Doing drugs in private. Neighbors/roomates spying?

tablehead

Bluelighter
I have a slight suspicon of my neighbors and my roomates who are friends. Spying on me from their garage roof, which is like a balcony. And a possible peep hole in my room. My window is very easy to see in and they get the perfect angle from the roof top. I was under the impression that doing your drugs in your private room which does not bother or effect anyone was basically legal, basically because the drugs arent but your in a private spot.

If they are spying on me and seeing me do drus can they report me? Wouldnt they be basically admitting to a far more seriouse criminal act of invasion of private property rights?

Are you doing some kind of stimulant, like coke, crack, or meth? If so, there is a 99.999% probability that this is all in your head. People are too busy to spy on their neighbors. Have you ever watched someone else for any length of time? Unless they're having sex, nothing could be more boring. Why would they take their time to watch you?

This is a good indication that it's time to stop the drugs you've been doing, and if you can't on your own, to get help.

Do you think I'm on the right track here?

If they are spying on me and seeing me do drus can they report me? Wouldnt they be basically admitting to a far more seriouse criminal act of invasion of private property rights?

I'm fairly positive that you will get in LOTS more trouble than them.
If you don't want them to see what you're doing, make sure they can't see in your room.

I don't have drugs at my place BUT I was hypothetically thinking, what if I had some weed in my room? Okay, my landlord has a habit of coming into my room without permission (which is against the landlord-tenant act, so illegal). BUT if she had seen anything illegal in my room, she could still report it. And I could get in trouble. (Thus why there is no way there is going to be anything illegal in my room!)

Drugs are a bigger deal than privacy

--- this is in Canada anyway. I would presume it would be pretty similar for other places but you'd have to double check ---

either way, I wouldn't be letting your neighbours or roommates or anyone see that stuff

yea just go to a store and buy some black out curtains, or as Mrfaust pointed out crack heads around the world have universally solved this problem with plastic.. haha but remember buddy they cant see you if you crawl under your bed or night stand or just sit on your bedroom floor with a sheet over your head hey if you cant see them they cant see you.. o yea and they are defiantly spying on you :eek:
your neighbors want you soul and your room mate probably just wants your drugs.

yeah, yer tweaking. but its still a good idea to get blackout curtains for your windows.

and note that if you tweaked once about this, you are likely to tweak on it again. and tweaks that potentially involve people- even if they're not really there- can be bad/embarassing/dangerous.

sometimes, when my using buddy was tweaking bad he'd go and check into a hotel room and use. it kept him away from his bugs tweak AND his spying neighbors tweak. (note, there were no bugs and the only the neighbors were was scared).

Are you doing some kind of stimulant, like coke, crack, or meth? If so, there is a 99.999% probability that this is all in your head. People are too busy to spy on their neighbors. Have you ever watched someone else for any length of time? Unless they're having sex, nothing could be more boring. Why would they take their time to watch you?

This is a good indication that it's time to stop the drugs you've been doing, and if you can't on your own, to get help.

Do you think I'm on the right track here?

Have you ever watched someone else for any length of time? Unless they're having sex, nothing could be more boring. Why would they take their time to watch you?
LMAOOOO!! thats so truueeee i laughed so much wen i red that lolllllll

tablehead said:
Wouldnt they be basically admitting to a far more seriouse criminal act of invasion of private property rights?
i'd love to hear more about how looking in a window is "invasion of private property rights"?

alasdair

^ Yeah, if anything the opposite extreme happens.

I believe this was in Texas but I'm not positive as I read this case a couple years ago. Basically a woman was on a walk, looked inside her neighbor's window and he was naked because it was right after dawn and he was getting ready. I think he was making coffee. Anyway, he got charged and convicted with something ludacris like exposing himself.

they can most definitely report you... are drugs legal? no... I mean come on this is ridiculous.

I have a slight suspicon of my neighbors and my roomates who are friends. Spying on me from their garage roof, which is like a balcony. And a possible peep hole in my room. My window is very easy to see in and they get the perfect angle from the roof top. I was under the impression that doing your drugs in your private room which does not bother or effect anyone was basically legal, basically because the drugs arent but your in a private spot.

breaking the law, with respect to controlled substances, doesn't suddenly become legal just because you do it in private. Generally speaking, there is no "invasion of private property" if someone can see you while they are at a place they have a legal right to be. You have a legal right to climb up on your roof. If you choose to do so and witness a crime, then the police have a right to investigate upon your report.

Probably time to invest in some curtains.

While they could report you, there are several reasons why it wouldn't matter, most of them being mentioned above. But a couple more that are likely to prevent anything from happening if they did just to ease your mind.
First off, while this varies depending on location and how busy or active your local PD is, 9/10 the police will take a note and tell your neighbors they'll look into it as soon as possible, but never actually do so. One report from a neighbor is not enough to warrant attention from a department unless they're having a serious problem with their monthly quota or it's a very slow day. Second, and I may be wrong so please correct me if I am, but I don't believe a neighbor claiming you have drugs would ever get a search warrant. If they say they'll get on say OK, come back when you do and close the door and flush/dispose of anything you have while they're fucking around with that. Not sure what the laws are in your state/area but where I live if you refuse a search request it is reasonable suspicion. I don't think many areas have that though, in which case disposing of your shit is completely optional and all they would have is a neighbors word against yours.

Butttt, I would like to know if I'm wrong about a report being enough to get a search warrant, because my neighbors can see into my room pretty clearly and while I have black curtains that I keep closed for the most part, I have slipped up on days where it was nice out and I wanted to let some sun in and I'll need to be a little more careful haha.

Butttt, I would like to know if I'm wrong about a report being enough to get a search warrant, because my neighbors can see into my room pretty clearly and while I have black curtains that I keep closed for the most part, I have slipped up on days where it was nice out and I wanted to let some sun in and I'll need to be a little more careful haha.

Within the context of what we're talking about here, a report is usually not enough in my area. If I went to a judge and asked for a search warrant for someone's home because Joe Schmoe neighbor saw drug activity, I'd be laughed out of the courthouse if I didn't have anything to add. If the location was a place of business or vehicle...maybe. But their house? No way.

Change the neighbor from some average guy to someone with articulable experience, knowledge, and/or training in drug usage; and suddenly I may have a chance, although I still think a slim one.

I think your greatest danger if seen by a neighbor, is that you're reported to the local narc squad. You may then be put on some intel list of names to be mindful of, or something similar.

they can most definitely report you... are drugs legal? no... I mean come on this is ridiculous.

I loved the 'I was under the impression doing drugs at home is basically legal'. I love this thread, i was pretty grumpty until I read it :).

[wooger, please note for the future that serious replies only are allowed in LD. Also, there is no such thing as a stupid question - only stupid answers. Thanks, Johnny1.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one even more outrageous. I live in the Midwest, and across from a primary school (kindergarten/1st graders only). My 89 yr old next door neighbor likes to watch me and my niece when we're out in the back yard mowing or whatever. Oh, did I mention he's in full view in his window, naked and masturbating? The law here says they can't do anything, he can do whatever he wants in the privacy of his home....now THAT just sucks outloud!

I have one even more outrageous. I live in the Midwest, and across from a primary school (kindergarten/1st graders only). My 89 yr old next door neighbor likes to watch me and my niece when we're out in the back yard mowing or whatever. Oh, did I mention he's in full view in his window, naked and masturbating? The law here says they can't do anything, he can do whatever he wants in the privacy of his home....now THAT just sucks outloud!

WTF!? Have you spoken with your DA's office about this? If your laws allow that, then there needs to be some legislative changes. Given the proximity of the school, maybe a Fed agency, such as the FBI's Crimes Against Children group, can advise on how to get some sort of action against this guy.

I'd set up a camera from your yard to get a shot of this sicko in action. If you can't get local LE to help, maybe you'd consider a civil suit. In either case, video evidence would be fairly damning.

Additionally, I applaud your civility for not going next door and handling it "old school," despite the fact that's probably what your neighbor really needs.