Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Nucynta 100mg) -Inexperienced: Knocked my ass out

halfoz

Bluelighter
i'm a legitimate chronic pain patient recovering from massive lower extremity injuries due to a high speed frontal impace. Was just prescribed Nucynta (tapentadol) @ 100mg 4x days.

also on 2.5mg k-pins, 30mg lexaprol for mood regulaton, and keppra and lunesta for sleep.

my pain inreased dramatically over the course of a week's worth of physical therapy, because they
ve been weaning me down my Oxycontin to an almost impossible-to-percieve level lo these 5 months past knee reconstruction surgery..

I bust my ass in therapy every day, to the point of total exhaustion, and lately my pain has been skyrocketing to about an 8-9 (i assumed to opiod tolerance) the docs finally showed mercy and prescriped this new med called Nucynta (tabapentol).

And wow, I kve no recollection of anything that happened last night- extremely similar to Ambien that way.

It was so fast acting and intense that i couldnt take my sleepmeds or most importantly, Keppra.

So just now I woke up on the sofa. TV on, lights on, you name it.

Now I'm not saying this was a bad thing, just that this is how it was: deep, extremely restful sleep

I've been on my tapering dose of Ocycontin (20mg 2x/day) Only time will tell how well Nucynta works, but right now, its awesome.

Side effects include: extremely rapid response, amnesiac qualities similar ambien, uncrontrolled narcolepsty and consion upon awakening).

Concerns are around safety. I abused every drug known to man: oxys, hydros. pregabalins, every Benzo aND Z'drug avaiable in the US, coke, crack, a long long love affair with meth, LDS, Shrroms, Flexeril, Addera; Ambien alcohol - but only when i was in college (alcohol grosses me out) you name.

And short of being induced into anaesthic (which i have been repeatedly due to my injury) nothing has stopped me dead in my tracks like Nuncyta.

I woke this morning feeling stumbly-hungover. Its been a bitch to kick. I'm not craving it, I don't need to shoot it or rail it, but I'm still not fully recovered.

Luckily I've got 98 more of these babies, plus a bunch of weak ass xlonopins, amitrytiline,etc

if you were NOT in legitimate chronic pain, I would strongly encourage you not to seek it out.

In fact, you should do as I have done and consulted with a real doctor before you go diverting or off-label treating drugs.

it is a fool who listens when another fool speaks.

I'll be able hopefully to walk again within 6-9 more months without excuciating pain. If you've got it worse than me, then you're prolly already getting non-artificial pain meds. If you don;t have it worse than me, please, don't go down my path. it'll be hard explain to parents, wife, kid why you passed out at the dinner table.

good luck,

k_w

Last edited:
I fixed the title of your report to fit into our trip report guidelines and gave it an easy to read heading. Thanks for sharing.

funny, i was helping my GF last night with some drug looks ups for her nursing assesment thing and as i was reading through the book looking for topamax, i found tapentadol....i had never heard of it before.

what is the feeling like? im going to have to add this to the list along with ketobemidone and micomorphine among others

feeling is like taking your triple knockout dose of xanax combined with about 50,g of oxy xr.

Not unpleasant. but man, what a hangover.

this is a drug that should NEVER be taking while driving.

Its definitely worth trying, although i have no idea how to get it. For me i was in screaming agony after two knee surgeries. It then took me 6 more months of begging for help before they decided- finally- that i wasnt making up the pain.

best of luvk to you. Its still nowhere near morpine for good-feeling-ness. but for a pill, high;y recommended

have you ever taken tramadol? id like to know how the subjective effects compare.

i have taken tramadol and never felt that it had much of an effect on - but then again, i've never before been this seriously injured

halfoz, fascinating that you had such a powerful reaction. After taking 2x20mg Opana ER and 4x7.5/325 Percocet for perhaps a month or so, and long-term relatively equianalgesic opioid therapy before that, I was given 3x75mg Nucynta as a replacement for the Opana and eventually the Percocet as well. Desperate to get some pain relief, I could take one, two, five, six, however many Nucyntas at once and not even get relief from withdrawal -- let alone that pain relief. In fact, I felt that some withdrawal symptoms -- the shakes/jitters, sweating, high heart rate, aches -- were even worse after dosing with however much Nucynta.

The norepinephrine reuptake inhibition associated with tapentadol may have been responsible for that reaction. As I recall, such unpleasant stimulant-like side effects have been a relatively common complaint amongst pain patients for this drug. One of the supposed benefits of tapentadol compared to proper opioids is a lesser likelihood of sedation. Lucky you, I guess ;)

Following my few weeks with tapentadol, I've had comparatively much more favourable ongoing experiences with tramadol. I was even able to catch a nod with just tramadol, and can still do so on occasion when combined with carisoprodol. Personally, I'd take tramadol over tapentadol any day - though for pain relief, I find them both to be quite shat. I actually even turned down a charitable donation of Nucynta just recently. hah.

Best of luck healing up mate

Interesting, this drug affects you in almost the ooposite way as me and most others. I found the SNRI effects almost on par with its opioid action. It certainly is vastly superior to tramadol, but I found the stimulation off putting, and it couldn't compete with its other CII brethren. I was shocked after taking it that it was schedule II. Lucky you indeed.....

i have a followup to my Nucynta report.

yesterday i was in physical therapy (i do 8hrs of PT 3 days per week - its an intense amount of stress and exercise, even if i wasn't injured) and was really hurting. more than normal.

i work through a lot of pain, but this was too much. So i asked the nurse to expedite having my refill processed. I then went over to the on-location pharmacist and he gave me a loaner Nucynta until he could get the full bottle refilled.

if i had a doubt, Nucynta erased them. I could literally feel the pain withering away. Downside is... no euphoria at all. But for pain, 100mg Nucynta feels like 40mg of OC.

did seem to cause some insomnia though.

So it feels kind of like a stimulant like tramadol does? If it is so lacking in euphoria I wonder why it is Sch. II in the states..

well, i just took 500mgs at once, which is 5x the single maximum dose. ate it with food, and am starting to feel my ears warm up, getting a little itchy, but definitely no euphoria. bummer.

I have a near limitless free source of Nucynta, and I actually just took 100mg. In the past month I've come off a 2 year Opiate habit in which I peaked at about 60mg Oxy/day. Nothing crazy, but a habit nonetheless.

Seriously, Nucynta sucks. I have no idea why this is a Schedule II drug. Can anyone shed some light? I can literally get these FREE any time I want and I have no desire to ever take them again.

I could take 5mg of Oxy and get more profound euphoria than this crap. I've taken Nucynta 5 times, in addition to the complete lack of euphoria, it also tends to give me a migraine.

:p:p:p

Oh, and I actually do have chronic backpain.

Doesn't do a damn thing for that, either. 800mg of Ibuprofen works better. If it works for TC, I'd say he's in the minority from everything I've seen. Most don't like it (I mean, don't feel anything from it).

Nucynta will fuck you up good and feels like an opiate. But its not nearly as good as the others for getting high. And from what I hear great for pain. Its definitely not weak...

Hey all , Newbie here to site and to all this really . Got a few questions for you all . First off I am on alot meds for pain .
Heres a list of what I take and then my questions .
1) Oxycontin 60 mg 3xs a day
2) NUCYNTA 100 mg 4xs a day
3) Gabapentin 600 mg 3 xs a day
4) Clonazepam 2mg 1 x a day
5) Ambien 10 mg 1 x a day
Ok w/o going into too much detail , I dont take hardly any of this stuff . Been prescribed it for nearly 4 yrs . My Pain Doc just took me off Percocetts 10/325 8 a day and she put me on the NUCYNTA. I might have taken 50-80 percs a MONTH and maybe 3 -4 Oxys a MONTH . Since i dont like taking pills i try not to take them until i cant stand the pain anymore . I have a high tolerance to pain .

Ok my question is if the percs gave me energy will the NUCYNTA also ?
Next question what would mix well with the Nucynta ? Sounds like a stupid question I know but i been reading posts here and sounds good to me . When I do take a Oxy it rocks my world for basically 24 hours roughly , Im wondering if i mixed the Oxy with a Nucynta would the Nucynta give me the energy but get really high from the oxy . Im kinda trying to avoid the Nod part not completely but looking more for the euphoria . Sorry if this doesnt make sense im kinda fucked up now on some percs and few cold ones . One last thing I also have Morph sulfate 40 mg and 60 mg these may work better with the Nucynta ? What dose would be good starter since I just got prescribed the Nucynta ?

Thanks for any help even though this probably doesnt make any sense .

First post here so hello all.

I am a upper bi-lat amputee with 50% 3rd and 4th degree burns from a high voltage accident.
Whoever said, "STOP, DROP AND ROLL" has never been on fire before. It turns into, "OHH, SHIT AND RUN" in a hurry.

Anyway, used to be on Oxy - 80mg/day and reduced to to only taking MSIR 60mg/day. New doctor and he would like me to try this Nucynta.
I know its wrong (o_0) but I like the buzz that the MSIR gives me in addition to pain relief. So I'm concerned about the effects of this new drug.
Question, for those experienced only please, 'should I make the switch?'

Thanks all,
Onion

Hands down without a doubt Tapentadol is the WORST drug I've ever been prescribed!! A cpl years ago, my pain spec finally conceded there was a new med approved. Not a weak opiate like codiene, but not strong like oxy. Only place I could locate one box was a hospital pharmacy.

All, I could find online at that stage were reports Tapentadol was likened to tramadols "big brother", so I took one..nothing, another..nothing, another..nothing.

*must mention I have a very high tolerance to opiates/opioids. Later that night my pain was increasing still, so I took another two.

No sleep that night, just shitty weird noradrenalin effects & a severe headache,(that continued for days)!

Next day severe feelings of derealisation, & I couldn't even trust that the floor was flat. I called for a friend to sit with me, it was bloody scary, & took time to get back to feeling normal.

Not if you paid me!

Rtp

I do not recommend taking Nucynta unless you are in need of a heavy muscle relaxing pain reliever and want to pass out. I have a moderate tolerance. I took 1~50 mg and the only reason it helped my pain was because it knocked me the hell out!!! I woke up with a terrible headache. There was no euphoria for me I was told it is like Oxy....which is so far off! It's more like taking big doses of benzos. I'm just glad I was safely home. I do NOT recommend taking nucynta unless you are somewhere you can safely pass out if it effects you like it did me.