hydrochloride, morphine tartrate, morphine valerate, morphine isobutyrate, morphine citrate, morphine phosphate, morphine nitrate, morphine bitartrate, etc. All those I listed are schedule II, and there are more that I left out.

These are Schedule I (there are more): morphine diacetate (heroin), morphine methylbromide, morphine methylsulfonate, morphine dinicotinate (nicomorphine), morphine-N-oxide, morphine-N-oxide quinate, and pseudomorphine.

So as you can see, morphine is a complicated drug. What everyone gets for prescription or IV at the hospital is morphine sulfate - 99.9% of the time. Morphine hydrochloride is the second most used after the sulfate salt, but usage of the hydrochloride salt is extremely rare itself. On the streets, we get morphine diacetate (or di-acetyl-morphine or heroin).

Last edited:
If morphine has poor bioavailability, then why is is prescribed so widely for cancer patients? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't understand why so many cancer patients seem to have it prescribed. For example, my mom has metasticized (sp?) cancer, it started in her lungs and now its found in at least 3 other areas throughout her body. If she is lucky (or unlucky depending on how bad the pain is somedays which seems to get exponentially worse by the week) she'll make it past 4th of July.

She is prescribed morphine ER and morphine IR. I suppose she gets pain relief but it really seems like a lousy medication for pallative care especially when there are sooooo many other opiates out there to provide pain relief.

^ Morphine is the gold standard in pain relief. No other opioid, synthetic or semi-synthetic has proven to be superior to morphine for pain. Not a single one. They are either just as effective or less effective than morphine.

If morphine has poor bioavailability, then why is is prescribed so widely for cancer patients? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't understand why so many cancer patients seem to have it prescribed. For example, my mom has metasticized (sp?) cancer, it started in her lungs and now its found in at least 3 other areas throughout her body. If she is lucky (or unlucky depending on how bad the pain is somedays which seems to get exponentially worse by the week) she'll make it past 4th of July.

She is prescribed morphine ER and morphine IR. I suppose she gets pain relief but it really seems like a lousy medication for pallative care especially when there are sooooo many other opiates out there to provide pain relief.

Kokaino is correct in his assertion, most opiates do not perform as well as morphine in blind tests. Heroin seems to be the only common opioid that can even match it's effectiveness.

I think what's confusing you is the difference between a recreational vs. a medicinal viewpoint on the matter. When used medicinally, if a drug has a low oral B.A., the total dose can simply be adjusted up. If a patient needs 10mg I.V. morphine to control pain, an oral dose of 30mg should be about as effective. It makes very little difference to the doctor if the patient needs 10mg or 30mg or even 10,000mg for that matter. Recreational users have a much harder time obtaining these types of things, so there is a big difference between procuring 10mg or 30mg of the drug. From this viewpoint, oral use is always gonna be unnecessarily wasteful.