• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Brain zaps theories/cure?

Maybe it´s obsolete what i´m about to write now but i´m thinking these zaps are more related to receptor damage than serotonin depletion. After a serious mdma binge I got zaps the whole day long. After a (well actually several tbh) recent 6-apb binge i got them again, but this time they sticked around longer and i only got them when i was dozing off(serotonin->melatonin is the trigger there i guess). If it was only due to depletion i don´t see how the latter brainzap periods could last longer while they weren´t as intense.

5-HTP (maybe, although ive heard it can make them worse or trigger them)

Experienced the same thing today with L-tryptophan oddly enough, took some earlier today and a bit later i got zapped a couple of times. Completely out of the
Cigarettes can trigger a few zaps as well.

SSRI´s are the only things that give immedeate relieve ime. I don´t need much, 5 mg of sipralexa is enough to keep me zap-free for a night. It doesn´t speed up the healing process though.

i get them when im coming down off M for a couple days every time. it seems when i smoke weed makes them way worse. but i dont see how they bother people so bad. i get them after every roll and its NOT that bad. i guess it could depend on the person an how severe they are.........i suppose. but i beleive i get them quit badly and they dont even bother me that bad. i actually kinda enjoy them after i smoke a fat joint lol.

I got them bad withdrawing from meth. Weed actually seems to help for me (although it makes my HPPD a lot worse, so it's a trade off)

I'm really sorry, i know this thread is really old but i've got really severe zaps from a festival bender on mdma, i don't think i even did that much, maybe 1.5 grams over 2 days, but i found out afterwards that one of the bags had had lsd in and they hadn';t bothered to wash it :/ the crystals were kind browney coloured. The zaps are really horrible, cam anyone clarify milk of magnesium working???

Still having problems with the zaps, serendipity?
Dunno about milk of magnesium, but plain tabs with 400mg of magnesium (the bioavailable kind, not the plain ore) don´t help a bit.

I've never had brain zaps from mdma, but i have had them really bad years ago when i was abusing the shit out of tramadol. Knowing what i know now I'm amazed i didnt have a seizure. I think there's evidence a'plenty to link these zaps to seretonin. 5-htp is our friend.

All wrong. The reasons American doctors are having a hard time figuring it out is because they are being lied to. Being lied to by Pharmaceutical, FDA, CDC, & EPA. One of the reasons being is Fluoride is a 14 billion dollar a year industry of waste management fraud & lack of accountability in proper disposal. You see, Fluoride is ionic radiation. The decay rate is determined by the number following. F6, F12, F14, F18,F19. These are half lives. There are cases of Vascular spasms,Brain zaps outside of SSRI specific. These case studies were discovered in NON fluoridated communities. A Violinist named Michael Nield commited suicide from a severe case of brain zaps in the UK. His diagnosis was electrosensitivity, or better known as radiation alergy. I get brain zaps from drinking milk. Yes, i am electrosensitive to milk because the EPA & FDA are covering it up. Remedy: Potassium pills(gamma) nutralizes all unsafe isotopes not in gamma range. Food grade iodine(5 drops under tongue) for thyroid. USDA organic baking soda to flush kidneys. AND.... a turkey sandwich to rebuild seretonin levels. I know its hard to break from all you were told, but you have a chance to stop it now, as my dad died of brain cancer. You may laugh now, but someday you will wish you thanked me.

I only ever got them while trying to sleep, usually accompanied by sleep paralysis and a sudden jolt of my body.

That's how I experience them, always 48 hours after binging on MDMA and it hits me when I lay down and try to sleep. It's horrible to go through and I don't get a good nights sleep for around 4 to 5 nights.

If I really hammer the stuff I experience audio hallucinations like people jumping on the bed next to me or running up and down the stairs. I also agree with those who say smoking weed makes it worse.

So are people implying here that they get MDMA brain zaps when they're not sleeping? I had no idea that MDMA users experienced them through their waking days; I only ever got them while trying to sleep, usually accompanied by sleep paralysis and a sudden jolt of my body.

yeah i remembered i binged for a few weeks then cold turkey for a week and i had brain zaps when i tried to sleep. i was using 5htp, melatonin and weed to sleep so i guess that made the brain zaps worse 8(. i spent many nights awake floating on my bed and managed to get few hours of sleep in the day time.

I really like FBC's theory on brain zaps as I feel it might be accurate. Discontinuation of SSRIs and various other serotonin releasing drugs ((Meth)Amphetamine, MDMA) have also been linked to brain zaps. I feel there is some depth to the phenomenon that transcends my current understanding of the brain; A general explanation from a scientific journal has yet to present itself despite years of reading about ecstasy.

Finally some answers I've been looking for!
My boyfriend and I have been experiencing debilitating brain zaps for days now and I've been searching for answers with not much luck.
We came off a binge of MDMA stupidness, and this is the first time either of us have experienced these. I felt like I was going to black out many times, and he finally explained it as shocks happening to his body. Made total sense. They happen sometimes as often as 5-10 in a row, and can happen constantly at times or only when we move other times. I have a hard time seeing and opening my eyes, my hands go tingly and numb, and for those few seconds its immobilizing. I have also been very nauseous and did get sick a few times. Dreams have been intense, scary and weird.
It started 2 days after we stopped, and now it is day 3 of these zaps. The first day was so scary I kinda panicked, didn't know what was happening and how to handle it. I'm so glad to have found this forum and get some understanding of it. It really is the worst feeling ever, and both of us have said we will never touch the stuff again. Not worth it. Really hope this doesn't last too much longer, I feel like I'm going to lose it.
Biggest eye opener we've ever had.

i had a simerler experience after coming of a 3 week iv methylone binge. i managed to go 2 days before i started using methylone again to stop the zaps. the second time i stopped using i got quentiapine of my doctor. this helped me have dreamless deep sleeps and stopped the zaps when i was awake. i used them for a week afterwards and stopped. the exact cause of brain zaps is not knowing but it;s theorized the cause is when using a large amount of drugs. your serotonin receptors down regulate to handle the constant over stimulation this is known as allostasis. which is your brain normalizing it'self and rewiring to accommodate the drug. when you stop using or the drug wears of your receptors will not be functioning to accommodate a normal brain state. your brain will attempt to return to a normal brain state known as hallostasis. while this happens your chemistry and neurons will be of and misconfigured. ssris are good because they assist in regulation your brain chemicals

If you add to the fact most MDMA today is not even MD and if it is real theres a higher chance than not it's adulterated with substances far more harmful than MD itself

Then you begin to understand the damage risks of binging on mdma.. you might get some of that other shit too, for example research chemicals

Dont binge too much on mdma tho, it aint worth it seems, no matter how many fucks you give

There is no know cure for brain zaps, all you can do is work out and eat right plus sleep, as far as I know

So are people implying here that they get MDMA brain zaps when they're not sleeping? I had no idea that MDMA users experienced them through their waking days; I only ever got them while trying to sleep, usually accompanied by sleep paralysis and a sudden jolt of my body.

The MDMA zaps seem much more powerful and more of an electric shock than the zaps I've received off benzos. However, the benzo zaps usually happened through the day. The sound was somewhat reminiscent of the sound of turning off an old CRT tv; but it used to make me feel such weirder than the MDMA zaps, and was usually accompanied by an impending sense of doom. Plus, it was like I lost a split second of consciousness - for example, if I was listening to music, it would skip slightly. Fucking horrible feeling.

I've only had the zaps when I'm trying to sleep also. Had em a couple nights after a 3 day binge and then for a few days after I dosed to much on a weekend. Pretty much I'd be trying to go to sleep and then suddenly my brain would zap and my whole body would jolt, it's pretty intense and a really uncomfortable experience. I remember being scared to close my eyes incase it happened again, couldn't imagine getting those zaps throughout the day.

Bump

These have become a regular fixture for me. They usually happen after smoking weed but they happen without too. They only happen while I'm waiting in bed to sleep and they are manageable but id rather they stop. My MDMA use is probably a fair bit heavier than what is regarded by a lot on this forum as safe/reasonable, but even after taking up to a month hiatus from it there's no change

Has anyone found any success in ending the brain zaps?

I've been having brain zaps now for nearly 6 months, I only get them sort of late in the day and worse during the week but going to start taking 5htp again as I feel the healing process is slowing down. these were a result of a heady ecstasy bender I had back in late June

I STRONGLY believe that 'brain zaps' are caused by increased blood flow to specific regions of the brain. This is proven to happen in post MDMA research, although it is not common. Normally it is a sign of neurotoxicity. Prior to the increase in bloodflow there is a decrease seen initially. The increases, when they are found, can last many months in some users. Eventually, blood flow is restored. Further brain scans reveal that even, symmetrical blood flow eventually returns, which suggests that axonal re-sprouting has occured as well as compensation by other neurotransmitter systems.

The brain itself cannot feel anything, but the scalp and the face contain nerves that are connected directly to the brain. This is why a stroke will sometimes cause facial paralysis.

I have felt constant buzzing sensations in many different areas of my scalp and face. It is very easy to assign the feeling to a certain area of the brain, too. I used to feel a LOT of buzzing on the back of my head, now it is primarily in the front, right behind the forehead.

I have only had one actual ZAP. Most of my brain buzzing is much more drawn out and it goes on for hours or days on end.
I have also noticed that much of this buzzing is related to digestion!

I can feel as the mass in my intestines moves south, the buzzing in my brain moves around. Sometimes, the lower the food goes, the more 'frontal' the buzzing feels. Make sense?

If you have brain zaps, you are living proof of neurotoxicity.
You are also living proof of neuro adaptation. How the brain restores blood distribution to normal levels is astounding to researchers.

Have you had any luck with a proper diagnosis and aid from a gp? You have described this the best way ever, each time i have seen my gp they struggle to understand what i mean. I have had mine for almost 18 years now, the scalp feelings are daily and i still get a falling sensation depeoon what why i lay when going to sleep. Had recently came up with a low vitamin d count in blood tests but havent returned to my doctor as it appears there is nothing that can be done?