• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Bipolar Disorder Mega Thread

Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, a norepinephrine (and to a much much lesser extent at high doses, dopamine) reuptake inhibitor

Does anyone know at what point wellbutrin works "sufficiently" on dopamine I was thinking 450mg.

I have no clue about the wellbutrin. I've been on Lamictil, strattera, Celebrex, Zoloft, Latuda, abilify,and others that I cannot recall. Most have caused terrible side effects or worsening symptoms. Bipolar had only appeared after I had my daughter 17 months ago. Before that I just had anxiety. But bipolar has aggressively taken over my life. This past year I had admitted myself into a psyche ward because of it. I've had llonopi and it just doesn't seem as effective. My doctor has had me as her guinea pig for awhile. I'm exhausted of new medication. I have never been Perscribed valium though

Hey everyone. I am prescribed 10 mgs of Ambien for bed 100 mgs of Lamictal a day plus .5 mgs of Xanax three times a day to treat my bipolar/anxiety. I also self medicate with marijuana, booze, MXE, and Etizolam daily. Kind of sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen right? The thing is besides being moody and irritable sometimes, I am functioning well. I don't really expect to get any response to this post just wanted to join the thread and provide a little background information I guess. Feeling lost but things will get better somehow some way.

Positive thoughts aq it will pass just like everything always does. Keep your head up

Well i just might be bi-polar and that kind of makes sense. I am monitored closely for the past year undergoing inpatient and outpatient treatment, had my share of ups and downs and its quite a pattern.

I had periods of 3 or 4 hour sleep, jogging in the morning, work/therapy all day and this all while being absolutely clean and sober, starting up several projects at the same time related to school/work, outgoing, lots of energy, overall doing (too) great.

Mid november, in one day, everything changed, and a week later i was completely suicidal and depressed, allthough nothing changed in my daily routine. It was crushing...AGAIN when i was about to 'break free' i crashed.
This time it was so unbareable i tried to commit suicide...

Then, in a period of two days, i switched back to doing great, again, for no appearant reason, like nothing ever happened, racing thought....

I talked to my psychiatrist for an hour and a half and he made me do a quickscan for bi-polar and i scored 12 out of 13... Added to the fact is i got very 'manic' when there was a second ssri added to my normal med (first when added venlafaxine to pregabaline, second time when adding mirtazapine to venlafaxine)

Im now quiting the mirtazapine and am currently starting with quetiapine (seroquel) 50mg xr to replace it.

So, no ADD/GAD after all but 'just' b-polar?

It does fit though, there was actually a period in my life, when looking back, i must have been extremely manic. I had two jobs, used speed and coke, barely slept, but still managed to fucntion very good at work and with the ladies too haha...it all ended when i had some sort of dissociative fugue, i booked a year-long travel to New Zealand, quit my job, gave up my house, but ended up going to a hotel in another city and built up a new life and this all in a matter of weaks, it was crazy.

Im getting a second opinion now

I currently take 1350mg of lithium carbonate, 1200mg of triliptal,10mg ambien,60mg Paxil

For me this is the perfect combo of meds it controls me perfectly for example before the meds I'd wake up every morning thinking about suicide I even Tryed to commit suicide I was expelled from school 4 times and was in programs from 13-18 I thank my meds for my life

First.time on BL.in a while ... I come and go like the seasons and my.moods.

Was chronically.disillusioned with my.HMO so I finally cancelled.them.for.some.other self-serve option ... But I've been calling around to local Dr offices all month and can't even get one to.call.Me.back for intake.
Running low on meds. Not stable.anyway but skip half a dose and sh*t falls.apart.
Still battling alcoholism.as always too,good.times

Luckily I'm so.close to.getting out of debt that if I hold.out another month or.two.I could.afford to get fired, hospitalized,.sell.one.or.two.of.My vehicles, and.end.up flat broke.instead.of.drowning as.I.do now.

Ride it out Silver Feniks things can get better for you. I also battle with alcoholism and couldn't function without my medication. The thought of not being any terrifies me I know I would need to be hospitalized. You will find the help you need it is out there.

Kushnshrooms I can relate to waking up and feeling incredibly depressed in the mornings. It usually goes away once I wake up a little bit but the beginnings of my days are always the most difficult to get through.

Think my 'episode' is starting to dissipate - not entirely over but at least the psychosis has faded.
Hope you guys are faring well. <3

Still having the rather novel curiosity of 'word salad'; not sure if I'm making sense, creating words and doubting the existence of others.
Grammar and syntax are... I can't think of the correct term.

Last edited:
^^ glad to hear that <3

I just got put on Latuda, any experiences with this for bipolar?

Currently on... Lamictal, Clonazepam, Lorazepam, Prazosin & now Latuda (only took 1 dose so far)

I haven't taken it, no.
Lurasidone is rather interesting, though - an antidepressant anti psychotic would seem a good choice in Bipolar 1 treatment, instead of the usual combinations. Hell, it could help with Schizoaffective Disorder, truly effective SA treatment is desperately lacking.

Though it only gained approval in the last few years (2012, I think?) so there's very limited data on long term use/side effects.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :)

Called 3 more Psych offices this week, no luck.
If I'd known it was this hard to find a Dr. I would have kept my crap HMO, at least then I could see a Dr. Every few months and refill my halfway effective meds.

Still have a month supply luckily.since my last Dr. Gave me a 3 month supply my last month.

Feeling really homicidal today so I drank some beers and ate.Some etizolam to calm me.down but I gotta get out of that cycle soon.

How are you doing now SilverFeniks? It's been about a week, so I hope things are a bit better.

Ride it out Silver Feniks things can get better for you. I also battle with alcoholism and couldn't function without my medication. The thought of not being any terrifies me I know I would need to be hospitalized. You will find the help you need it is out there.

Kushnshrooms I can relate to waking up and feeling incredibly depressed in the mornings. It usually goes away once I wake up a little bit but the beginnings of my days are always the most difficult to get through.

It was horrible to the point were I'd cut myself and literally contemplate suicide multiple times a day

Well as I've posted elsewhere, I had a wonderful week where I ordered an RC 'benzo' from a Euro supplier. Instead got some Chinese chemical. That didn't get me remotely high, but days later caused a breakdown of motor skills that involved visiting two ERs, wracking up $6500 in bills, missing a week of work, then finally returning to my usual semi-skewed self this week.

Have appts with some nurses the next few months (can't find a real Dr.), hopefully they can help.
Until then its the same day-to-day meds,beer, and mental instability.

Sorry you have been having such shit luck. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.

I have been getting hit with SAD pretty bad and just general depression. I have just gone back on Wellbutrin but it's too early to tell if it's working. I guess if i get bad enough i could take a tricyclic such as Trimipramine with it even though both act as Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. With the Lamictal and Seroquel i shouldn't go manic.

Wellbutrin seemed tow work really well for you, man. It definitely has anti-manic properties.

Wellbutrin has actual anti-depressant properties that kick in fairly quick as it is a Dopamine Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and unlike just about every other anti-depressant out there doesn't screw with Serotonin. It does not act as a anti-manic but that's what i have Lamotrigine and Quetiapine for. Thankfully both of those have anti-depressant properties as well so they sort of add to the Wellbutrin. Quetiapine seems to work really well even by itself as a anti-depressant so it certainly adds to the Bupropion.

I just hate this i don't want to do anything type bipolar depression.