• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using Oxymetazoline nasal spray before snorting.

WorldWarMe

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys, I tend to always have a clogged nose and I plan on snorting some methylphenidate today. Would it be ok to use some Oxymetazoline nose spray to clear my nose before snorting or would that cause interactions or stop the ritalin from working? Thanks in advanced.

If it's a vasoconstrictor I think it might reduce the high as it would be harder for the methylpheidate to absorb. I would suggest a saline irrigation.

Assuming you're talking about the OTC sprays that contain saline and oxymetazoline, it may reduce the nasal absorption of the methylphenidate because oxymetazoline is a vasoconstrictor (making it an effective decongestant, but that means less of your methylphenidate will be absorbed through your nasal membranes).

I recommend using a straight saline nasal spray instead. They are available OTC.

Alright, I don't have any saline so I'll just do without.
One more question, does the methylphenidate have to go all the way up the nose for it to work?

Saline means salt water.
neti_pot.jpg

One more question, does the methylphenidate have to go all the way up the nose for it to work?
No but you want it to evenly disperse over the membranes up past the soft cartilage.

Alright, I don't have any saline so I'll just do without.

When you snort a powder, the membranes inside your nose and sinuses absorb it directly, this is because the membranes in there are very thin, and there are blood vessels very close to the surface, allowing the substance in question (in your case, methylphenidate) to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream. However, not all the powder is going to be absorbed, some of it will fall into the back of your throat (this is called a "drip") where it gets swallowed/falls into your stomach and is absorbed as if you had just eaten the pill or swallowed the powder.

So make sure you inhale through your nostrils after snorting the methylphenidate so none of the powder gets stuck in your nose or sinuses.

It is for this reason that using a (sterile!) saline spray or rinse is recommended after you snort something. It does a good job of cleaning all that excess powder out of your nose and sinuses.

Cocaine too is a vasoconstrictor, but we can snort all night without a problem. I don't see any harm in the usage of this nasal spray and I don't think the vasoconstriction will cost the user serious loss of the drug. Just be safe with it.

Regular use of vasoconstricting nasal aprays can cause rebound congestion. I think a straight saline spray would be nicer for your nose.

^This is true. You can get straight saline at any pharmacy. Just make sure that the ingredients are ONLY salt (sodium chloride) and water or "saline". I've used "saline" nasal sprays and then I actually read the bottle and it had oxymetazoline in it after all.

^This is true. You can get straight saline at any pharmacy. Just make sure that the ingredients are ONLY salt (sodium chloride) and water or "saline". I've used "saline" nasal sprays and then I actually read the bottle and it had oxymetazoline in it after all.

I really don't think the vasoconstriction will be that big of a deal. Cocaine is an extremely potent vasoconstrictor, but we can snort for days and still get high.

Regular use of vasoconstricting nasal aprays can cause rebound congestion. I think a straight saline spray would be nicer for your nose.

that stuff will cause rebound congestion like a mofo, im talking cement in your sinuses stuffed up, its terrible.

if you decide to use that nasal spray, follow the directions on the back and not use it for more than 2 or 3 days in a row. i used to be literally hooked on this stuff because i could nt breathe without it, when i stopped i couldnt breathe thru my nose for 3 weeks lol it sucked.

I use oxymetazoline spray with mephedrone quite often and haven't noticed a decrease in effects at all. In fact, it usually makes me even more tweaky because of its stimulant effects combined with those of meph.

My advice: Use as little as possible. If saline works for decongestion (doesn't do shit for me), go with that.