• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

(Photography) Why you love the place you live

vo8STH7.jpg

Very southern gothic, I think. Probably one of my favorite pictures I've taken :\.

Posted this in the lounge but should have posted it here instead. Great Blue Heron spotted on my evening walk around my lake yesterday

13zq1i8.jpg

10h9iwy.jpg

I love great blue herons. :) I see them sometimes around here, too.

^and^^ In the field behind the harbor I have seen one catch and swallow a gopher on one occasion and on another, a garter snake. I always thought of them as purely fish eaters until I lived here.

Don't forget the prices if you are near the beach and inland is a whole different state.:(8( Renters are being driven out of my town in droves. But, still, I hear ya. Every year I say we should move and every year I think, "what am I crazy?"

Please never move. All my friends are on a retreat in SC right now. I'm so jealous. Next year, I swear, I'm tagging along so we can do hugging meditation :)

^and^^ In the field behind the harbor I have seen one catch and swallow a gopher on one occasion and on another, a garter snake. I always thought of them as purely fish eaters until I lived here.
Huh, I never thought a heron would be able to swallow anything much larger than small fish but I see now they are opportunistic predators and will also eat rodents.

berbavore said:
Don't forget the prices if you are near the beach and inland is a whole different state.:(8( Renters are being driven out of my town in droves. But, still, I hear ya. Every year I say we should move and every year I think, "what am I crazy?"
I thought about moving out to the coast, either Daytona Beach or somewhere along the Space Coast, but there is that whole cost of living thing. Plus, Orlando isn't nearly the big small town it used to be. We actually now have colorful neighborhoods and diverse shopping and dining; a far cry from what it was in the 1990s when I first got here. There are the downsides like really shitty traffic, but it's not so bad as long as you know how to plan your activities and we also have commuter rail now (and you can bring your bike on it) :D Plus, it's nice having all the resources of a major metropolitan area right at hand instead of driving an hour inland. And on the flip side, the beach is only an hour away.

Old Orange County Courthouse (now the historical museum)
2zdr39i.jpg

Dusk over Lake Eola and the northwestern skyline
oi8vw1.jpg

where i live this can happen in one night:

tahoe07.jpg

but it means i get to do this:

tahoe06.jpg

:)

alasdair

You cross country ski Ali? What winter sports besides snowboarding are you into?

Man, I miss the snow :(

The smell of pine and ski wax in the morning. The glare of the sun reflecting across a thin sheet of powder-icing-crust. Ugh! So fucking beautiful!!!!!

And best of all, naked sex in the woods :)

Naked sex... as opposed to furry sex...

:\

where i live this can happen in one night:

tahoe07.jpg

but it means i get to do this:

tahoe06.jpg

:)

alasdair

Those are magnificent photos. Not only you live in a great place but I can also see you get plenty of day light during the winter which makes it so perfect. Great place indeed! And you have been to places like Ushuaia, and seen the glaciers Deep South. But this is something special, from your "Back yard" so to speak and they are truly beautiful. :)

Last edited:
^I appreciate that you ignored some of the less irresponsible parts of that post Ali.

What would I do without BL? Make a fool out of myself in the local pub? Like, do we even have those? Nope...

Thank you :)