• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction How to Get Needles Mega Thread

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
This is a project to help IDU's (injecting drug users) get new needles every time. Using your own, new needle, and your own injection equipment, is the only way to avoid the Hepatitis C virus and the HIV virus as an IDU. There are many other blood borne illnesses that can be transmitted through sharing used injection equipment as well.

Therefore, I have created this thread to help prevent these diseases from spreading. If you are already infected, I wish you the best in getting treatment.

Before I attempt to buy needles, what information do I need to know?​
Aside from your state laws, you should know these four basic things before trying to buy needles.

1) Desired brand
2) Gauge
3) Volume
4) Needle Length

Brands of needles vary depending on what pharmacy you go to, however, most pharmacies will stock common brands, such as BD, or Terumo. As for the gauge of a needle, most people will prefer a 27 to 31 gauge needle. The larger the gauge number, the finer the needle. Anything larger than a 27G is not desirable for what you all would be using needles for. The volume represents how much liquid the syringe can hold. 1cc = 1ml = 100 units. There are 0.3mL, 0.5ml, and 1ml volumes which are standard at all pharmacies. For drug use, unless you know that you don't need a large volume, you will probably want 1ml. The needle length options will vary depending on the gauge, but the common ones are 5/16" (also known as short tips), and 1/2" (also known as long tips). You will need to determine which length is more desirable for you, often IV drug users will have their heart set on one or the other. There are longer and shorter needles as well, but are less often used overall.

How do I buy needles?​
1) Order Online - The below quote is from <LINK REMOVED>, and is an example of what the limitations are, based on state.

CA, NV: In California and Nevada, you assert syringes will be used for diabetic purposes or legitimate purpose

FL, VA: In Florida and Virginia, you assert that you are not a minor. A minor is anyone under the age of 18.

CT, IL, ME, NH, NY: These states require a prescription for quantities over 10 syringes. If you order over 10 syringes from these states, we must confirm your prescription.

DE, NJ, and the United States Virgin Islands: These states require a prescription to order syringes. If you order from one of these states, we must confirm your prescription. <LINK REMOVED>

Here is another resource on state laws for the purchase of insulin and insulin syringes which states whether or not states laws support pharmacists selling you needles.

2) Purchase them from a pharmacy in person - There are two ways of doing this, with a prescription, and without a prescription. Some states mandate that you have a prescription if you are buying more than 10 needles, other states will not allow you to buy needles whatsoever without a prescription, and yet others leave it up to the pharmacist's discretion, which can make it difficult to buy them, even if your state doesn't explicitly require a prescription, the pharmacist may require it.

The important thing to remember is that perseverance is always going to help you, and that some pharmacists will sell them to you (unless you are unfortunate enough to live in New Jersey, Delaware, or the U.S. Virgin Islands). For instance, in another state I don't live in, I have gone to a CVS which has sold to me if I asked the pharmacy technician, but if I asked the pharmacist, they refused to sell them to me. In the state I live in, CVS pharmacists always require a prescription. In yet another state I have visited, the CVS pharmacist didn't ask any questions and sold me exactly what I wanted. This is just an example of how one chain pharmacy has had many different instances where they have, or have not sold me needles.

3) Needle Exchanges - You can visit a needle exchange location or schedule an at-home delivery service with a needle exchange. There are also vans which will travel around set locations within a major city so users can meet up with the van on the street. This way some people will feel more comfortable with frequenting a needle exchange.

Locations Thread
Locations in North America
Exchange Discussion

How much do needles cost?​
This varies wildly depending on where you live, and where your needles are being purchased from. You can go to an online pharmacy that exists outside of the United States for a cheaper price than going to the pharmacy. Whereas, other websites will charge more than what you could pay at some pharmacies.

Pharmacy prices vary depending on where you live. In New York City (thank God I don't live here) they are commonly sold for $5.00 per ten pack (maybe slightly under that depending on what brand you are buying). In another city's pharmacy, they are roughly half that price.

Online, I typically see the prices range depending on how many 100 count boxes you are buying at a time. And, depending on the website, whether or not you have to pay a S&H fee. The best vendors will have free S&H, either for all purchases, or for all purchases over a certain total dollar value.

Legal Information by State

California

Last edited by a moderator:
Insulin Syringe Vendors

How to get needles:

Go to google. Search for "insulin syringe".

Last edited by a moderator:
Directory

Benzodiazepines Solubility in Water
This thread lists the water solubility of benzodiazepines and Z-drugs, including with instructions on how to utilize the information.

Case Studies (It could happen to YOU...)
This thread depicts real life injection/drug use complications, and the effects that it had on the patient in question.

How to Get Needles Mega Thread
This thread is a resource for how to get insulin syringes, and what the laws are regarding how you can acquire them within the United States.

Inactive Ingredients A to Z
This thread examines inactive ingredients and their properties in tablets and other medications.

Injection; IV Complications and Information MEGATHREAD and FAQ II
This thread highlights proper injection guidelines, and possible outcomes of improper injection technique, and injection complications are discussed here.

IV Buprenorphine/Antihistamine FAQ
This thread analyzes the risks/rewards of combining antihistamines with buprenorphine for intravenous use.

IV Product Review Thread
This thread allows injecting drug users to examine injection products (needles, syringes, harm reduction supplies of all kinds) while also listing suppliers and prices, along with subjective ratings.

Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ
This thread is a step-by-step guide for the use of micron filters and their use in preparing solutions for IV injection, including pictures and a brief Frequently Asked Questions section.

hey they have needle exchanges in Wilmington de and there super cool no leos waiting around the corner waiting to bust you or anything like that... they have the best selection of rigs to choose from and excellent staff in there .... in the wilm area call BCCS or google it with wilm de in the search and there site should have all the spots an times where needle exchange is at ... lol i remember when i would drive up in my porsche to cop needles i felt sooo awkward ... its hard to get works in de caus either u need a script to get works out of the pharm .... and the street junkies want $5.00 per work ...helps this helps for peeps in DE

Awesome post Captain. My exact words when I buy needles is this:

"Hi, I need a box of B&D Slimline 31 gauge 1/2CC short tips"

That's all I have to say and bam, they sell them to me. If they give me any shit I just say that my dog is diabetic and that I have to give em his medicine. If they get smart and ask what you give him just reply:

"I give him 15 units of Humalog in the morning and 40 at night after he eats"

That usually shuts em right up and they sell em to ya. Good luck everyone!

Where can i find luer lock needles? Have only found gpzservices but they don't ship to Sweden.

Good job Captain, I don't have much computer time right now but I'm gonna add some stuff later on when I get a chance.

I have to add that in Finland you get free gear just by asking. Those places are listed in the healthcare section of your countys website and in Päihdesäätiö website. Most places give you a starter pack at first and then you need to bring back your used needles or syringes in order to prevent them ending up in parks or other places where kids happen to play.

Opening times for needle changing places happen to vary in each county but in generally ER handles out pack of fews if you are in need when those places are not open.

Edit:
Remember to discard your needles safely. I happened to work as a cleaner when I was in high school and always wore protective gloves when emptying public places thrash cans after getting an shot by discarded needle on bathroom. Luckily I did not get any disease.

Awesome post Captain. My exact words when I buy needles is this:

"Hi, I need a box of B&D Slimline 31 gauge 1/2CC short tips"

That's all I have to say and bam, they sell them to me. If they give me any shit I just say that my dog is diabetic and that I have to give em his medicine. If they get smart and ask what you give him just reply:

"I give him 15 units of Humalog in the morning and 40 at night after he eats"

That usually shuts em right up and they sell em to ya. Good luck everyone!

the only time the parmacist gave me any sort of problems ie "what kind of insulin do you you?" giving me the ol' eyeball. i simply said "good thing the sobeys(grocery store) next door has a pharmacy, eh?" and walked out the door

Last edited:
hello all, how are u Captain Hammer?

I know the states have got a fairly ordinary health care system,basically none at all unless insured. Correct me if im wrong.. Although im not an intraveinous drug user, i have done intramuscular injections alot of times..

In Australia the needle exchanges offer everything needed for safe injecting at absolutely no cost.. No compulsary returns,and in large volumes too.( ive picked up 40 x 19 g and 40 x 23 needles and 40 x 3or 5 ml vials with no dramas.all they ask is age,DOC and a post code ... Nothing else

Almost all pharmacies offer sharps kits,used for diabetic or illicit purposes for free.

Its hard to practice safe injection w clean needles when your asked to pay for them ,or at leaxt its another pressure or factor in harm minimisation.

In Brisbane,population 1. 3million,the exchanges hand out 180 000 needles per month.shows the volume or the extent that if having to purchase would have on the spread of disease and infection...

What a country....

In Scotland, needles are free.

Quite a lot of needle exchanges in edinburgh, and available in a lot of pharmacies, including the major ones (Boots, etc...).
Throughout Scotland I'm sure the main service that provides needles is Turning point; www.turningpointscotland.com
They have several units dotted all over the country; they can also help with things like getting off drugs, counselling and the likes.

Never been a needle user, but have accompanied people to get needles.

Although, there's still these idiots who use dirty needles, knowing that clean ones are easily available. I remember seeing one moron actually stick his hand into a sin-bin, which was full of dirty needles that several people had used, pick a random needle out and have a hit - turning point wasn't even a 5 minute walk away.

the only time the parmacist gave me any sort of problems ie "what kind of insulin do you you?" giving me the ol' eyeball. i simply said "good thing the sobeys(grocery store) next door has a pharmacy, eh?" and walked out the door

I always used the 'my dog is diabetic' story. What you need to do is prepare yourself to answer questions. When do you give the dog the insulin? You say 'right after he eats'. You say this because the insulin has to be given when they eat, and you can't just make your dog eat so it has to be given after you know he eats.

Where do you give him his insulin? You pick up his scruff on his neck and inject him there. How much do you give him? 15 units in the morning and 40 at night usually. What kind? Rapid-acting Humalog obviously, if they get to this point I usually laugh and say that you really need to be going and they'll sell em no problems.

Remember when you go in you are basically acting, and you have to be a character that is doing something perfectly legal, so you don't want to be quiet or scared or embaressed, go in and look the tech right in the eyes and say exactly what I said in my post. Do not look at the ground or shuffle your feet, that kind of body language shows that you are planning to do something illegal with them.

I usually ask them in a real loud voice if they have any off-brand needles because you are trying to save money. Talking that loud shows that you are not worried about what you're doing and will show them that you are not worried about what they think. If they start asking you questions look them straight in the eyes and answer them in a casual manner.

All in all, you just have to be confident in yourself and remember to smile and say hello, being polite is the best way to get anything done, and remember, you're doing this for your dog, so don't take no for an answer!

I cop my shit in Detroit and I tell you what, I can go to any pharmacy in the suburbs and nobody hassles me about buying a bag of rigs without a prescription even though my girl tryed at a lot of the same places and they wouldn't sell em to her for some reason (Some places only sell boxes now instead of bags though), but if i cross over into Detroit, I haven't found a pharmacy yet that would sell them to me. Racial Profiling anyone? Can't I be white and diabetic in Detroit without being there to buy drugs? I guess not....

I always used the 'my dog is diabetic' story. What you need to do is prepare yourself to answer questions. When do you give the dog the insulin? You say 'right after he eats'. You say this because the insulin has to be given when they eat, and you can't just make your dog eat so it has to be given after you know he eats.

Where do you give him his insulin? You pick up his scruff on his neck and inject him there. How much do you give him? 15 units in the morning and 40 at night usually. What kind? Rapid-acting Humalog obviously, if they get to this point I usually laugh and say that you really need to be going and they'll sell em no problems.

Remember when you go in you are basically acting, and you have to be a character that is doing something perfectly legal, so you don't want to be quiet or scared or embaressed, go in and look the tech right in the eyes and say exactly what I said in my post. Do not look at the ground or shuffle your feet, that kind of body language shows that you are planning to do something illegal with them.

I usually ask them in a real loud voice if they have any off-brand needles because you are trying to save money. Talking that loud shows that you are not worried about what you're doing and will show them that you are not worried about what they think. If they start asking you questions look them straight in the eyes and answer them in a casual manner.

All in all, you just have to be confident in yourself and remember to smile and say hello, being polite is the best way to get anything done, and remember, you're doing this for your dog, so don't take no for an answer!

This is excellent advice, I have been thinking to myself, what if they do start asking questions when youre getting some rigs? Thanks for saving me the legwork!

I hope I'm not violating any BLUA but linking to these sources, I don't think I am, but I'm included 2 links for different sources regarding laws on a state by state basis.

I didn't compare each state in these documents but I wanted to included 2 sources since neither posted the date of their data so I didn't know how current it was (or at least it was not easy to find the date).

Probably the best and most comprehensive about RX law, paraphernalia laws, SEP and lots of other good information. This was a study done by Temple University Law School. I didn't notice a date so I can't vouch for how current it is. In relation to MA, it lists the current laws. I point this out because I live in MA and the law changed here in 2006ish.

http://www.temple.edu/lawschool/phrhcs/otc.htm

http://www.temple.edu/lawschool/phrhcs/map.htm
(This contains similar data but it's reformatted and you simply click on the state in question)

Below is a chart from another source that I copied and reformatted slightly so that it would read a little easier. I couldn't find the date nor the original source for the material so I'm omitting the link. However it is commonly referenced when you do a simple search.

Do I need a prescription to get insulin or syringes?

In all states new, insulin analogs DO require a prescription. These include Humalog, Novolog, or Apidra, as well as Lantus.

Note 1 for chart below: Older insulins such as regular (R) do not need a prescription except in Alaska. The chart below only specifies if older insulins require a prescription.

States that require a prescription for insulin and/or syringes

State | Insulin | Syringe | Notes

Alabama No No
Alaska Yes Yes Some pharmacies may sell either without an RX
Arizona No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX
for both.
Arkansas No No
California No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX
for both.
Colorado No No Even though permitted, some pharmacies require an RX
for both.
Conn. No Yes Residents mat get a 10-day supply of syringes without
an RX.
Delaware No Yes
D.C. No No No for syringes if you have a diabetes mellitus ID if
syringes are purchased with insulin.
Florida No Y/N Some counties may require an RX for syringes;
most do not.
Georgia No No
Hawaii No Unknown
Idaho No No Photo identification may be required for syringes.
Illinois No No You do need a prescription to purchase more than 20
syringes at one time.
Indiana No No You must sign a register for the purchase of syringes.
Iowa No No
Kansas No Y/N Most pharms will sell syringes if they are being
purchased with insulin.
Kentucky No No
Louisiana No No
Maine No Yes
Maryland No No You must sign a register for the purchase of syringes.
Mass. No Yes
Michigan No No
Minnesota No No Some pharms may require a Rx for insulin that has
unlimited refills
Mississippi No No
Missouri No No
Montana No No
Nebraska No No
Nevada No No
N.H. No No
N. J. No Yes Requirement for an Rx for syringes may be waived with
photo id.
N.M. No No
New York No No Pharms can dispense up to 10 syringes at their
discretion w/o a Rx but you must be 18 years or older.
N.Carolina No No
N. Dakota No No
Ohio No No
Oklahoma No Y/N Some local areas may require an Rx for syringes.
Oregon No No
Penn. No No As of Sept 09, no Rx necessary. (Thanks Mora Fiend)
Rhode Is No No
S Carolina No No
S Dakota No No
Tennessee No No
Texas No Y/N Some regions may require an Rx for syringes.
Utah No Y/N Some pharms will require an Rx for syringes and some
pharms may refuse to sell syringes after 10 p.m. even
if you have a prescription on file.
Vermont No No
Virginia Y/N No
Wash No No
W Virginia No No
Wisconsin No No
Wyoming No No

Last edited:
Thanks, I updated it.

Just a general FYI for syringe buying newbies (this isn't limited to syringes): the pharmacists can and will deny you sale of anything if they feel like it. They don't need a real reason, it's just simply "pharmacists discretion". Maybe someone flipped him or her the bird this morning, he/she could take it out on you trying to buy needles and deny you the sale. Point is, just bc the law says you don't need an Rx doesn't mean that's how the pharmacists will run his or her pharmacy on any given day.