Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Kanna 5x) First time

Pothedd

Bluelighter
I ordered Kanna. I was intrigued to its use as a sedative, but found the effects to be quite contrary.

4:06pm
Just snorted a small line of Kanna (5X).
I imagine that is a 5 times extract coating powdered plant matter.
In the bag it looks very finely powdered, but when dumped out it resembles extremely tiny beads.
I concluded it was ground well enough for my liking and railed it, whatever dose IT may be. I'm sure it wasn't a lot.
I'm just recovering from some kind of sickness that greatly affected my sinuses, and now my nose wants to continue running... Terrible... In the mornings I have been blowing traces of blood, so I'm sure my membranes were already irritated. The kanna caused some intense pain because of this fact, but just for a little bit. Now I have the urge to continuously wipe my nose though. I feel like blowing it but I don't want this dose to be in vain.

4:11
My nose isn't going to stop running. I'm going to have to blow it... Damn...
4:13
Gross... Brown and nasty... My nose may not have been the best method of ingestion right now. I didn't notice much effect, but I didn't leave it in my nose long enough. It didn't curb my hunger, as I was hungry right before, and I'm still hungry right after. Think I'm going to eat, then maybe try a different form of ingestion...
4:16 Side Note: It smells like a pet store...
I have to keep blowing my nose now. This wasn't one of my better ideas. Normally it may have been an alright way to take this, but with my nasal problems it's not.

It's 8:32 now.
I just stopped writing the trip report after about 4:20. Felt like I had better shit to do. I ate, put a... "pinch" of kanna under my tongue, (I actually just poured the baggy until i felt stuff hitting the flesh under my tongue. When I pulled the bag away about half my gram was gone. o.0 Oops.), and went to the gym. I just got a membership and I haven't exercised in years.
Since the kanna was so well powdered it didn't stay under my tongue for long. I swallowed the spit though. The kanna tasted like salty cocoa, not entirely unpleasant, though it smelled like a farm animal. I rinsed my mouth with Pepsi before entering the gym, so there was caffeine thrown in there.
After about a half hour of working out, maybe more, my muscles were spent and I just did some fast-paced cardio on the bicycle machine. Got my heart rate almost to 170, which was what the chart suggested for a 20 year old's cardio workout (I'm 21). I was a bit dizzy as I left the gym, but it felt good to have my heart rate up from something that wasn't entirely drug induced.

Once I left the gym I drove. Just drove into the hills, past fields and vineyards, singing along with my ipod. I felt good. Able. For the first time in a long time. Attributed to the Kanna and the vigorous workout.
When I got to where I was going (I have no idea where that was. I just went south until I felt that I should probably head back.) I parked. It was a deserted road next to a vineyard.
I packed a bowl of some cannabis, pulling from a bag that had a sativa and an indica in it, but I'm fairly certain mainly indica remained. I could be wrong though. I sprinkled some kanna on top.
Kanna-bis. It wasn't bad at all. The kanna bubbled and hardened like hash, the way most chemicals in powder form would behave. After a few hits I thought I might as well leave it at that and see how I feel.
It was nice. I hit the road and headed back home.

Now I'm back. It's 8:43. I took a shower and am comfortably in my room.
Kanna was nice for a first try, despite the terrible ways of ingestion.
Tomorrow morning I may simply brew a cup of "Tension Tamer" tea and sprinkle in the rest of my kanna along with a bunch of honey and sugar (just how I like it), then savor each mouthful of tea to try and allow sublingual absorption as much as possible.

That was typed yesterday. I'm thinking of making tea now. Should I bother with this or should I just continue smoking the Kanna on my cannabis?

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for Kanna for some reason. It is a very mild experience but it helped me through a difficult time in life. Thanks for the report :)

I'm glad someone cared enough to read it.
Anyway I made that tea today. I tried to swish it around my mouth as much as possible, but it was a big glass, so it was pretty much oral dosage. It caused some nausea at first, from the large glass of tea I'm sure, but normally the tea wouldn't make me nauseous without the kanna added.
It's not nearly as stimulating as my first attempt. Plus I've been smoking kanna on some indica for the past couple hours. Just a hit once in a while, but it makes for a very sedate experience. I just chilled and played Black Ops (PS3) on the new zombie map for... a long time. Hours it seems.
I have to get sleeping soon though for work in the morning. I took some valerian root and dramamine to facilitate this.
Goodnight Bluelight. Sweet dreams.

Oh yea, speaking of dreams, last night they were not enjoyable at all. Very depressing dreams.
If the same thing happens tonight I will have to blame the kanna, but I feel that the dramamine may hinder my ability to recall my dreams. I hope so.

Yes I also find that valerian root helps me relax and fall asleep. Have you ever tried Kava before? Just wondering....

I haven't. I've tried kratom and kanna out of the "K" plants. I'm quite interested in Kava as well, since I've been seeking an herbal remedy for anxiety and insomnia.
So far valerian root is far too weak, and I must mix large amounts of dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine with it to sleep in time for work in the mornings.
If anyone knows a good vendor for Kava let me know.

The reason I asked you about Kava is because it does wonders for my anxiety issues. I only started to have anxiety issues after getting off of my low dose xanax I was prescribed. During benzo w/d kava produces a light, floaty feeling that is like natures version of a benzo.
Kava is to benzos as kratom is to opiates IMO.

I did enjoy kratom, though parachuting 10 bombs was not very fun. Left me bloated and nauseous.
When the kratom kicked in I felt very nice, and should have used that period to sleep. Instead I just enjoyed the high and had trouble sleeping after the peak wore off.
I should order some kava though... As a sleep aide how does it fare? So far kanna was stimulating my first try and sedating on the second go, but still didn't help me sleep at all. As an anxiolytic it was tops however.

To be honest kava doesn't really help me fall asleep. I could see where a person not addicted to coffee might get a good sleep after a dose though :)

I've found that kanna gives me a mild energy thoughout the day. I dab a bit on my finger and eat it. Its very mild, but my mood lifts a bit and i find myself working and forget to eat (which is rare). It definitely shuts down my appetite for a long time.

Nice report. Been reading up on this one lately to see if it's worthwhile. Keep us posted if anything big happens with it :)

I completely ran out of Kanna after my tea. I poured the rest into it. This caused some nausea, and left me quite sedate for the remainder of the day.
I have a bit of sticky bits of kanna left that I can add to a bowl. When I took a hit out of my Kanna resinated pipe I was instantly stoned as shit. Like extreme downer weed. It was great but a lot more effective than I expected.
It seems that the first day was a fluke, or attributable to the insufflation and sublingual ingestion of the kanna. Though I didn't leave it in my nose for long I was quite stimulated following the sublingual administration and workout, complete with mild teeth grinding and chattering when the music was powerful.
I ordered more from another vendor, but after placing my order I've received numerous emails from "DHL" and "FedEx" that were undoubtedly scam/spam messages (they always contained a zip file that contained an exe file, trying to infect me with a virus but I have a mac so I wasn't worried).
I suspect that the site I purchased from is a scam and that I will never receive my second batch of kanna. I'm kinda pissed about that but whaddya gonna do.... I'm surprised they didn't take all the money I had on my card, and just enough to cover the cost of my "order."
The first site I ordered from was legit and had my kanna delivered within 2 days...

Hmmm...veddy interesting! And helpful. I'll definitely keep researching before spending a dime.

I know what you mean about the vendors. My experience with online buying has been really mixed--either they bend over backwards to make me happy or send crappy product two weeks late and get an attitude about it. Meh.

Ive had pretty similar experiences with Kanna, i would say the reason why you felt it was stronger further into the week is it's reverse tolerance effect, i.e. the more you smoke or snort the stronger and less youll need next time. I tried snorting it at first, it gives a small buzz but the effects change alot when i smoke it, not a rush but much more sedate. Keep putting a small amount on your bowl for a few weeks and you'll notice itll get better and better. Eventually you will just need a tiny pinch, i love the stuff really its great. Also i prefer what it does when smoked and it feels like you need less.

I might try and smoke it going on your post Tyd. Maybe it is your description of how much better smoking it is, or it could be that your avatar is Hendrix :)

Definitely stronger smoked. Also the fact that I prefer 100% indica must make a difference.
I take one hit of my pipe and I'm good for an hour or so, while it would take the whole bowl by itself to last just as long.
Also the more it sizzles the more effective it is. Normally I DESPISE resin, and don't resin hit my pipe, but now it's kanna and cannabis resin combined and has much stronger effect than resin alone ever would.

Interesting and thanks Pothedd. One of my friends describes Kanna as nature's own SSRI...he only likes/takes nature made things.

I shared it with a few friends, two who have tried it before and one who hadn't. The two who had didn't notice much effect from it this or their other time using it.
The one who hadn't used it before didn't know if it was doing anything.
We all put it in our lips like dip and smoked it on some bowls.
The fellow who had never tried it spit it out after a while, said he swallowed about half of it too but complained it was like sawdust in his lip.
Is there any way to make it more comfortable, less dry, or more likely to dissolve? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, how effective is a tincture compared to plant matter alone? How well would the powdered plant matter dissolve in alcohol? And would I be able to dissolve a lot of matter into a small amount?
It seems that nasal and sublingual administration are the most stimulating, with oral and smoked being more sedating.
Caffeine works better on me as well when Kanna's involved. Normally it has little to no effect besides the negative (racing heart, anxiety, twitchiness).

Just try different vendors, preparations, and ROAs until you find out what works right for you. Ethnobotanicals tend to be very hit-and-miss. What works great for one person may not work at all for the next. Experimentation is part of the fun!