• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin vs. Oxycodone - equivalency when insufflated

CaPoNe.

Bluelighter
So ive been searching the internet and conversion tables but cant find a mg per mg conversion ratio for snorted oxycodone to snorted heroin (assuming both were 100% pure).
If anyone could provide an answer it would be much apprectiated.

If you wanted to be cunning you could covert them both to dosages of an opiate where you can find the conversion for (i.e. morphine)

there are plenty of charts that will tell you the equivalency of morphine and oxycodone, as far as insufflated I'm not sure though. that's the problem with Heroin though, sometimes it's cut to all hell and sometimes it's surprisingly potent.

I think it'd be hard to tell with H off the street unless you knew exactly how pure it is.

For snorting OP, you also need to figure out the nasal bioavailability, peak concentration, and time to peak, but I think they will all be relatively the same for these two drugs.

Unsettled your post didnt help answer my question at all all you did was state the already known and I said it was assuming the Heroin was pure so not street heroin.

Well I did some research and found the oral BA to be about 20% and the intranasal BA to be about 60%. So with the chart that Nieghborhood Threat posted it says that 20mg oral oxycodone is equal to 30mg oral heroin. So I did the math and intranasal oxy would be about the same so 20mg and intranasal Heroin would be 10mg, so Heroin is about twice as potent mg per mg when snorted. Does this sound about right?

There might be a slight error in that oxycodone is weaker snorted than eaten but it is masked by a quicker onset. This would mean that heroin is more than twice as potent when snorted. Should be erring on the high side to be safe anyways but be sure to.

When comparing heroin to other opioids through the oral or intranasal routes, look at the morphine conversions. Heroin when taken orally is morphine, they are equipotent because heroin is a morphine prodrug (6-MAM is not even formed through the oral route, and it's only a minor metabolite through the IV route). I think it's the same intranasally (same as oral), but I could be wrong.

^there is a lot of discrepancy in heroin BA numbers I've seen but I believe its ~25-35% orally and ~50-60% intranasally. Oxycodone is listed anywhere from 60% to 87% oral bioavailability and the intranasal is usually listed around 50-60%. Its considered overall slightly less potent intranasally but naturally more subject to abuse due to the speed of onset, intensity of the peak, etc.

Given my understanding of the BA numbers, I'd say roughly 2:1 oxycodone:heroin but considering the cuts in illicit heroin, they'll be close to mg:mg. I've seen many people roughly compare 100mg bags of heroin to 80mg oxy pills.

When comparing heroin to other opioids through the oral or intranasal routes, look at the morphine conversions. Heroin when taken orally is morphine, they are equipotent because heroin is a morphine prodrug (6-MAM is not even formed through the oral route, and it's only a minor metabolite through the IV route). I think it's the same intranasally (same as oral), but I could be wrong.
Deacetylation of heroin into morphine when taken orally occurs during presystemic metabolism which is completely bypassed when taken nasally. So not the same but stronger snorted than eaten. Hence why dope is often snorted :)

Deacetylation of heroin into morphine when taken orally occurs during presystemic metabolism which is completely bypassed when taken nasally. So not the same but stronger snorted than eaten. Hence why dope is often snorted :)

Yeah it's not exactly the same, but morphine is still the main metabolite. 6-MAM plays a very small role IV (6-MAM itself is quickly converted to morphine even when dope is IV'd), so 6-MAM would probably play an even smaller role intranasally. I mean the 2 drugs are essentially the same. Heroin is a morphine prodrug.

^morphine is responsible for most of heroin's effects regardless of route but the increased potency via parenteral or intranasal routes is due to the speed it crosses the BBB due to the acetylation.

^ Exactly Cane! The two acetyl groups act as 'propellers' that propel morphine molecule across the BBB quicker than morphine would on it's own.

^ha, I like that analogy - propellers. It creates an adorable image in my head of junk in little tiny biplanes in the brain =D

^ha, I like that analogy - propellers. It creates an adorable image in my head of junk in little tiny biplanes in the brain =D

LoL! Well have you seen the molecules?

Morphine:

morphine.gif

Heroin:

heroin.gif

They are EXACTLY the same, except for the red part on heroin (which are the 2 acetyl groups) and they look like 'propellers' that 'propel' morphine quicker across the BBB than morphine would without the 'propellers'.

hey guys, a quick questions about post-injection site inflammation. (sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but i figure a post in an existing thread is better than starting a new one).

anyways, almost, but not every time i shoot i get worse than usual sting and swelling around the injection site, even after registering and taking plenty of time during the injection process. i use tar heroin, about 40 units in a 27 gauge syringe. i of course make sure to aim the needle point inwards, but i wonder... does the nasty sting and swelling occur because i'm shooting AGAINST the flow of blood through the vein?

again, sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, i'm just curious as to a possible solution to my post-IV difficulties as i basically use alone and don't really have anyone to compare notes with.

hey guys, a quick questions about post-injection site inflammation. (sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but i figure a post in an existing thread is better than starting a new one).

anyways, almost, but not every time i shoot i get worse than usual sting and swelling around the injection site, even after registering and taking plenty of time during the injection process. i use tar heroin, about 40 units in a 27 gauge syringe. i of course make sure to aim the needle point inwards, but i wonder... does the nasty sting and swelling occur because i'm shooting AGAINST the flow of blood through the vein?

again, sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, i'm just curious as to a possible solution to my post-IV difficulties as i basically use alone and don't really have anyone to compare notes with.

Im not into shooting heroin but I have a few questions. Do you clean the area before shooting? Also, do you use a new needle every time? These 2 steps are very important.