• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-meo-dmt smells like perfume?

ODB

Bluelighter
So I dreamed about some 5-meo-dmt freebase that smelled like perfume. In my dream I was wondering why it didnt have the regular mothball 5meodmt and dmt usually have in my dreams? Does it need to be washed?

Most 5-MeO-DMT on the market is pretty filthy. Not sure how to clean it up, though,

probably leftover solvent. some of the esters smell lovely.

nobody can possibly tell you what it is over the internet

All indoleamines smell kinda perfumery to me. And some of the JWH's really smell like jasmine to me. Indole Indole Indole......

Couldn't it be dissolved in a liquid then use charcoal? I saw it posted as a way to get rid of the yellow in extracted dmt.

I find even excellent synthetic DMT to smell like fruity incense so I think that the similar smell my less than pure 5-MeO-DMT has is not from solvents. That synthetic DMT does have much LESS of a smell than freshly extracted DMT though, which is still wet with non-polar solvent at that point. The solvent smell similar to the DMT itself to me, but much stronger, more penetrating / stingy and offensive. I wonder if the evaporation of the solvent takes DMT with it so that you smell the DMT much more than when no solvent is in there??
The DMTs, I guess they are actually pretty aromatic themselves (not meaning that in the chemical sense. It depends on what you mean by perfume-y doesn't it? How on earth is this advanced discussion though?

Edit: No synth discussion. -phrozen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reduced indole3-carboxaldehyde (the starting material for this route is 5-methoxy-indole-3-carboxaldehyde, esp using reagents like LiAlH4 can lead to skatole (3-methylindole). Indole may be like jasmine in very low concentrations but skatole ios what gives shit it's smell (hence most AMT synthed by this route hass a shitty like smell!)

It's weird how hard it is to explain how something smells, isn't it? You'd think we might have a way of doing that, what with all our fancy "language" we humans are so proud of.

Skatole actually smells pleasant in low concentrations, IIRC; I think it's used in some perfumes.

Also the chemist in me would like to remind you that nitro compounds do not contain pentavalent nitrogen.

Last edited:
Reduced indole3-carboxaldehyde (the starting material for this route is 5-methoxy-indole-3-carboxaldehyde, esp using reagents like LiAlH4 can lead to skatole (3-methylindole). Indole may be like jasmine in very low concentrations but skatole ios what gives shit it's smell (hence most AMT synthed by this route hass a shitty like smell!)

Why would his 5meodmt smell the same?

Because it is an indolic / tryptamine analogue - is that not a good reason enough?

ODB, I cant move this thread, I have no power in ADD. :) The chemistry of smells and aroma's seems to be getting more advanced though so I won't nag.

The synth pic *might* need to take a hike though, since there is no synthesis discussion unfortunately. The connection with skatole has been made already anyway. :)

I've gotten very "attuned" to indole over the years, and it is all about concentration, and what it is mixed with that makes it either smell like "shit" or like perfume. Same with skatole, it is much like conventional perfumery in this sense, with top notes, carriers, etc. I believe jasmine is only 1-5% indole, but it is definitely the signature fragrance sandwiched in between all else. See link below for some info on Indole and perfumery, fascinating stuff...

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2010/05/jasmine-indolic-vs-non-indolic.html

And while I am reluctant to refer to the smell of shit as a bouquet I will say that skatole is just one component of a complex smell, to put it lightly:D I find shit to smell far more offensive than skatole or indole, but that may be because it just isn't as useful. ;)

Last edited:
Because it is an indolic / tryptamine analogue - is that not a good reason enough?

No it is not good enough and chill out bro.

fastandbulbous, Would there be an effective way to clean the compound?
And as raggedy asked could that be the same chemicals that make the 5meodmt smell the same? I mean is there a 5meodmt synth that uses LiAlH4?

^^^ If that is not a good answer, than you are not looking for the answer. As stated, things that contain an indole nucleus, and/or unreacted indole impurities smell like indole, which smells like shit/perfume. 5-MeO Indole is used in the synthesis of 5-Meo DMT. It smells like shit/perfume as well.
LiAlH4 can be used in the reduction to 5-MeO DMT, yes. But that is not the source of your smell. (you really don't want to smell that one...burns the fuck out of your moist nose). FnB was just pointing out that using it as a reducing agent could lead to a skatole-like byproduct.

If you are concerned about the smell you could recrystallize it in hexane, heptane, whatever. But it has it's own intrinsic smell. . . Take a guess what that may be. (Hint: shit/perfume)

^^^ If that is not a good answer, than you are not looking for the answer.

Did you ever think that I wasn't following what he was saying?????

That is why the answer wasnt good enough and I asked more questions.

After reading your post I did understand and now it is enough.

Because I do not know as much about chemistry as you doesn't give you the right to be a jerk.

They use trace amounts of skatole in synthetic jasmine scents IIRC.

Traces of it have a jasmine-like perfumy smell, larger amounts smell, as the name suggests, of ordure.

No it is not good enough and chill out bro.

fastandbulbous, Would there be an effective way to clean the compound?
And as raggedy asked could that be the same chemicals that make the 5meodmt smell the same? I mean is there a 5meodmt synth that uses LiAlH4?

I'm totally chilled, didn't mean to put any malicious tone in it, and it just so happens that I did think it was a good reason. So the joke is actually on me. No need to take it like that. Enough of that, I feel bad for ruining ADD.

It is a good question to consider if the scents of these compounds are actually the compounds themselves or a minute trace of these very powerful ones.

About your question, the answer seems to be yes:
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/deuterio-dmt.synthesis.html
http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal06.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal38.shtml

I don't think it's synth discussion to point out that in both cases its used to reduce the glyoxylamides,
There is absolutely no value in the info I gave which is already very public.

Anyway starting from the indoles the pathway seems to be quite similar so the culprit with 5-MeO-DMT might be 5-MeO-skatole, correct?

But, DMT also occurs naturally and I don't think plants use LAH ;) so doesn't that pretty much prove that there is more to the scent than the impurities? Of course it could be that plants that make DMT also make other smelly indoles. DMT doesn't fall out of the sky, there is always a path to it, with or without LAH. But it's the compounds themselves that also seem to have their particular (not bad) aroma's even when pure, though not that strong. (My father however did not think it smelled nice when I had a baggy of 5-MeO-DMT open.). But it doesn't mean that skatole or skatole analogues or completely different indoles cannot add something pungent to the bouquet to make it smell like you are managing a cattle farm inside your house or burning aMT freebase as incense.

Last edited:
All the 5meo-dmt I've seen had a fairly strong chemical odor, but it was nothing like either shit or perfume.