I submitted this to the Erowid vault too but I feel like posting it here as well might be beneficial to some people.
After maintaining a daily oxycodone/hydromorphone/morphine habit for eight months, I decided enough was enough (running out of money was definitely a factor) and quickly tapered down to nothing over a few days. The withdrawal sucked, and while I resisted the temptation to use for a good month or so, the cravings became too hard to deal with. Figuring a weak opiate was a far better option than a strong one, I bought a bottle of AC&C, a Canadian OTC preparation containing 8mg codeine phosphate, 15mg caffeine and 300mg aspirin per pill. Since perfecting my extraction method, I've been using codeine 3-5 times a week and have had no urge whatsoever to go back to harder opiates. I don't suffer any withdrawal symptoms on the days I don't use it.
I originally stumbled upon this tek somewhere online and, through various trials, have modified it to make it as fast and brainless as possible. Using this technique you can get somewhere between a gram and a gram and a half of relatively pure codeine phosphate for $8, one 200 count bottle. You'll have to bear with me when it comes to describing the syringe, I don't know the technical terms for any of that stuff.
- one 200ct bottle of generic AC&C tablets (I use the Stanley brand from a Rexall-affiliated pharmacy. "Life" brand pills from Shopper's Drug Mart work too, really well actually, but are also quite expensive. when I tried with the Safeway generics, it didn't work, so shop around for the good ones). they NEED to be AC&C, Tylenol #1s won't work.
- one 30cc oral syringe
- paper towel
- a sink
- one small container for liquids (like a shot glass or small prescription bottle)
- one larger container for liquids (like a small cup)
- [optional] a Magic Bullet
- take a shot glass or washed out pill bottle and fill it with cold tap water. throw that shit in the freezer, by the time you take it out ~15 minutes later it should be just starting to form an icy layer on top.
- grind up the pills into a fine dust. I use a Magic Bullet blender to pulverize the entire bottle at once, but I used to just go at 'em with a rock hammer until they were all ground up and it worked fine. make sure it's all finely ground, no chunks.
- take a 1.5x1.5in square of paper towel and fold it in half twice to make a smaller square. moisten it with the sink.
- remove the plunger from the syringe and use any stick-like instrument to poke the paper towel square down to the bottom of the syringe, creating a porous plug between the soon-to-be-contents and the opening.
- carefully pour approximately 20 pills worth of powder into the barrel of the syringe, on top of the paper towel. this should fill about 10-15cc worth of the barrel. you can use anywhere from 15-25 pills, making sure to adjust the amount water of accordingly.
- gently tap the syringe a few times by letting it fall in your loose grip about an inch onto a flat surface, to settle the contents. the same way you'd pack a cone joint. this should leave the top of the powder at about the 8-12cc mark on the side of the syringe. don't compress it too much or the extraction WILL NOT WORK. six or eight taps is enough.
- this next step needs to be done as one fluid process. while holding the syringe upright (exit hole facing downwards) over top of your larger collection container, pour about 5cc of cold water from the shot glass into the barrel of the syringe. it will sit on top of the powder layer, but will start seeping into it quickly. right after you pour the water in, reinsert the plunger into the top of the syringe and start squeezing the water through the powder and out into the larger container. keep the syringe upright the entire time. the first few drops might "sizzle" a little but they should turn clear after 5-10 drops. after maybe 60 drops have gone through, they will start to look white and opaque and start bubbling and sizzling as they come out of the syringe. stop collecting at this point.
You should, at this point, have a container with about 1/6 shot of water in it. Dissolved in that water is (hopefully) the vast majority of the original codeine (160mg), a tiny amount of caffeine (<50mg), and no aspirin. The reason this works is because the aspirin isn't soluble in cold water at all, and while caffeine is, you can't fit that much in such a small amount of water. The solubility of caffeine in 25 degree water is 22mg/ml and it goes down as the water gets colder. Since you're only using ~5ml of water, the most caffeine that could fit in there is about 100mg, and that's if you fuck around and don't use COLD water (it should be icy cold). Shoot that shit down and prepare for the worst taste your mouth has ever experienced. If 160mg isn't enough to float your boat, repeat the entire process again to get 320mg. I usually do two extractions like this and take 320mg, which feels more like somewhere between 200 and 300 (you're bound to lose a little codeine, but it's better than nothing). I've tried 480mg twice, the first time I had a histamine reaction and was extremely itchy and hot, but high enough that it wasn't that uncomfortable. Second time I popped 25mg of diphenhydramine half an hour after taking the codeine and just got really high. The first time I did this it took about 20 minutes. Now that I'm good at it, it takes about 5 minutes per 20 pill extraction.
By the way, it really seems like the second/third codeine highs of the day are different, if that's what you're into. Not as warm and comfortable, more analgesic.