Skrillex? What do you guys think?

hate all you want, he absolutely CRUSHED IT at ultra. He's not my favorite dubstep artist, but he's up there.

lol even Bunny from Rabbit in the Moon dropped one of his tracks at Ultra.

listened to some of his tracks, soundwise good production, music-wise absolute crap (imo)

He is a good producer but I don't like what he plays.
As a DJ, I would never throw his tracks in a dubstep mix

I am new to this type of music. The only other time I listened to anything even relatively similar was when I was young and into MDMA and DNB. But anyways, I really enjoy Skrillex. But hey, I was also a fan of FFTL, the band Sonny was the singer for. I also like Bassnecter alot. Datsik is chill too. But I am a total noob to this music so I am indeed inexperienced.

The usual type of music I listen to though is stuff like The Mars Volta, Coheed & Cambria, Circa Survive, Between the Buried and Me and the like.

Any recommendations?
Whaaaaaaat! Nice, all AMAZING Altie bands. Circa is the best, hard 2nd is Mars. If you like them, you must or prob already do like; Finch, A Perfect Circle, People in Planes, A Day To Remember - Those are just a few bands that sound similar imo. Mmmm, I love alite music....:)

As for DUBSTEP, I tried out a Dub Club recently and TRIED my hardest to enjoy myself, while I was stranded there, but I really...REALLY could not get into it, as hot as the guy I liked was into it, there was no way I could force that bond musically; I need subsatance and dramatic emotion in my music...haha.

EDIT, I totally forgot to add anything relevant to "Skrillex" or w/e the name is, yes it's blasted all over my FB news feed b/c everyone who is just getting into Dub recommends and "loves" this, band? person? DJ?....just....yea....hahaha

Although I must admit, the "Zelda" dubstep remixes (...youtube that sh*t if you EVER played "Zelda" at all as a youngin'...) are AMAZING!

Last edited:
I personally think skrillex is giving electronic music a bad name. When I first listend to dupstep, all I herd was a composition of an unbelievable ammount of unmelodic sounds and I came to realize that it was the 5-10 second drop that's sought after in this music as it secretly the rewards the listener of listening to 5 minutes of total crap. That's just my opinion.

Why is Skrillex so popular? I guess, as a teenager you're seeking after new trends and ways to express this 'loud' nature of yours. So when a guy who looks like a trasnvestite zombie throws a 'tight' name at you like 'skrillex', accompanied with the music that he makes, your head is that far up in the clouds that any sort of crowd-following headbanging beat will receive your approval.

Last edited:
I dont like his sound and I've heard he premixes his live sets, shocking. In my opinion he's like Magnetic Man, dubstep created for the mainstream, bit gay IMO. "Nufags" listen to this trash and think they know dubstep, and then try to preach to me. I hate it. Keep it underground

Note :: I respect Coki pioneered dubstep but magnetic man are shit. I've seen Benga live, and I still dont rate him or Skream.

I've never seen him live but I've heard a few of his tracks dropped at raves I've been to.

It's alright when it one or two songs in the night, but I don't think I could spend an entire night listening to his music. I will say that it definitely does seem to elevate the energy of the crowd on the dance floor though. Some DJ played a bit of Cinema (by Benny Benassi but remixed by Skrillex), it was close to the end of the night. Everyone was hugging and kissing and holding hands during the chorus. It was beautiful :D

I like Skrillex. I dig the way he manipulates vocals and chops up melodies while keeping it cohesive. At first I thought he was too all over the place with different styles but now I like it.
Has his popularity brought about this backlash?

'dubstep for hipsters' is pretty funny and partly true.

dubstep in my opinion is the new 'hard rock'
not really a hipster thing and my hometown is inundated by hipsters
skrillex is some of the dirtiest dubstep too

Skrillex is for raving my face off. Dubstep is my chill music.

^ What do you mean the new "hard rock"?

So you know in the 70's and 80's when guitars started bringing in distortion, power chords and those face melting solos---and it was cool to listen to?
Not all dubstep is like this though, some like Thom Yorks foray into the genre have been lame, alas i digress.
real Dubstep, with bass to rock the trunk in the neighboring car, drops to make your parent's jaw follow--you know--that's the old hard rocks analogue:it's hardcore, cool, and so new

Skrillex is pretty talented, he's what I like to call "electrostep" Dubstep+Electro.

I like SOME dubstep, the more upbeat dubstep, not that just wobble wobble wub wub for 4 minutes straight, he's bringing in something new....

Lets just look at it like this.... Listen to some house from the early 90s and compare it now, stuff evolves, dubstep has changed ALOT (listen to skream and early rusko) and his music is pretty good for partying.... and that's what people wanna do with his music so no need to say his music sucks cause you can't get down to it, just not your thing.

& Also maybe another reason why he's getting all the fame is cause his music is unique!

Skrillex is pretty talented, he's what I like to call "electrostep" Dubstep+Electro.

I like SOME dubstep, the more upbeat dubstep, not that just wobble wobble wub wub for 4 minutes straight, he's bringing in something new....

Lets just look at it like this.... Listen to some house from the early 90s and compare it now, stuff evolves, dubstep has changed ALOT (listen to skream and early rusko) and his music is pretty good for partying.... and that's what people wanna do with his music so no need to say his music sucks cause you can't get down to it, just not your thing.

& Also maybe another reason why he's getting all the fame is cause his music is unique!

His music is not unique. It's generic as fuck. And it is our right to say his music sucks if "we can't get down with it". He isn't even dubstep. He's brostep, and being that you are clearly a deluded skrillex dick sucker, gtfo :p

But seriously, I've seen him live twice. I've seen close to 50 other electronic artists, and he is lame. Like the lamest duck in a crowd of ducks. The one who wears hipster glasses to look cool. The one who cuts his hair oddly to seem unique. The one who queues up his song on ableton and just goes down on dudes the whole concert. That is skrillex. He's getting a lot of fame from people who are new to the scene. Skrillex is a huge cherry popper for kids nowadays. Kids who don't know what electro is.