• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Maximize snorting efficiency: Tips, Tricks, & Teks

waldo777

Bluelighter
A fair number of drugs such as Cocaine, Heroin, Buprenorphine (sic?), as well as other various opiates and other substances are most efficiently, (or at least significantly efficiently) absorbed through insufflation or "snorting".

DISCLAIMER:
[While the above mentioned drugs are most efficiently taken via the IV ROA, yielding essentially a 100% absorption rate, IV use will not be discussed here except perhaps to serve as a comparison. This thread is limited only to the intranasal/snorting ROA, and the ways in which people can increase the amount of drug absorbed, by utilizing different techniques than simply "crush and snort" ]

The problem is, drugs like cocaine and heroin salts have very poor BA orally, meaning that drip you get after snorting is the taste of drugs being wasted. So for those who don't want to IV drugs or freebase them, how can we make the process of snorting as efficient and safe as possible? ----thus incentivising people to stay away from needles for as long as possible.

FIRST: TYPES OF SNORTING;
1) Crush into fine powder and snort
1a.) Make powder into long skinny lines, snorting the dose over a period of a few minutes instead of in a single breath
1b.) Make powder into fat, long lines--snort all at once

2) Mix powder with water to form a solution
2a.) Using a straw or something similar, snort the solution off a non-porous surface
2b.) Using a dropper or oral syringe, drip, squirt, or snort the droplets into the nose directly from one of these devices

3) Put powder into a "bendy straw", with one end of straw in the mouth and the other end in the nostril, use your mouth to blow the powder sitting inside the straw directly into the nostril
NOTE: only works when both nostrils are clear enough for air to pass through, otherwise the powder will "bounce out" of the selected nostril instead of traveling through the nasal passageways.

THE PROBLEMS: why some drug is wasted when snorted;

1) Snorting powder not crushed fine enough will result in chunks of a given substance lining the membranes--meaning less surface area and less absorption
1a.) Powder that is too fine will often be sucked into the lungs or throat instead of the nasal membranes where it should be

2) The "Drip" ---> it seems inevitable, even if only small amounts of powder are snorted, some will drip down the throat and be wasted

3) Direct Bypass of nasal membranes: Sometimes when a drug is snorted, either in powder or liquid form, it seems to hit the back of the throat directly, no drip is felt, only the sensation of drug hitting throat

4) Clogged membranes: after enough powder is snorted, some of the cuts, or even the drug itself seem to stop being absorbed and "cake up", forming a barrier between drug & circulatory system

HOW TO SNORT MORE EFFICIENTLY:

I wish i knew! but i can say this:
1) Crush as fine as possible, more surface area = better absorption

2) Find the "sweet spot" in terms of suction: some find that quick, hard snorts force the powder to hit and stick to the nasal membranes, others find this causes the drug to go directly to the throat

3) Clean out your nasal passageways periodically but not frequently and avoid constant nose blowing. A little bit of water up the nose to flush out insoluble material will aid absorption so long as it is not done frequently. Also, blowing ones nose will remove caked up material, but blow to much and your membranes will become inflamed and less capable of absorption

4) If you find the powder is too fine and you can see it come out of your mouth when you exhale; either:
a) close off the used nostril and exhale out the other nostril instead of your mouth, at least this way some of the powder has a second chance to stick to nasal membranes
b) snort a few droplets of water off your finger tips into the nostril you plan to snort with, wait for the water to drip down your throat and even give it a soft blow to get rid of excess water. The point of this is to line the nasal membranes with water so that any powder is more likely to stick to them than it would a dry surface.

For those whose noses are a bit destroyed and find the powder going directly to their throats, I have found (if one is in the position to do so, and to do so safely) that snorting a bit of a less precious powder first kind of blocks the holes the powder is escaping through. Once that is achieved, the more precious powder can be snorted and less seems to hit the throat. Also, using the back of your tongue to shut the passage between nostril and throat works somewhat well, but is difficult to do---> (this is what is trying to be accomplished by the straw technique mentioned above)

This is just some preliminary thoughts and I would greatly appreciate peoples comments, critiques, experiences, thoughts, tips, or anything else relevant. Thanks in advance

just now i was cutting up ketamine for snorting, this helped, i find using a slow inhale with a snorty pointed towards the wall of your nose near the bridge helps. then lean back and rub it. i think it helps :p but if not rub it for luck :) this makes sense to me, but i'm on k so apologies if it's nonsense

Sometimes before I blow something, I'll "clean" out my nasal passage by using a saline nasal spray. Then a little while afterwards, I'll use the spray again to help move along the larger chunks and other powder that may have gotten caked up.

Only use a pure saline based nasal spray though, using something like Afrin (oxymetazoline) or phenylephrine will cause the blood vessels in your nose to constrict and limit the amount of absorption.

Concerning bupe, I've been able to achieve identical results by just sticking a chunk (usually a little over a mg or so) straight up the nose and pretty far up there. This is quicker for me and gets rid of some of the stinging feeling from chopping regular lines. This would obviously only work with bupe because of its specific properties of absorption. I've yet to hear about my results being replicated, as well. Any takers?

MMmmmm, but I love the taste of drip.. If I don't taste it I start fearing it isn't working or good....

Please do not take offense to my reply "spaceyourbass", but I think why nobody else does what you do with suboxone or subutex etc... Is because it is pointless--it has no effects, of any type that are greater than the effects felt from sublingual admin. By putting a chunk of pill in your nose you would avoid the main purpose of snorting a drug---> which is that you powderize the drug creating a larger surface area allowing large amounts of the drug to rapidly be absorbed by nasal membranes giving a stronger high.
Having the pill dissolve in your nose or under your tongue would yield the exact same effects at the least and putting the pill under the tongue is (I imagine) far more comfortable than pushing a pill up ones nostril

Can you add some useful harm reduction advice?

ie Don't share snorting utensils.

My Snorting Tips

I always use saline nasal spray prior to snorting powder, because it decreeases the change the powder goes in my lungs. The wetness caches the particles, and causes a faster absorbtion which means better rush. A wet membrane absrobs far better than a dried out one.

Also, if you are dealing with super fine powder, I have a technique for avoiding powder to go n my lung. When I sniff the line, I do kind of a pig snort with my nose--- a very light one. You know what I mean? Like, when you are inhaling with your nose but in a way that it makes a rumble noise and vibrates? I do this and no powder goes in my lungs--- it is like shaking your nasal passage while you snort so all the powder is coated around your membranes.

Can you usually taste it right away? or does that mean its going right down my throat?? It feels like it is but im barely inhaling!

MMmmmm, but I love the taste of drip.. If I don't taste it I start fearing it isn't working or good....

MMM MMMMMMMMMMMM not much better then a good one

mod note: please edit your post instead of posting quickly twice in a row

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a stupid question but my friend asked me whether one is actually meant to snort the powder "up" or "into" the nose? As in putting the straw agaisnt the membranes of the nose or towards the throat?

Btw this is not a "swim" question, my friend did actually ask me :p

im not too sure about this one but a while back i remember seeing a post about using bendy straws to blow the powder up your nose, you put the powder in the straw, put one end in your mouth and the other end in your nostril.

then use your mouth to blow the powder out of the straw and into your nose, but you don't block one of your nostrils.
just leave both of them open.

so basically you snort while exhaling, but i've never tried this one.

Yeah that straw-mouth-nose Tek you just mentioned I included in my original post, but I find it very wasteful / useless. Its good in theory, BUT:
1) Some powder gets stuck to the inside of the straw
2) After 1 use the inside of the straw is moist/wet from blowing into it so using the same straw twice causes a good amount of powder to get stuck inside
3) Both nostrils must be clear so that your breath can travel (with the powder) throughout your nasal passages. Besides not always having 2 clear nostrils, even when this is the case, IME a large portion of powder either bounces right back out of the used nostril or flies out of the other nostril w/ your breath. Every time I've attempted this I always see a cloud of powder :(

That said it may be worth trying with heavier powders like cocaine, the bits of powder I did successfully lodge in my nose did indeed come into contact with areas of nasal membrane I have not felt been "used" from conventional snorting.

---as to the "make a pig like grunt when snorting Tek", does this also keep powder from going straight to the throat? I've resorted to using my tongue to block that passageway---it works, but only somewhat

Please do not take offense to my reply "spaceyourbass", but I think why nobody else does what you do with suboxone or subutex etc... Is because it is pointless--it has no effects, of any type that are greater than the effects felt from sublingual admin. By putting a chunk of pill in your nose you would avoid the main purpose of snorting a drug---> which is that you powderize the drug creating a larger surface area allowing large amounts of the drug to rapidly be absorbed by nasal membranes giving a stronger high.
Having the pill dissolve in your nose or under your tongue would yield the exact same effects at the least and putting the pill under the tongue is (I imagine) far more comfortable than pushing a pill up ones nostril

Its kind of obvious that you don't speak from experience. Bupe is totally different from, say, oxy. You can let it melt in your hand and absorb the drug, but this won't be as effective as sublingual administration. I can sniff (and you do sniff bupe as opposed to snort it) 1mg of suboxone and have a greater effect than an 8mg/2mg pill under my tongue. My limited experience with straight buperenorphine led to the same conclusion. I would never put a chunk of oxy in my nose because that would be pointless.
Read - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1669456/?page=1 (the section on abuse by snorting)

Intresting information. There was me thinking that the drip was a good thing, like it will work quicker.

My thread about snorting fine powders may be handy here: Lung Safe Snorting. I did my best to outline a technique where you use your throat for suction while your lungs are sealed off. Not a single particle gets in your lungs. All you need is a straw and the ability to hold your breath for 10 seconds. I've been using it to snort ball-milled powders (<45 micron) daily with no ill effects on my lungs for years.

As long as I'm at it, I'll throw this in there too: DIY Saline.

I totally agree with using saline to clean your nose first. Just go to walgreens and buy a Neti Pot. Make sure it is warm water. Also obviously cleaning your nose first. Also some pills you cannot snort. It all has to do with the PH balance of the substance your snorting. The more acidic you can snort the less you cant. If the substance is below 7 on a PH scale its snortable, if its not than there is no point.

Hello,
Not sure I am doing this right but if I'm in the wrong place an anyone help my question to the right place? I have had a script for oxymorphone er for the last 4 years, my pain doc told me last month that he will have to give me something else because it is being taken off the market......................scared about what he will give to replace it.
Any ideas

Omg. I've done all this and my nose is on fire. And my teeth are starting to hurt really bad on the side that's super clogged. I heard a netti pot works I don't have one so instead I used a water bottle with warm salt water worked great on one side of my nose and now the other one it won't even break through it. Wtf should I do I've previously before tried Sudafed and nasel spray doesn't work to relieve the pain or anything. Ugh.

I snorted the sex drug peptide bremelanotide, 27 mg, and it made me feel sexually aroused for more than 24 hours. Does anyone have good advice on how to snort peptides? Bluelight taught me that i could have microfinely chopped it first. I'm also considering snorting saline then waiting 11 minutes to thin out nasal mucous. One anecdote seemed to suggest dissolving a drug in carbonated water (perrier) could be effective, although perhaps just as a pre-rinse as peptides are pH sensitive.

Some things i've thought about that might make snorting many things better absorbed are:

Niacin, the vitamin that causes flushing can be applied topically to the lips to make them puff up. Untested, but if a person snorts niacin 3 minutes before the main chemical perhaps the nose gets lots more bloodflow causing better absorption or even a better rush.

Dmso, dmso causes drugs to be many times