• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel (quetiapine) dosage for insomnia

kaiba

Bluelighter
What's the best dose for sleep/insomnia/sedation? 25, 50 or 100 mg?

Last edited:
For sleep, the 25-50mg range is the best dosage. If you get higher than 100 or so mg, the effects become more "antipsychotic" in nature. At lower dosages, Seroquel acts like a very powerful antihistamine, which is why its so good at knocking you out for 12-14 hours.

No need to go higher in dosage if the lower dose works for you. I recommend starting with 25mg, you'll probably find no need to go any higher. :)

I would say roughly 50mg. Anything over that would probably be a waste. Seroquel doesn't make me sleep, it put's me into short-term coma's even at low doses, haha.

It is very good for getting a good kip though. Although one side effect for me was always a blocked nose, so I had to sleep with my mouth open, and wake up the next morning with disgusting breath.

Anyway, try 25-50mg, see how it goes. If it doesn't work, up the dose by 20mg each time. But surely 50mg will get you to sleep.

Good luck! :)

^^Yeah. The first time my psychiatrist offered this to me at 50mg, I thought he was lame for only prescribing that much. I took it and woke up 10 hours later in a puddle of drool on my pillow....So yeah, 50 should be plenty.

I have been once prescribed 800mg to get sleep but I could not sleep at all even at that dosage. And I did not have tolerance and did not have any stimulant binge before that. Just wonders how bad my sleep problems sometimes are. And second time that amount of Seroquel combined with days amount of 600mg of Tramadol ER gave me serotonin syndrome.

Some people get sleepy with 50mg but not people like me on manic state.

25-50 for sleep, up past 100 its a DA2 blocker, and may worsen your insomnia due to akatisa and dyskenesia associated with all antipsychotics, granted seroquel is known to be light on such side effects, they can still manifest.

25-50 for sleep, up past 100 its a DA2 blocker, and may worsen your insomnia due to akatisa and dyskenesia associated with all antipsychotics, granted seroquel is known to be light on such side effects, they can still manifest.
This. A friend of mine was on 400 for "sleep" (I have called bullshit many times. He maintains.) He stopped because of kicking his legs involuntarily etc.

Anyone know the dose when Seroquel doesn't work as an antihistamine anymore?

It's around 100mg where the antihistamine effects start to be overpowered by the DA2 blocking effects, as rangrz mentioned. Probably best to stay in the 25-75mg range for sleep. Whatever the lowest dosage you can take to put you to sleep effectively is what you should use.

50mg is plenty for regular insomnia, i use 100-150mg for nasty stimulant comedowns.

occasionally i use 50mg and it usually works for sleeping a relatively long time. it, in my case, isn't effective in getting me to fall out though.
nasal passages are absolutely clogged and as i awake my throat is really sore from mouth breathing all night.

prison population would kill to get them because they knock one out for hours.
psych-docs hand them out like crazy, knowing that they have no abuse potential.

I agree with everyone, I was prescribed 75mg 3 times a day and have no recollection of the two months I followed this regimen, except it was almost impossible to stay awake. 25-50 should be good, 75 if you want to be sure you drool on yourself.

I would just say: if you are taking this drug, make sure that you aren't at risk for TMJ (family members that have it) and that you aren't grinding your teeth. I took this for 2 years and had no idea that I was grinding my teeth at night because I was out so soundly. I had problems for 5 years opening my mouth all the way. It did pretty much go away, after the 5 years -- but I can't tolerate this med any longer and I sometimes have to wear a mouth guard at night (which would have been better to wear in the begining to prevent the damage).

I was on 25mg.

never ever eat that crap unless you want to loose all sense of who you are, i had a slightly mental/psychotic breakdown when my babies mother screwed me over and disappeared with my son.
i reached out for help, saw a psychiatrist cause i thought i was gonna really loose my wig, when i saw the doc and talked to him i said im willing to take meds for the first time in my life the only stipulation was that i would not agree to take seroquil. his words was "if you dont take what i prescribe you than i wont see you". he tried to perscribe me generic quil acting like i wouldent figure it out. anyway i took the recomended dose that night before i went to bed, the next day i wasent sad, i wasent happy, i had no real emotion. it made me feel like crap, i tried to talk to my family on the phone and i couldent do it, i couldent work i felt like a mindless drone. i felt like a part of my brain had been cut out. i threw away the pills that night.
take at your own risk, i havent tried but im sure there are way better meds to be on that dont make you feel like your the living dead. if i wasent scared of doctors and medication already, that sure put the final nail in the coffin.

Treatment was administered orally 1 h before bedtime on nights 1 and 2. Quetiapine 25 mg and 100 mg significantly improved sleep induction and continuity under standard and acoustic stress conditions. Increases in total sleep time, sleep efficiency, percentage sleep stage 2 and subjective sleep quality were seen. A significant increase in periodic leg movements during sleep was observed with quetiapine 100 mg.
[Same source as in above post]

Looks like you just proved yourself (and a few other posters) right ;)

_____

kaiba, I edited the title of your thread for easier searching in the future. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Interesting article on Seroquel:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

Anyone know the dose when Seroquel doesn't work as an antihistamine anymore?

250mg it starts do blockdopamione receptors. (i see with have somem conficting information.)
it has all the info regarding this issue on www.wikipedia.org. do a search on seroquel.(quitiapine)
ive taken up tp 350mg. (it was a little strong) but dont be scared of seroquel. it dosnt create weird holluxincations like diphenhydramine. (with i new about seroquel years ago when i did meth/mdma occationally. it no doughtavby knock u out when ya need the face where ya brain is still racing but all i want is sleep. i horrible place to be that i will never have to experience again. even the otc promethazine (a weak antipychotic) would have helped

try 250mg it wont hurt ya. but save it for when ya need to get to sleep fast like come downs. its a little trippy. similar to a dissasiciative.

swtch to zyprexa, (olanzepine) 5mg=75mg seroquel

& any dose of loazepine blocks dopamine. i think the D1, d2, d3 receptors

seroquel just a sedative antihistamine at lower doses but it is strong stuff.
150mg u'll hnave no problems getting to sleep. u may have problems actualy making it to bed lol

ive had 40mg valium & 40mg temazepam already this morning (gunna have to upgrade to kpins or xanax) cuz these things are like lollies & i like the taste of em. but thit these 2 benzos atleast are weak. a coffee or 2 basically counteracts the sedation.
i was to take 150mg seroquel it would be stonger than 150mg temazepam (15 pills)

my advise touse. swtchihto zyprexa. les delerium cleaner feeliong. u ony need a single 5mg tablet. ot 2 if u have really bad insomna

Last edited:
[Same source as in above post]

Looks like you just proved yourself (and a few other posters) right ;)

_____

kaiba, I edited the title of your thread for easier searching in the future. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

So you would recommend 75 mg (< 100 mg) based on that article/journal?

Would 75 mg be an optimum dose for sleep/sedation/insomnia? Best return of investment (ROI) and dosage/cost benefit with regards to sleep/sedation/insomnia?

Thanks!

With quetiapine (Seroquel), 50 mg should be enough for insomnia (this is the dose I recommend). It has marked sedative effects, even at 25 mg for people who are sensitive to the drug or have never tried it before. It is a very strong sedative. I wouldn't go beyond 50 mg.

mmmm... i took 300mg (a little more than my usally 200mg) the other night still kept waken up. (if u have really bad insomnia & anxiety 50mg isnt gunna do more than 75mg of the otc phenergan aka promethazine)
I think i read somewhere that phenergan is a weak AP with approx equal dose for sedation.
anyways switched back to zyprexa (olanzepine) took 10mg last night slept no problem. (suppose top be quivelent to 150-200mg)
& I ran out of benzos the other day. usually would have a little w/d but still had np sleeping.
I actually dont mind antipychotics these days. once ya get used to em its better than layen there waiting & counting sheep to go to sleep. I go to sleep early. wake up early these days.
Im yet to see how mad the w/d are from em though...

I rarely smoke pot but if u take an AP while stoned u only need like half the dose. they're also good for insomnia the few days i get after drinking but i dont drink these days but for anyone experiencing alcohol w/d they could be helpful for sleep.

Last edited: