• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The National Cancer Institute Rules Pot has Medicinal Uses

Kenickie

Bluelight Crew
The National Cancer Institute, one of the many federal agencies who make up the National Institute of Health, has ruled that marijuana does in fact have medical benefits, making it the first federal agency to do so.

The NCI has issued a statement that in clinical trials, cancer patients successfully treated nausea and vomiting, sleeplessness, pain, and loss of appetite using marijuana. It stated that cannabis was being investigated as having not only a palliative effect on symptoms, but also a possible "direct antitumor effect".

The IRS has been citing § 280E of the federal tax code as a means of disallowing years of business deductions for marijuana dispensaries, which, if allowed, would effectively put many of them out of business. § 280E states that no business deductions will be allowed for businesses "trafficking in controlled substances".

From the Washington Independent:

The new NCI assessment could have an impact on the classification of marijuana as a Schedule I drug, the harshest possible drug classification, which has resulted in a prison population in which 1 in 8 prisoners in the U.S. is locked up for a marijuana-related offense. One of the principal criteria for a Schedule I determination is that there be “no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.” The U.S. Justice Department may have a hard time maintaining that claim if challenged, considering a federal agency now recognizes marijuana’s medical use in cancer treatment.

article.

--------------------------------------------------

This may or may not lead to a law suit against the Schedule I classification of pot...we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome article, thanks for posting! I think that reclassification from schedule 1 to perhaps schedule 2 is more likely than it becoming full on legal. I hope the NCI gives them hell!

I hope NORML or SAFER decides to use this as a basis for a lawsuit. Colorado has the highest number of pot dispensaries per capita, I hope they are the state to do it! :D

The IRS has been citing § 280E of the federal tax code as a means of disallowing years of business deductions for marijuana dispensaries, which, if allowed, would effectively put many of them out of business. § 280E states that no business deductions will be allowed for businesses "trafficking in controlled substances".

what is a business deduction?

seriously?

I don't understand why paying a little more in taxes equals certain bankruptcy (as reported in various articles now).

Anybody who's ever sold before knows that the market changes and you gotta adapt. Sometimes the streets get flooded with new shit and demand decreases, so profits decrease. But, I mean, you adjust your budget and wait for the market to stabilize. You don't go and sell your children when revenue is down a bit.

The most the IRS can take from you is like 40% (I think that's what rich people pay), so you still gross 60%. Usually that's more than enough. Especially in this situation, where you never have to do wasteful shit like throw QPs out the window... Or buy ammo... Or pay people's bail... etc.

I don't understand why paying a little more in taxes equals certain bankruptcy (as reported in various articles now).

Anybody who's ever sold before knows that the market changes and you gotta adapt. Sometimes the streets get flooded with new shit and demand decreases, so profits decrease. But, I mean, you adjust your budget and wait for the market to stabilize. You don't go and sell your children when revenue is down a bit.

The most the IRS can take from you is like 40% (I think that's what rich people pay), so you still gross 60%. Usually that's more than enough. Especially in this situation, where you never have to do wasteful shit like throw QPs out the window... Or buy ammo... Or pay people's bail... etc.

the part of the tax code they are talking about is this:

No deduction or credit shall be allowed for any amount paid or incurred during the taxable year in carrying on any trade or business if such trade or business (or the activities which comprise such trade or business) consists of trafficking in controlled substances (within the meaning of schedule I and II of the Controlled Substances Act) which is prohibited by Federal law or the law of any State in which such trade or business is conducted.

business deductions (as from the small biz association) are:

Business expenses are the cost of conducting a trade or business. These expenses are common costs of doing business, and are usually tax deductible if your business is for-profit. For example, costs of renting a storefront, business travel and paying employees are all deductible business expenses.

it's not "paying a little more", it's paying the full tax rate on everything. It would effectively destroy any profit these places made, or even put them into debt.

Now we just need to get rid of all those dispenserys that are just in it for the money. Not the patients. Which is sadly almost all of them

Now we just need to get rid of all those dispenserys that are just in it for the money. Not the patients. Which is sadly almost all of them

now we just need to get rid of all those pharmacies that are just in it for the money. not the patients. which is sadly almost all of them

^ 100% True. Why is it when I get my pills filled it cost 4 times as much in some places? Because they are in it for the profit, if you want an example call and get price quotes from major pharmacies on generic medications and see how much it differs.

no, it's not 100% true. no business is in business for the good of people, if they were they'd be a non profit. it's silly to make this argument, because communism sucks.

back on topic...

I hope other federal Health agencies follow suit.

I am not making the argument that we should convert to Communism, I am just stating that it seems odd that certian places charge crazy prices while others don't. I guess it's at the discretion of the business as to what prices they charge, but it makes me wonder if the insurance companies research market cost of the pills or if they just pay whatever padding the pharmacy decides to add.

For the money? Dispensaries and pharmacies? Come on... Lets talk about hospitals. It shouldn't be $60 for 2 Tylenol's...

On another note, you've got people who are apparently having seizures and killing themselves because they are smoking spice, because they cannot smoke marijuana legally?

What about alcohol or tobacco?

Take a look at this:

Deaths by Cause:

Tobacco - 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity - 365,000
Alcohol - 85,000
Microbial Agents - 75,000
Toxic Agents - 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes - 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs - 32,000
Suicide - 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms - 29,000
Homicide - 20,308
Sexual Behaviors - 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect - 17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin - 7,600
Marijuana - 0

pills don't grow out of the earth

(oh shit this article's about cancer! sorry)

This medical marijuana movement seems to be happening rather quickly yea?

Since i have been keeping up on "drugs in the media" i continue to see nothing but positive articles on marijuana.

This medical marijuana movement seems to be happening rather quickly yea?

Since i have been keeping up on "drugs in the media" i continue to see nothing but positive articles on marijuana.

Definitely. I see legalization happening in the near future. I feel though, as this "drug war", is the government's way of keeping control of us. If they legalize it, they lose the war... and we have learned that we can regain control by speaking up, as it has been having a greater impact on these foolish laws.

They don't want to legalize it... Why? Because they can. They know that they have control and until they don't, they will fight hard as they can.

Celebrities, certain politicians, and "high ranking people" are coming forth and speaking for us. It's working.

It's been on TV more than ever, on the news about the fact that marijuana is not as bad as many people think...

“And if you are a thinker, and look at the marijuana situation and you’re not laughing…..you’re fucking dumb.”

- Joe Rogan

Yea it does seem to be all over now and people are really getting use to the idea.

And isnt there actual scientific evidence that the drug war is a failure?

Its gonna be pretty hard to argue science.