• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

is snorting a 30 mg morphine safe?

I think I'm a little confused by how all this works.

I understand that all other opiates are compared against morphine. Does this also mean that morphine provides better pain relief than other opiates?

I guess I would have thought the cancer patients I've known would have been prescribed more
"modern" opiates, such as oxycontin, or opana, or fentnyl. But I'm no dr and it seems like I don't quite understand why morphine is still so widely prescribed.

I understand that the times I've used morphine and found very little recreational value in it, that doesn't mean that if I were in pain at that time, that the morphine would have provided relief.

I understand that all other opiates are compared against morphine. Does this also mean that morphine provides better pain relief than other opiates?

more or less, yes. Studies such as "]this one suggest it is the most effective pain killer available (the other drugs in that study were fentanyl, oxycodone, hydrocodone and levorphanol).

I guess I would have thought the cancer patients I've known would have been prescribed more
"modern" opiates, such as oxycontin, or opana, or fentnyl. But I'm no dr and it seems like I don't quite understand why morphine is still so widely prescribed.

There are cases where those may be a better option. There is always variation in circumstance and individual response to drugs that make a wide variety of drugs to choose from a good idea.

Kokaino is correct in his assertion, most opiates do not perform as well as morphine in blind tests. Heroin seems to be the only common opioid that can even match it's effectiveness.

I think what's confusing you is the difference between a recreational vs. a medicinal viewpoint on the matter. When used medicinally, if a drug has a low oral B.A., the total dose can simply be adjusted up. If a patient needs 10mg I.V. morphine to control pain, an oral dose of 30mg should be about as effective. It makes very little difference to the doctor if the patient needs 10mg or 30mg or even 10,000mg for that matter. Recreational users have a much harder time obtaining these types of things, so there is a big difference between procuring 10mg or 30mg of the drug. From this viewpoint, oral use is always gonna be unnecessarily wasteful.

Right, and the only reason "heroin" matches it's effectiveness is because heroin is a morphine prodrug (even 6MAM, a very minor metabolite is converted into morphine). Heroin is morphine diacetate, a salt of morphine. Just like I explained above - there's all kinds of salts - morphine sulfate is ubiquitous of course, then you got morphine hydrochloride, morphine diacetate (heroin), etc.

Ok, so I tried eating the 30 mg morphine pill, I am still alive and most of you were totally right, I did get a buzz, but it wasn't anything amazing. It made me feel a little lazy and clumsy (I nearly sprained my ankle stepping off a curb, lol). I like hydro or oxy much better for recreational purposes, but from the way it felt, morphine would be very good for its meant purpose, pain, for I didn't feel much for a couple hours.

I see no problem with that. My first time doing opiates was when I snorted about 250 mg throughout a night. Was pretty sick for a couple days after, but I can't say I overdosed.

Ginger you didn't say what your usual tolerance is. I had taken a 30 last week, split it half then an hour later did the other.
It should have you nodding if you're not used to them.

I just snorted a purple 30mg and all i wanna do is sleep is tht normal

Morphine is sedating & it is normal for you to want to sleep when you're not use to it.

My first couple times, I couldn't get up off the sofa after taking morphine orally chewed up......my legs felt like jello.

Morphine is a drug you either like or don't.

What lb said^^^ I am prescribed 15mg ER morphine 4X's a day. I have never tried snorting them, but have used my pill splitter to split them into 4 pieces and abus, I mean taken them that way. They do seem to hit harder this way, but the "harder" seems to be putting you to sleep!

morphine has better oral bioavailability, your best bet is to eat it than snort, you'll get more outta it.

For short term use, not so much of a problem. The problem lies more for chronic pain patients. Morphine daily will bung you up solid IME more so than most, I mean they all bung you up., so constipation becomes a serious health issue!!! Trust me. I have chronic pancreatitis and need the morphine equiv of 120mg a day to function. I rotate my opiods though as it helps with tolerance. I'm on the dreaded 3mnth MST phase right now, and essentially I need a pint of Lactlose a day just to even 'move' slightly. Think I'm back on the oxy from next week. Oh Lord. When you're forced to take opiods just to function, they kinda lose their shine (If I hear one person say 'You lucky sod, getting all those free drugs' do not be suprised if you get a sharp pain in your jaw.) Also, MST at that dose is pretty sedating.

30mg morphine isn't much. you should be fine. I would eat it to get more out of it if your options are eating or snorting.
before you do ANYTHING w/ it (snort, eat, IV, plug, anything) TAKE THE COATING OFF. put it in your mouth and suck on it til you have only a white pill left (I assume you now have a reddish pill). then do what you wish w/ it. seriously though to get anything worthwhile out of these by any ROA you have got to take that coating off.
I have always assumed most people who have any experience w/ opiate pills know this about the coating on morphines (it is quite common knowledge around here) but it would seem otherwise seeing as on these recent threads on M30s I have not seen it mentioned...