• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Pins and needles with IV use?

k.dre

Bluelighter
Occasionally I'll get heroin that gives me a pretty intense pins and needles sensation, primarily in my hands. The only other side effect is extreme warmness in my hands. I always get warm all over after I inject, but my hands seem to get even warmer when I get the pins and needles sensation. This only happens when I do a larger shot of heroin.

I did some UTFSE'ing and found that this is because morphine is present in the heroin.

First question - How did the morphine get there? Naturally it's speculation, but what are the possibilities? Could it be from heroin degradation? (ie. old dope, exposed to heat or to some chemical(s), etc.). Could it be from poor manufacturing process? Could it be from using morphine as a cut??

econd question (most important) - Can I prevent this sensation? Sometimes it is really uncomfortable. I mean the rush/high on the other side of the side sensation is intense enough that lowering the dose isnt necessary. Is pins and needles a histamine reaction and I can just take a benadryl before hand to minimize? I don't think it's a histamine reaction.

Thanks -

No one is using morphine as a cut. There were rumors of dope cut with fentanyl going round last year in the north east, but I think that was bullshit too.

Heroin is diacetylmorphine - basically its just morphine that can cross your BBB faster creating more of a rush. There is morphine in heroin like there is morphine in codeine; they are prodrugs. Taking an antihistamine (benadryl or any other one) likely would help but be careful using the sedating first generation ones.

C2tL - So the pins is needles is definitely a histamine reaction?

Occasionally I'll get heroin that gives me a pretty intense pins and needles sensation, primarily in my hands. The only other side effect is extreme warmness in my hands. I always get warm all over after I inject, but my hands seem to get even warmer when I get the pins and needles sensation. This only happens when I do a larger shot of heroin.

I did some UTFSE'ing and found that this is because morphine is present in the heroin.

First question - How did the morphine get there? Naturally it's speculation, but what are the possibilities? Could it be from heroin degradation? (ie. old dope, exposed to heat or to some chemical(s), etc.). Could it be from poor manufacturing process? Could it be from using morphine as a cut??

econd question (most important) - Can I prevent this sensation? Sometimes it is really uncomfortable. I mean the rush/high on the other side of the side sensation is intense enough that lowering the dose isnt necessary. Is pins and needles a histamine reaction and I can just take a benadryl before hand to minimize? I don't think it's a histamine reaction.

Thanks -

Do you use black tar heroin? This is going to naturally contain other heroin metabolites like morphine or 6-acetylmorphine.

When heroin is being processed, it may have left-over acetic acid and morphine. Needless to say, I am not an expert on heroin production, but it is common knowledge that acetic acid is involved in processing morphine into heroin.

Histamine reactions can occur from heroin, as well as paresthesia. I just think it's more intense with morphine by itself.

sometimes with H I get an intense itching of my hands and less commonly my feet as well. This is not to be confused with the pleasant itch you get when you start dabbling with opiates. It's an unbearable, unscratchable itch. I usually take a scouring (sp?) pad to my hands and they end up all red from the rough scratching that ensues but it's the only form of relief. I have always wondered what this is from...

The strange thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes it occurs when I am not using and/or haven't used in a week or more (I get daily methadone but I know it's not from that). It seems to be more of a night thing though which makes me think it's to do with opiates.

sometimes with H I get an intense itching of my hands and less commonly my feet as well. This is not to be confused with the pleasant itch you get when you start dabbling with opiates. It's an unbearable, unscratchable itch.

This sounds somewhat similar to my sensation. Either way it's localized to my hands and feet, though the sensation is significantly less on my feet.

C.H - I don't get black tar, I get east coast powder.

Yea, i heard that pins and needle feeling was from a histamine reaction, but I have also read and experienced the same feeling from accidentally hitting a nerve. In this case the feeling is intense but short and may travel to fingers.

I got the histamine reaction, usually accompanied by redness and swelling from black tar. but its different for different ppl. Best of luck

Yea, i heard that pins and needle feeling was from a histamine reaction, but I have also read and experienced the same feeling from accidentally hitting a nerve. In this case the feeling is intense but short and may travel to fingers.

I got the histamine reaction, usually accompanied by redness and swelling from black tar. but its different for different ppl. Best of luck

Hitting a nerve with a needle, or putting too much pressure on a nerve (imagine falling asleep on your arm until it begins feeling this way) is the same thing, and will go away as soon as you remove the source of pressure. If it doesn't, this would be an indication of nerve injury.

I think when heroin stays in contact for a longer time than needed, it degrades to morphine, which has a stronger histamine reaction than a properly prepared shot. I 'm suspecting that to be the reason (not saying that I am 100% sure, but very likely.)

I think when heroin stays in contact for a longer time than needed, it degrades to morphine, which has a stronger histamine reaction than a properly prepared shot. I 'm suspecting that to be the reason (not saying that I am 100% sure, but very likely.)

Heroin hydrolyzes slowly though, so unless you are taking a considerable amount of time to get your dose filtered and shot, then I doubt this is going to be the culprit.

Have you considered micron filtering? This may remove an inactive ingredient which could irritate your skin/veins. I have seen people have a bad reaction to cuts in the dope, aside from a histamine reaction.

im from ciny ohio and i know for a FACT people cut with morphine as well as fentanyl I have seen it with my own eyes

I have personally ODd on fentanyl dope 3 times (in the pacific NW) and been in a "lab" when it was being done.... its not bullshit

I get the pins and needles in the hand from time to time. I know what you mean by the type that are rather unpleasant, yet temporary, and usually a rather short experience.
I also seemingly ALWAYS get them when utilizing my palm side/backhand.
Logically this makes sense as its the point of penetration, but I would stop and re-administer if it burned at all, or if somehow slipped out.
I really find that this is usually a histamine type reaction/affect, if not being some sort of cut obviously.
I live in SD so the cut here is rarely in my experience of Fentanyl as it's straight from Baja, and is Mexican Poppy based or sometimes imported.
It is rare to see any sort or "china white," but it does flood the Southern Cali scene sometimes, being a light beige/off white powder that does not coagulate or change form as tar does, with only a slight temperature change sometimes. I hate the pins and needles though, sorry for getting off track, lol. Pun not, yet intended!

When I hear pins and needles, I think 'morphine' right away too.

Tar heroin tends to have a pretty large amount of 'raw' morphine in it, as the tar heroin manufacturing process is pretty crude compared to the process used to create heroin powder (#4 at least - I don't know much about #3).

East coast powder heroin likely won't have much morphine in it, but with street dope, who the fuck knows what's in it. That's part of why it's so dangerous.

I did a shot of dope in my foot and it swelled a little at first but now my whole foot is red n tender, will it go away like when a buldge appears from missing on my hand or should i get it looked at? Ive missed before, as ive been doing heroin for years but never really missed in my foot. Maybe antibiotics would help the swelling or something? I just dont want it getting too bad.