• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Involuntary jaw movement while sober - related to coke usage?

GBM

Bluelighter
I tried searching but I couldn't really find much because this seems to not be a very common thing. My one buddy who smokes a lot of crack has this weird thing where his jaw will open down and either to the left or right. When this happens the jaw is pretty much stretched as far as it can. I've always heard that this is a side effect when you smoke a lot of crack. Now I don't smoke a lot of crack (4 times, most recent being about a week ago, time before that was October 2010), but I do enjoy a good line. I've noticed that whenever I'm sitting on a bus or in class my jaw will move side to side. I don't purposefully do this, I dont even notice until my jaw is already fully outstretched. Is this truly from doing cocaine, and will it go away?

I get this, it's like being on MDMA all the time. Feels like tension in your jaw muscles

Very common for cocaine use. When I used to do blow I would purposely chew gum after I started to geek so I didnt work my jaw to death.

a magnesium supplement is supposed to help. magnesium oxide is form is the least/worst kind that is absorbed btw.

Can whichever mod changed my title from 'Jaw movement' to 'jaw movement on coke' please change it back as you have changed the question I'm asking and now I'm not receiving proper answers. The jaw movement doesn't happen while I'm on coke/crack it happens when I'm not on it. Problem is I don't want people to see me sitting there in class moving my jaw around cuz they'll think I'm a crack head.

Remember: This happens when I am NOT on coke/crack. It never used to happen until I started to do cocaine more often.

I'd say more common from snorted blow than from crack or IV. It may have something to do with snorted blow numbing the upper jaw.

Teeth grinding is less of a problem with coke than with ecstasy, though.

Anxiety and/or magnesium deficiency seem to be the mostly likely suspects. I can't believe I'm acting giving a +1 to something TMP said, but starting magnesium supplementation may be a good idea. Magnesium Oxide is the cheapest and most readily available but it isn't absorbed as efficient as others (Glycinate, Lactate, Aspartate, Citrate, Sulphate, etc.)

I think this might be an extrapyramidal symptom. Do a google search for that.

Last edited:
i got that hardore when on meth. my jaw would go down and to the right and almost cramp. only thing that helped was xans and not using.

I find myself clenching my jaw & chewn on my cheeks n gums!! Makes for a raw mouth in the Morning tho!

OP, if you are still moving your jaw even weeks after no blow, you probably grind your teeth when you sleep. that can be a bigger deal than it sounds like. you should ask your dentist about it.

and you should do less coke, obviously.