• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

(Photography) Why you love the place you live

^ That top one is stunning. I especially like the bare trees. I used to teach at a small state university in the Appalachian foothills in northeast Alabama and I loved winter hiking in the Talladega National Forest. The woods seemed so airy and light without any leaves on the trees. It's so remote that it was a little creepy during the warmer months under all that thick forest canopy.

EDIT: Xorkoth, it's not all Floridians LOL. I go up and rent a cabin in Blairsville, Georgia every now and then when I need to see topography. It used to be a really remote, redneck little town (Deliverance-style) but it's gotten gentrified now and everywhere you look, there are cars from Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett Counties. You can even get Illy coffee there now and sushi at Ingles. Not that I don't like Illy coffee and sushi, but that's not why I go to the mountains. I used to have a great view of Brasstown Bald, the highest peak in Georgia, from the front porch of the cabin where I'd sit with a book, coffee and cigarettes, until some douchenozzle retired captain from Delta Air Lines built a mountain home that can only be described as monstrous, marring everyone else's views. And of course no one is EVER there.

Last edited:
^ I know that, it's just kind of thing people say around here, because we're frustrated about the expansion and having a scapegoat helps. =D

Malevolent, the first one is a lot like the picture I took that I was talking about, except with more shape to the clouds, but the color is pretty spot-on.

Went on a morning hike today before TS Alberto starts dumping on us later today/tomorrow.

Good size alligator. Just from eyeballing it I'd guesstimate 6'
2ls7hhj.jpg

1zofhba.jpg

Swallowtail butterflies enjoying some swamp apples
5ebexh.jpg

Swamp apples
2vni6ut.jpg

Barred owl - s/he blends in well
a4se4g.jpg

Last edited:
^oh wow I love that weather (seriously, I love gray weather).

I'm not even a big fan of baseball, but I LOVE baseball stadiums like that, with that kind of weather, eating peanuts and drinking a beer.

Mmmmmm :)

Yep, sitting in Busch stadium drinking a Budweiser, that's St. Louis for ya, and of course a kosher pastrami dog.

Should it come to pass, I’m trying to get myself situated so I can do post grad stuff in San Francisco. So I can enjoy me some wet overcast weather more often :)

That sounds pretty good tubbs - way way way better than the so-called bacon dogs they sell on the sidewalks everywhere in downtown LA. Gross. But I do love onions, sauerkraut and mustard, especially when I don’t have to worry about kissing anyone right after.

I once was madly in love with someone who loved garlic. Yum...

kcffgl.jpg

I love my area as there are plenty of good sights if you know where to wander.

I didn't take this picture, and I haven't lived there in a long time, but this was my favorite place to study/read/work on research when I was a PhD student at the Florida State University. This space was never a chapel or served a religious purpose; it was the original library's reference room before the library was moved into a modern, sprawling six story building. Picture comes from Google maps.

elco04.png

Last edited: