• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone starting dose

M

Morphh

I plan on quitting dope, and have never been to a suboxone clinic. My question is, how does the doctor determine what starting dose to put you on, and how frequently you take that dose?

The doctor will decide what dose of suboxone you should be on, based on your addiction. Generally they start you off on way too much, but that's another story. You will need to be in full withdrawal, because taking suboxone too soon will put you into precipitated withdrawal, when the bupenorphine kicks the other opiates off your receptors. Generally you need to wait 24 to 36 hours after your last dose in order to begin a suboxone regiment. The doctor will most likely tell you to take it once or twice a day. Personally using more than you have to is pointless, I'd start off with 2mg, and take more each 15 minutes until the dosage holds you. From there you know what dose to use, and you can slowly work your way down.

Start with 2mg and continue to redose every 15 minutes? That won't be as effective as taking the entire dose at once. Why increase every 15 minutes? There is no point, as Suboxone takes about 45 minutes to kick in so you won't be able to check your pain levels until then before increasing the dose.

At the clinic I go to I had to wait 72 hours because I was switching from Methadone. Once in full withdrawals he starts everyone out at 2mg. A few days later I was asked a bunch of questions about how I felt after being put on it and then increased to 8mg. He does this for everyone he said. So after a week on it he did the same thing, asking how I felt and everything. After a month I was increased to 16mg! Then every couple weeks I'd go in and adjust the dose depending on how I felt. I'm on 4mg. Starting on doses like 8 and 16mg are crazy. All clinics vary, that is just what mine did.

I'd suggest you start on 2mg. See how you feel and the following day if you are still going through withdrawals up your dose to 4mg in the morning. Try that a couple days. In my opinion I think this is a good dose but if you still feel bad go to 8mg the next couple days. I don't see any reason to go above this dose. Doses above it aren't anymore efficient (in my opinion). I know people who take 32mg !!! Crazy. That is the maximum daily dose.

Start with 2mg and continue to redose every 15 minutes? That won't be as effective as taking the entire dose at once. Why increase every 15 minutes? There is no point, as Suboxone takes about 45 minutes to kick in so you won't be able to check your pain levels until then before increasing the dose.
Remember I am talking about the strips which dissolve much faster (minute or less.) My friend just got on them, and I can tell you within 15 minutes he was getting relief. You will have a good idea of whether or not the dosage will hold you after 15, 30 mins at the most. You could just take 8mg or something and know it will work, but nausea can result from taking too much if you aren't accustomed to it :)

Edit: Lol my doctor was the OPPOSITE. He told me that too. He started me off at 12mg, and I wasn't even physically addicted, I got it for the PAWS. Literally took 1mg to work as an anti depressant, so I have a ton of extra. 32mg is freaking insane as well, I tend to think damn pointless. If you really need that much to hold you, you need to be on Methadone in my opinion, you can always switch later. Once you're out of physical W/D I don't think anything over 2mg is useful whatsoever, no difference.

Last edited:
That's true the strips do kick in within 15 minutes. They are much more efficient. I keep thinking about the tablets when I'm on the strips myself. I still think it would be better to take the entire dose at once though. If it doesn't work wait until the following day to increase your dose only because redosing opiates, except for Tramadol, is less effective. You won't get better relief then the first dose you take of the day. Following doses will increase the duration of the opiate. Meaning the following dose will continue to provide you pain relief (by taking it every 4 or 6 or whatever hours) but not as good as the original dose.

That's true the strips do kick in within 15 minutes. They are much more efficient. I keep thinking about the tablets when I'm on the strips myself. I still think it would be better to take the entire dose at once though. If it doesn't work wait until the following day to increase your dose only because redosing opiates, except for Tramadol, is less effective. You won't get better relief then the first dose you take of the day. Following doses will increase the duration of the opiate. Meaning the following dose will continue to provide you pain relief (by taking it every 4 or 6 or whatever hours) but not as good as the original dose.
Yes, I've never had the tablets, but I've heard they can take 10 or more minutes to fully dissolve, which is insane. Oh I'd agree about the redosing thing, but IMO bupe is different. If we were talking recreational dosing, redosing is ineffective. With suboxone however, when it is being used as a blocker, redosing can work quite well. If you take some and aren't feeling better, taking more will help out the W/D immensely. When my friend got on it recently 2mg only made him feel a little bit better, taking another 4mg he wasn't really kicking anymore, so I think with bupe it works different, since you're using it as a blocker. When it comes to recreational usage however, bupe is a whole different drug. Small doses (like 0.5mg) are way more effective, since bupenorphine metabolizes into norbupenorphine. Norbupenorphine is a FULL AGONIST, so if you take smaller doses, there are still opiate receptors left for the norbupe to bind to, creating a VERY nice euphoria. This is atleast my theory, and the theory of many people who take small doses of bupe for euphoria. Captain Heroin and I have discussed it a bunch, and seem to have the same results, as well as many other people. Give it a try if you haven't, once you get stabilized at the low doses, you'll find extreme recreational value to them.

I was saying nothing about whether smaller or bigger doses are more effective. I'm talking about redosing. I agree that there is no reason to go on doses as high as some that they prescribe, like more than 4mg. I get just as much relief from 2mg as I would 8. I've taken all kinds of doses, from 1-16. Never higher than 16. What I was saying is I see no reason to do it every 15 minutes. If your going to redose I think you should wait longer intervals because that way you can check your pain or withdrawal levels for a little bit before deciding to increase your dose. Maybe every 2 hours.

I was saying nothing about whether smaller or bigger doses are more effective. I'm talking about redosing. I agree that there is no reason to go on doses as high as some that they prescribe, like more than 4mg. I get just as much relief from 2mg as I would 8. I've taken all kinds of doses, from 1-16. Never higher than 16. What I was saying is I see no reason to do it every 15 minutes. If your going to redose I think you should wait longer intervals because that way you can check your pain or withdrawal levels for a little bit before deciding to increase your dose. Maybe every 2 hours.
I'm totally serious about the recreational thing, give it a try, you won't be disappointed. It makes sense logically really, being that norbupe is a full agonist, and normally wouldn't have a chance to bind to your receptors with large doses of bupe.

As for redosing, I know what you're saying, but for serious addictions, I think smaller doses just don't hold some people over? I have limited experience with this, because I was not physically addicted when I got sub, and have only seen one person begin using it when they were addicted. I can tell you from what I have heard though, when some people start, it takes HUGE doses to hold them over, and stop their withdrawals. Once you're somewhat stabilized however, I would totally agree that anything over 2mg, seems to be rather pointless. Less is more is the case very often with bupe. As for what you're saying about waiting, I do get your point. However, if you take 2mg and fifteen minutes later have no relief, it is safe to say you will be needing a larger dose. In the case you're in horrible withdrawal, it is logical to assume you will need more, although it would be best to wait if you're starting to feel ok, and there is a chance it just needs more time to kick in

Suboxone Starting Dose

[This is a response to: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=563805]

Okay, to be more specific here's what my purpose is. My goal is to get a prescription for the maximum amount of 8mg suboxone pills possible. NOT because I'm going to be taking large doses at a time, but for ECONOMIC reasons.

I learned that in my area the standard price for the doctor visit is $180. So, I thought, why pay this every month (no insurance)? How can I make one doctor visit sustain me for several months? I'm going to try and get the biggest prescription possible (of 8mg pills of course), and then I will split these into smaller doses (which after trying suboxone several times I've learned 2mg is best for a day).

So, for example, say the doctor puts me on 2 8mg suboxone pills per day. So 16mg x 30 days is 480mg I have total. I'm only going to take a 2mg piece per day, so 480mg / 2mg = 240. This means 1 doctor visit would sustain me for 240 days (or 8 months), which would drastically save me on the cost of doctor visits.

What do I have to say to get the largest prescription possible. It takes about 10 bags per day (snorted) to keep me good, so is this good enough as it is?

Morphh asked "what do I say to my Doc to get the largest script possible" Sometimes just being honest works wonders. Plus *snip* an expensive doctor visit,thats way to much. You guys might have to re-look at your chart and up your meds. I know you can do it!!!!! Peace and play cool and safe...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Plus we don't like to tell you how to con your doctor out of a bigger script.

If you're in withdrawal and don't dose before your intake appointment (per your doctor's instructions) your doctor will prescribe enough, and more than likely, more than enough, Suboxone for you. Be honest with your doctor. They're a Suboxone doctor and know that withdrawals are hell. While some Sub doctors seem greedy (and some are), they're still there to help you out.

Worth repeating: Be honest with your doctor and your doctor will help you get the relief you need and help you on the road to recovery. If they don't, find a new doctor.

I had quite a moderate and expensive addiction to heroin, injecting for about a year (20-50 pounds a day or more), when I got my script finally sorted, they started me on 4mg. Then every day after that, raised me by 2mg everyday, until I reached 18mg I had to take daily. I dont think I needed to be put all the way up to 18mg, as that is quite a high dose. Only reason I kept on asking them to boost it to all the way up to 18 is because i was still rattling from the heroin withdrawals. Pretty much regret that, as I think 8mg-12mg would have been enough.

It all depends on how much heroin/morphine/oxys or whatever opiate you're taking and for how long as to what dose the doc will first prescribe of Suboxone/Subutex. Could be 2mg,4mg,6mg or more if he's sure of how much heroin you've been taking up until you get your script.

Wow, 18 mg is very high, I'd say that's probably past the ceiling effect IME also, at that dose you're probably gonna get some unpleasant side effects. (At eighteen, it would make me very lethargic, and also give me dizziness. Also, a dose that high is going to prolong any future taper. That being said, I had a friend who was on 32 mgs, an insanely high dose IMHO.

12 mgs is more than enough for my needs, although soon I will be beginning my taper; I hope it all goes well for you.

I have been addicted to RX pain pills for the last 10 years....Mainly Norco 10/325..i got clean 12-9-11 and then i relapsed 5-19-13..i have using since may i was up to 10 - Norcos 10/325 ...Taking 10 pills ...2-3 times a day. I have been doctor shopping and calling doctors to call me in RX...I am not proud of it ...but i have developed a pretty good system for getting doctors to call in RX of pain pills. Anyways.....I woke up ans realized i was headed back to the same person i was in 12-11....i did not want to get back to that point...during my sobriety i had started to get my life together again...and i saw it slowly disappearing....I wanted to stop !.....but i knew how hard it was before and i was seriously dreading the W/D's ...I remembered hearing about SUBOXONE...i called and made an appt with a Suboxone MD...i went in this morning for my first dose ...my induction....they told me to not take any opiates 24-26 hours before coming in to take the Suboxone. I knew i could not go that long without experiencing serious W/D's....so when i went in this morning i told them it was over 24 hours ...but it was actually only about 14.....i knew exactly how long before i started exp W/D symptoms...I read it may send you into precipitated WD...but i did not care...i was already feeling alittle achy...my back was hurting and i started having the runny nose....i wanted off the pills....i took the first Sublingual strip ...30 min later I felt amazing...my back still hurt alittle ...but that was it...i actually felt i had a burst of energy....i felt good!...The most important for me was ....I had NO DESIRE to take an opiate,...on the way to the Drs office i was thinking of ways to get another RX and start the Subox another day...i no longer desired the opiate and was even stronger in my conviction to stop using the opiates...I am at 20 hours after my last norco pills...(10-Norco 10/325)...normally...right now i would be miserable...terrible aching....bubble guts...N/V...diarrhea...severe malaise and weakness....depression.....i would be doing anything and everything possible to get another RX and would not stop until i got it...even if it meant illegally...I honestly believe SUBOXONE is a miracle drug...i know medications work differently on people ...but i hope and pray that others who are imprisoned by RX pain pills can achieve the same results that i have received from this drug....God Bless!

...but i have developed a pretty good system for getting doctors to call in RX of pain pills......

we really can't believe anything you say since it is not possible for a doctor to phone in a pain script DEA rules say it has to be a hard copy and only 1 pain script per page

i know this for a fact

we really can't believe anything you say since it is not possible for a doctor to phone in a pain script DEA rules say it has to be a hard copy and only 1 pain script per page

i know this for a fact

If you look that was posted in 2013 when hydros weren't as regulated and could be called in....DEA rules changed in October 2014